Georgetown Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

What seems be your hardest class?

Ks
5%
Civ Pro
35%
Torts
10%
Con Law
5%
Crim
No votes
LRW
10%
I'm in §3...
35%

Total votes: 20

gelato

New

Re: Georgetown Class of 2017

Post by gelato » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Checking in!

Section 3/Curriculum B sounds amazing. Do employers care one way or the other? How many students do Curriculum B (vs Curriculum A)?

Thanks.

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:12 am

snapdragon25 wrote:Congrats new admits!! I know finals are coming up, but at some point I'd love to hear from current students about off-campus housing. Where do most students live/hang out? I'd love to live in a lively, young area ideally just a couple red line stops from the law school.
What do you think of NoMa and Dupont circle?
Of course about 1/3 of students live in the dorms. The area immediately around campus is alright, but super pricey since it's right by the capital. Most off-campus students live nearby around Chinatown or up in NoMa. NoMA is all new buildings with really nice facilities. There's also a Harris Teeter there which is very convenient (a lot of students live above the Harris Teeter in Flats 130). If you want comfort in an apartment, that area's your best bet and is within walking/biking distance of campus. It's not really that lively since it's still under heavy construction, but it's a nice area and getting better every year.

DuPont has some of the best bars and restaurants in the city. Other than U Street, it's probably the most popular nightlife area among students. We have Bar Review in DuPont practically every week. I don't really know many people that live there though. It's a popular area, so that makes it pricier. If you're going to live somewhere where you need to take the Metro to school, you usually want your apartment to be cheaper to make up for it (daily Metro ain't cheap).

Important Note:
Don't look too early. DC housing has very fast overturn, so they don't let you sign leases more than a couple months before you move in. Also, if you're planning to go with the (much cheaper) non-apartment route like I did, you probably won't find anything until the Summer. I found my place on Craig's List in July. Signed my lease that week and was moving in about 2 weeks later. People in the dorms don't move in until Orientation, but getting to the city before then is a blast. That 2-3 week period before cclasses started was one of the best times of my life. No school, no job, just hanging out with all my classmates I just met, seeing the city and going out every single night.
gelato wrote:Checking in!

Section 3/Curriculum B sounds amazing. Do employers care one way or the other? How many students do Curriculum B (vs Curriculum A)?

Thanks.
Not really. Section 3 is just for your first year. Employers care way more about 2L and 3L year, when you're taking the same classes as everyone else anyway. It's just about grades whatever section you're in.
Not sure how many there are, but it's just 1 section out of 6 1L sections here. The sections are each around 75-80 students, so I'd presume that's how many are in section 3.

buttes

Bronze

Post by buttes » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Section 3 is actually the largest section because of the demand to get into to it. That said, it's still not huge ~110.

As far as employees, during 2L OCI the only time section 3 stuff came up was with GULC Alumni interviewers who either were in or had friends in Section 3. Granted I'm IP/patent focused so my employers just might not have cared about 1L beyond the grades.

anon1538

New

Post by anon1538 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:38 pm

buttes wrote:Section 3 is actually the largest section because of the demand to get into to it. That said, it's still not huge ~110.

As far as employees, during 2L OCI the only time section 3 stuff came up was with GULC Alumni interviewers who either were in or had friends in Section 3. Granted I'm IP/patent focused so my employers just might not have cared about 1L beyond the grades.
Am interested in IP/patents. How did OCI at GULC go for you? What kind of grades do you need to have for a shot at BigLaw? What markets can you hope to get into?

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:15 pm

kraffcook wrote:Of course about 1/3 of students live in the dorms. The area immediately around campus is alright, but super pricey since it's right by the capital. Most off-campus students live nearby around Chinatown or up in NoMa.
Thanks for the advice! My lease is up on July 1, so my boyfriend and I will probably move out to DC then so I'll have 2 glorious months of freedom before school starts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

linkx13

Bronze

Post by linkx13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:23 am

Anyone hear anything about the admitted students event next month? I still haven't received anything to sign up.

waddle

New

Post by waddle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Checking in! Have a couple of offers to weigh, but excited at the prospect of GULC and moving back to DC!

ShrimpToastMasters

Bronze

Post by ShrimpToastMasters » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 am

linkx13 wrote:Anyone hear anything about the admitted students event next month? I still haven't received anything to sign up.
dean cornblatt sent an email today?

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:05 am

Anyone know if GULC offers travel stipends?

Really would love to visit!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:05 am

pcthenls wrote:Anyone know if GULC offers travel stipends?

Really would love to visit!!!
Unfortunately, no. If you come for the Open House, they'll let you stay with a student to avoid paying for a hotel, but travel costs will be on you. I ended up using financial aid money from my undergrad to visit last year and luckily, late January is the cheapest time to fly ($120 round trip from Florida).
Best option is probably to save up and visit multiple schools at once. I visited GULC, William and Mary, and UVA all in one trip, crashing on peoples' couches the whole time.

anon1538

New

Post by anon1538 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 am

Anyone know when the admitted students website will open up?

gelato

New

Post by gelato » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:55 pm

ShrimpToastMasters wrote:
linkx13 wrote:Anyone hear anything about the admitted students event next month? I still haven't received anything to sign up.
dean cornblatt sent an email today?
Didn't receive one... actually I also haven't received my congratulatory email... that's supposed to happen a week or so after you receive your acceptance in the mail, right? I got in around Nov 27.

