Harvard Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

State your section!

Section 1
9%
Section 2
16%
Section 3
11%
Section 4
9%
Section 5
27%
Section 6
11%
Section 7
17%

Total votes: 75

codyoneill

Bronze

Re: Harvard Class of 2017

Post by codyoneill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:11 pm

lawbeahs wrote:What do you guys think about renting used books? Any significant drawbacks you could see? Buying or renting new is way too expensive.
I just received my rentals from Amazon and they are highlighted all over (some have notes in the margin) and one has a split in the binding. If those things are going to bother you then it could be a big deal, but I couldn't care less. I just took photos in case Amazon tries to blame me for the damage.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:50 pm

codyoneill wrote:
lawbeahs wrote:What do you guys think about renting used books? Any significant drawbacks you could see? Buying or renting new is way too expensive.
I just received my rentals from Amazon and they are highlighted all over (some have notes in the margin) and one has a split in the binding. If those things are going to bother you then it could be a big deal, but I couldn't care less. I just took photos in case Amazon tries to blame me for the damage.
Pretty much this. If you are renting sight-unseen then its best to assume that your books will be like codyoneil's (though it isn't a guarantee, of course). If you like a cleaner book, or don't like a few possible torn pages, etc. then used renting is probably out. The exception to this is that if you can rent used and see the books beforehand, that way you can pick the ones you like. Amazon used to let you send back a rented book if you thought it was too trashed, not sure if they still do that, however continuously sending books back and forth might not be something you are willing to do.

PotenC

Bronze

Post by PotenC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:13 pm

I'm in the same section as cody, and I also ordered all the required text through Amazon. The only difference is that I bought used (except for one) instead of renting, and the total came to a hair over $400. I've read on reddit that you're able to trade in the vast majority of your used books back to Amazon for credit at the end of the semester, and that's what I'm banking on. I could always use Amazon credit for next semester's books, so it should work out OK. Can't speak on the extent of highlighting yet.

ga208

New

Post by ga208 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:54 pm

TripTrip wrote:
hop wrote: Also, this weekend is tax free in MA, so you can save 6.25% if you order books then....
Every day is state sales-tax-free day if you order online. :)
MA started charging on Amazon purchases in November. But this Saturday and Sunday Aug. 16 and 17 are tax-free weekend in MA - so Amazon (or other mail-order places) shouldn't charge if purchased on these two days.

The coop never charges tax on textbooks at any time during the year.

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:35 pm

codyoneill wrote:
Mind sharing how much the full rental costs came out to?

Comparing to $550-600 new, and $460 used (both amazon from what i've seen so far in this thread).

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sjgonzalez3

Bronze

Post by sjgonzalez3 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:36 pm

wtrc wrote:Heads up that we get Microsoft Office for free, so don't buy it like I almost did.
Details? I was also about to buy it just now.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:45 am

sjgonzalez3 wrote:
wtrc wrote:Heads up that we get Microsoft Office for free, so don't buy it like I almost did.
Details? I was also about to buy it just now.
You can go to the computer lab in WCC and they will install in on your computer for you via USB. (There might be other ways to get it free, but this is the one I know of for sure).

http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/admini ... t.html#buy

codyoneill

Bronze

Post by codyoneill » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:45 am

sjgonzalez3 wrote:
codyoneill wrote:

Comparing to $550-600 new, and $460 used (both amazon from what i've seen so far in this thread).

Thanks!
Just checked my amazon.

Rental came out to: $245.89
Plus one book I bought: $59.91

So grand total: $305.80

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:29 am

On sites like campusbooks.com there are occasionally really good deals for rentals, but they get snatched up so fast. I got the Torts book for $21 rented (now the cheapest I can find is $80 to rent and $220 to buy new), but it's SO written in, so I'm thinking I might need to return it..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:34 pm

codyoneill wrote:
sjgonzalez3 wrote:
codyoneill wrote:

Thanks!
Just checked my amazon.

Rental came out to: $245.89
Plus one book I bought: $59.91

So grand total: $305.80
I bought one book and rented the rest, and came out to around $300 as well.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:44 pm

I got all mine used for <$400, which when I sell back at end of semester (and I can either do a bit of work and sell them back myself, or use a site that pays for shipping but gives a less rate than selling oneself such as http://www.ecampus.com/) should definitely come to paying under $200. Selling your own books direct through like half.com is really easy, and saves $$$

stmichael91

New

Post by stmichael91 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:12 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that a lot of the textbooks can be rented at Barnes and Noble for almost half the price. I'm honestly a bit worried because it's so much cheaper than everywhere else, but if the books are half legible, then seems like a good deal. I got all my books for just over 300 dollars. All rented.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:32 pm

FYI: Though the Harvard Square area is for the most part very safe, there is usually a few robberies and break-ins during the beginning of the academic year (a couple of my friends had their ground floor apartments broken into last September). Statistically, there's little need to worry, just be aware of your surroundings and keep those ground floor windows secure.

Finally, don't forget that the dress code for orientation is black tie.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PotenC

Bronze

Post by PotenC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:59 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:Finally, don't forget that the dress code for orientation is black tie.

asdfdsa

New

Post by asdfdsa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:07 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote: Finally, don't forget that the dress code for orientation is black tie.
But really, what are people wearing for orientation?

jasper09

Bronze

Post by jasper09 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:23 pm

asdfdsa wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote: Finally, don't forget that the dress code for orientation is black tie.
I was going to go with nice jeans and tops and/or casual dresses...essentially what I'd be wearing to class so that I'm presentable but not overly casual or frumpy. Except for those field day activities...pretty sure I'd want something more comfortable for that.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:15 pm

jasper09 wrote:
asdfdsa wrote:
I was going to go with nice jeans and tops and/or casual dresses...essentially what I'd be wearing to class so that I'm presentable but not overly casual or frumpy. Except for those field day activities...pretty sure I'd want something more comfortable for that.
Probably guy version of this. Jeans, maybe a collared shirt/button up shirt?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:57 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:
jasper09 wrote:
asdfdsa wrote:
Probably guy version of this. Jeans, maybe a collared shirt/button up shirt?
"Harvard Law Just Kidding" t shirt is tcr

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:21 pm

asdfdsa wrote:
Um, the same stuff I'm gonna be wearing for class.

mino

New

Post by mino » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Lmao at this rate I feel like we're going to be seeing the entire range from sweatpants to black tie at orientaiton. :D

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:12 pm

I honestly hadn't thought about what I was going to wear. I must be letting my obsessiveness slip. Probably jeans and a decent shirt for picture day, whatever for the other days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Acid washed jeans and wolf shirt ftw.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:40 pm

HorseThief wrote:Acid washed jeans and wolf shirt ftw.
You need a porkpie hat and a leather jacket to really complete the look.

tparks

New

Post by tparks » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:12 am

Hey guys, room for one more? 8) Just got in off the waitlist!

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 am

tparks wrote:Hey guys, room for one more? 8) Just got in off the waitlist!
CONGRATS AND WELCOME!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”