Cornell Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
alinor

New

Re: Cornell Class of 2017

Post by alinor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Serett wrote:
vicpin5190 wrote:
alinor wrote:Holy cow! Just got my letter! Got way more than anticipated!

Splitter, live in TX. PM for more details if you want.
ugh. I'm up in Wisconsin and haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping I get something in the mail soon. Even if it says go fuck yourself. I just want closure.
+1 to nothing in Wisconsin, but I don't think the mail has come yet today.
I had given up on getting an envelope! My letter was dated over 10 days ago, but was just mailed in the last 3 days. Maybe y'all's will arrive in the next day or so. :)

bincognito

New

Post by bincognito » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:08 pm

Has anyone tried to negotiate yet or have advice?

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:39 pm

SteelPenguin wrote::shock: Cornell is a very kind and generous school. They've been worth waiting for. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

+1!!!!

Still out of town but broke down and begged a friend to go check my mail for me :lol:

pm if you want more info
Last edited by OliveBC on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:57 pm

bincognito wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate yet or have advice?
And a related question...what schools are most receptive to matching Cornell's offer?

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:14 pm

kenwash wrote:
bincognito wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate yet or have advice?
And a related question...what schools are most receptive to matching Cornell's offer?
Negotiations and matching of offers best work within hierarchies, so in the case of Cornell it would be NU, GTown, Duke and maybe Michigan. Some would debate the latter, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:16 pm

To those who already received scholarship offers, when did you submit your financial aid applications with all the required paperwork?

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:29 pm

AAJD2B wrote:To those who already received scholarship offers, when did you submit your financial aid applications with all the required paperwork?
I submitted everything but the 2012 tax returns on 2/15, the tax returns I didn't submit until 3/14 when I frantically realized that yes they did need those :oops:

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Just received my letter in the mail and Im actually pleasantly surprised.

$135,000
Stats in my profile.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:39 pm

AAJD2B wrote:To those who already received scholarship offers, when did you submit your financial aid applications with all the required paperwork?
I faxed my info on March 15.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Otunga wrote:Cornell estimates room and board as $11250. Good estimate?
I would say so if you like to order in or go to restaurants at least once a week.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:35 am

Received my aid email today. It wasn't what I was expecting.

bryanjbay12

Bronze

Post by bryanjbay12 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:19 am

applelover wrote:Received my aid email today. It wasn't what I was expecting.
More or less than you expected? Does everyone receive their aid through email?

thywizardofwit

New

Post by thywizardofwit » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:24 am

OliveBC wrote:
I submitted everything but the 2012 tax returns on 2/15, the tax returns I didn't submit until 3/14 when I frantically realized that yes they did need those :oops:
wait, we need to send them our tax returns? I never got any information saying that this was the case...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:58 am

bryanjbay12 wrote:
applelover wrote:Received my aid email today. It wasn't what I was expecting.
More or less than you expected? Does everyone receive their aid through email?
Less. I received a letter in the mail.

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 am

thywizardofwit wrote:
OliveBC wrote:
wait, we need to send them our tax returns? I never got any information saying that this was the case...
Check your admittance letter.

alinor

New

Post by alinor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 am

AAJD2B wrote:
thywizardofwit wrote:
OliveBC wrote:
Check your admittance letter.
The scholarship letter says that all entering students need to submit them, not that all applicants need to submit them. I will submit the returns if I decide to enroll, but not any earlier.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:11 am

This is from the admitted student PDF they send when you get in. Maybe you don't actually have to submit them until enrollment...but I thought that this meant they were required for financial aid consideration when I read this. They also mentioned that you needed to submit them as well as the FASFA at the admitted students program I was at (but that 2012 tax returns are fine for now until 2013 returns are finalized).

But if you already received your offer without submitting them then who knows :lol:

edit: or I guess if you're not applying for need based aid or federal loans then the tax returns aren't necessary?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Full ride (essentially), $150,000. In shock...have to visit Ithaca now.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Re: Cornell Class of 2017 (Now with $$$$)

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

Cornell's generosity is one of the reasons I think it deserves more respect on TLS. For NYC biglaw, I think a lot of people would be better off taking Cornell w/ money over CCN at sticker, but it seems like a lot of people won't even consider it.

Congrats again to all that have received schollies, and good luck to those of you that are still waiting. Mine wasn't mailed for a while after the date on the letter, so don't give up hope.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am

If we applied for merit aid only, NeedAccess and tax forms were not required, correct?

bpc2110

New

Post by bpc2110 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 am

Hughes Hall question --- do you have to submit deposit BEFORE applying? Can I apply for Hughes without submitting deposit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:36 am

SteelPenguin wrote:Cornell's generosity is one of the reasons I think it deserves more respect on TLS. For NYC biglaw, I think a lot of people would be better off taking Cornell w/ money over CCN at sticker, but it seems like a lot of people won't even consider it.
+1

I am pretty baffled by Cornell's generosity. Is this something they do every year? Cornell, I am so sorry for doubting you (but your tuition is still pretty damn high, just sayin')

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:37 am

bpc2110 wrote:Hughes Hall question --- do you have to submit deposit BEFORE applying? Can I apply for Hughes without submitting deposit?
Yes. You can apply now. You just won't get an assignment until after you submit your seat deposit.
SplitMyPants wrote:If we applied for merit aid only, NeedAccess and tax forms were not required, correct?
Correct. But as noted before, taxes will be needed if you take out any federal loans.
SteelPenguin wrote:Cornell's generosity is one of the reasons I think it deserves more respect on TLS. For NYC biglaw, I think a lot of people would be better off taking Cornell w/ money over CCN at sticker, but it seems like a lot of people won't even consider it.

Congrats again to all that have received schollies, and good luck to those of you that are still waiting. Mine wasn't mailed for a while after the date on the letter, so don't give up hope.
I don't know if I would characterize it as significantly more generous than other, similarly ranked schools who throw money at applicants with numbers in the CCN range. It does seem like they're being a little more generous this year, though. But based on my experience, I do agree that more people should be willing to consider Cornell with $$$ over CCN with less money.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 am

Gets super excited about possible scholarship info....only to be super let down by the email....sigh

Dear Admitted Student,

In the event that you have been accepted to Cornell Law School, and wish to be considered for Financial Aid, you must submit the Cornell Law School Financial Aid Information Sheet. If you have already submitted this form, please disregard this notice; if you have yet to submit it, however, I would ask that you please do so at your earliest convenience. Please disregard the printed March 15th deadline, as we continue to review files.

Thanks very much!

EvMont

Bronze

Post by EvMont » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:40 am

Bajam wrote:Gets super excited about possible scholarship info....only to be super let down by the email....sigh

Dear Admitted Student,

In the event that you have been accepted to Cornell Law School, and wish to be considered for Financial Aid, you must submit the Cornell Law School Financial Aid Information Sheet. If you have already submitted this form, please disregard this notice; if you have yet to submit it, however, I would ask that you please do so at your earliest convenience. Please disregard the printed March 15th deadline, as we continue to review files.

Thanks very much!
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”