I guess I'll just wait a few weeks and call 'em after the holidays if necessary. Unless any of you magical unicorns have answers?

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:54 pm

The admitted students site is up!! Their welcome video made me feel all fuzzy and special and there's a lot of good info there.

There's a "meet us" tab at the top where you can RSVP for the open house.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon1538

New

Post by anon1538 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:11 am

Out of curiousity, are there options at Gewirz for families or is it only singles?

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:16 pm

anon1538 wrote:Out of curiousity, are there options at Gewirz for families or is it only singles?
Just students. I'd be dragging my boyfriend to DC, so it looks like off-campus for us!

felicianocalamity

New

Post by felicianocalamity » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:59 am

For the January Open House, how valuable is it to go on Thursday? Taking off work both days might be difficult but if the events on Thursday (the alumni/career services panel, deans' introductions, optional events, etc) are worth it I could try.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Hello. Trying to decide what ASW to go to. Very excited to be in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Checking in! Got in a while ago, but I'm rather new to the forum world in these here interwebs (I also just thought it was a series of tubes).

Been living in DC for almost a year now. Working in politics (shocker, right?) so I'd love to stick around but that's only a partly legitimate basis on which to choose a law school. Soooooooo anything I should be saying or doing around here? Any insight on what I should be looking for in comparing law schools (and I wouldn't blame you if you suggested criteria that favored G'town).

Also, are those dumb questions?

Also also, not to be a troll, but as DC goes, GULC is not in the best location IMHO. DC is amazing. If coming to a happening, cool (I walk past the Capitol every day for work, and I promise you it never gets old -- although scaffolding is going up soon, WTF), engaging city is high on your priorities list, then yes, DC is it! But GULC itself is kind of in a shady place. Thank goodness for Uber and Judiciary Square Metro.

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:13 pm

UserNameHere wrote:Checking in! Got in a while ago, but I'm rather new to the forum world in these here interwebs (I also just thought it was a series of tubes).

Been living in DC for almost a year now. Working in politics (shocker, right?) so I'd love to stick around but that's only a partly legitimate basis on which to choose a law school. Soooooooo anything I should be saying or doing around here? Any insight on what I should be looking for in comparing law schools (and I wouldn't blame you if you suggested criteria that favored G'town).

Also also, not to be a troll, but as DC goes, GULC is not in the best location IMHO. DC is amazing. If coming to a happening, cool (I walk past the Capitol every day for work, and I promise you it never gets old -- although scaffolding is going up soon, WTF), engaging city is high on your priorities list, then yes, DC is it! But GULC itself is kind of in a shady place. Thank goodness for Uber and Judiciary Square Metro.

They have a new law school location right by Union Station- you should take a look on Google.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 pm

hello!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:10 am

Hello everyone! Checking in.

How long does it take to gain access to the admitted students website after being admitted? I have tried requesting a password but it gives me an error message each time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:28 am

Checking in as well! Any particular reason the ASW is on weekdays? Really inconvenient!!

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:13 am

UserNameHere wrote:Checking in! Got in a while ago, but I'm rather new to the forum world in these here interwebs (I also just thought it was a series of tubes).

To me, there's 3 factors in choosing a law school: employment opportunities, cost, and intangibles (appeal of the city/people, etc.). Really try to figure out if you have some sort of area of focus already. If you know what type of law you're interested in and/or where you might want to work, find a law school that excels in that area. I chose Georgetown because it's a huge school that's good at everything and I had no idea what I wanted to study (still don't, but I'll figure it out). The cost was a bit foreboding but was outweighed by the appeal of living in DC for (at least) 3 years.

GULC's location isn't that big of a concern. The area towards Judiciary Square isn't the best at night, but it's not like the actual bad parts of DC which don't exist that close to the National Mall. Some of the other law schools, like George Washington and American, are more isolated in better neighborhoods. GULC is right by downtown/chinatown, so the area may not look as appealing as Foggy Bottom or Tenleytown, but I kind of prefer this location. You're within a 20 minute walk of Union Station, the Capital, half the Smithsonian museums, the Verizon Center, etc. Sure, we're normally too busy to take advantage of it, but it's nice to have these things available. And it's true; walking by the Capital every day never ever gets old.

kraffcook

New

Post by kraffcook » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:15 am

blink wrote:Checking in as well! Any particular reason the ASW is on weekdays? Really inconvenient!!
They need students to volunteer and it would be very difficult to get volunteers willing to come to campus on the weekend. It also lets admitted students see what the school's like on a regular day instead of when everything's closed. You can call the Admissions Office and arrange a visit/tour during a weekend, but for the actual events, they're always going to be on weekdays.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:13 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Hello everyone! Checking in.

How long does it take to gain access to the admitted students website after being admitted? I have tried requesting a password but it gives me an error message each time.
I got my email about accessing the site about two weeks after I was accepted, but I could access it about two days before I received the email. I didn't try accessing it before then, but I wouldn't worry unless it's been over two weeks since you were accepted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”