What was the HLS magna cutoff last year? Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

What was the HLS magna cutoff last year?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:41 pm

3L thinking about post-graduate clerkship applications now. Will end up somewhere between 3.95-4.0 if I get straight Hs in my last semester, depending on how many credits I take. Trying to increase my chances at hitting a magna by adding/dropping certain classes or taking certain classes p/f. Heard that the 2022 magna cut-off was above 4.0 ... trying to see if it was because of real inflation or just Covid p/f. Any insights are much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: What was the HLS magna cutoff last year?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:41 pm
3L thinking about post-graduate clerkship applications now. Will end up somewhere between 3.95-4.0 if I get straight Hs in my last semester, depending on how many credits I take. Trying to increase my chances at hitting a magna by adding/dropping certain classes or taking certain classes p/f. Heard that the 2022 magna cut-off was above 4.0 ... trying to see if it was because of real inflation or just Covid p/f. Any insights are much appreciated.
I like how I went to YLS so I don't have to indulge in the class rank rat-race

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:44 am

2023 was somewhere between a 3.99 and a 4.02. I know someone who missed with a 3.98 and someone who made it with a 4.03. Consensus was that was a bit higher than expected.

2022 was supposedly above a 4.1 though; very close friend missed with a 4.06 and was furious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:44 am
2023 was somewhere between a 3.99 and a 4.02. I know someone who missed with a 3.98 and someone who made it with a 4.03. Consensus was that was a bit higher than expected.

2022 was supposedly above a 4.1 though; very close friend missed with a 4.06 and was furious
Thank you so much. In that case, I guess I can't really get there by playing with the credits . . . I'll need another net DS. It'd be heartbreaking if I ended up missing it by something like .01 but it is what it is. :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you so much. In that case, I guess I can't really get there by playing with the credits . . . I'll need another net DS. It'd be heartbreaking if I ended up missing it by something like .01 but it is what it is. :|
I was speaking in the third person for no good reason lol, I missed it by .002 (3.988 vs 3.99). The HLS system is a good shield for obscuring in the middle but the margins are brutally fine at the top

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:00 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:36 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I was speaking in the third person for no good reason lol, I missed it by .002 (3.988 vs 3.99). The HLS system is a good shield for obscuring in the middle but the margins are brutally fine at the top
Thanks for the info! The margins are indeed brutally fine... Well, at least I still have a chance. I'll try my best and live with the results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:06 pm

Wow there's that much grade inflation at Harvard? The magna cutoff for my T-14 is around a 3.2~

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:06 pm
Wow there's that much grade inflation at Harvard? The magna cutoff for my T-14 is around a 3.2~
I'm shocked there's a magna cutoff that low at a good school!

Tbh though, I dont really think you can have meaningful grade inflation when people are on a curve - the thresholds for opportunities track class ranking over flat GPA.

For HLS, I think it is kinda just by virtue of the H/P system, you either get a 4.0 or a 3.0 and the top students consistently get Hs so magna ends up near a 4.0.

I'd be very curious what the distribution looks like - since consensus for cum laude and median are around a 3.6 and 3.4, respectively.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:23 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Tbh though, I dont really think you can have meaningful grade inflation when people are on a curve - the thresholds for opportunities track class ranking over flat GPA.

For HLS, I think it is kinda just by virtue of the H/P system, you either get a 4.0 or a 3.0 and the top students consistently get Hs so magna ends up near a 4.0.

I'd be very curious what the distribution looks like - since consensus for cum laude and median are around a 3.6 and 3.4, respectively.
Yeah, grades at HLS exist within a pretty unique context, so outside a very narrow set of circumstances, it doesn't really make sense to talk about "grade inflation." A couple points (ultimately not that important, but a good excuse to procrastinate):

1. It doesn't make sense to compare a GPA at HLS to a GPA at a T-14. At HLS, you get a 5.0 for a DS, a 4.0 for an H, and a 3.0 for a P. For a class w/ 30+ students, there's supposedly a curve where the top ~30% of students get Hs and ~5-10% can get DSes. For seminars, no real restrictions AFAIK.
2. A GPA of 4.0 historically guarantees magna, which means that if you can be in the top 30% of every big class you take and do a decent job in your seminars, you can get there. But realistically, even top students get a P or two, so you also need to get a DS or two.
3. By the same token, to be comfortably w/in the top tier of the class, you need multiple DSes. The very top will have something like 10-12 DSes and 1-2 Ps at the end.
4. The magna cutoff has slowly creeped up over the years, mostly b/c professors give out more DSes than they did when the grading system just debuted. Anecdotally, I've heard that professors initially thought that giving a DS was the same as giving an A+ in the old system, maybe 1-2 for a class of 80. That attitude has changed, so now professors will give out 4-5 for a class of 80, if not more.
5. It only makes sense to talk about grade inflation when comparing an applicant from HLS with an applicant from SLS. At SLS it's both harder to get an H and harder to get a book prize. So if you're comparing an HLS student who's top 15% w/ an SLS student who's top 15%, the HLS student is likely to have more Hs and DSes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:00 pm

HLS 2L here--how are y'all calculating GPAs?

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:15 pm

Harvard counts DS at 5, H as 4, and P as 3.

But Harvard also does a weird thing where when calculating Latin honors, they don't calculate the transcript as a whole. Instead, you calculate the grade for each year, then each year is weighted equally regardless of credits.

So your 1L year is weighted identically to your 3L year for your overall calculation , even though you likely took less credits your 3L year.

Also this doesn't matter outside of a super small context. Nobody really cares in the real world.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, grades at HLS exist within a pretty unique context, so outside a very narrow set of circumstances, it doesn't really make sense to talk about "grade inflation." A couple points (ultimately not that important, but a good excuse to procrastinate):

1. It doesn't make sense to compare a GPA at HLS to a GPA at a T-14. At HLS, you get a 5.0 for a DS, a 4.0 for an H, and a 3.0 for a P. For a class w/ 30+ students, there's supposedly a curve where the top ~30% of students get Hs and ~5-10% can get DSes. For seminars, no real restrictions AFAIK.
2. A GPA of 4.0 historically guarantees magna, which means that if you can be in the top 30% of every big class you take and do a decent job in your seminars, you can get there. But realistically, even top students get a P or two, so you also need to get a DS or two.
3. By the same token, to be comfortably w/in the top tier of the class, you need multiple DSes. The very top will have something like 10-12 DSes and 1-2 Ps at the end.
4. The magna cutoff has slowly creeped up over the years, mostly b/c professors give out more DSes than they did when the grading system just debuted. Anecdotally, I've heard that professors initially thought that giving a DS was the same as giving an A+ in the old system, maybe 1-2 for a class of 80. That attitude has changed, so now professors will give out 4-5 for a class of 80, if not more.
5. It only makes sense to talk about grade inflation when comparing an applicant from HLS with an applicant from SLS. At SLS it's both harder to get an H and harder to get a book prize. So if you're comparing an HLS student who's top 15% w/ an SLS student who's top 15%, the HLS student is likely to have more Hs and DSes.
#3 seems a bit high. The person who won Sears for 2L in my class posted their DS's on linkedin (lol) and they had 5 across 1L and 2L, but only 2 from 2L classes. If 2 DS's is high enough to pull Sears, no way there's a tier of student graduating with 10-12.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

#3 seems a bit high. The person who won Sears for 2L in my class posted their DS's on linkedin (lol) and they had 5 across 1L and 2L, but only 2 from 2L classes. If 2 DS's is high enough to pull Sears, no way there's a tier of student graduating with 10-12.
Just hopping on to say that I think your year might be an aberration. I'm a 3L with substantially higher grades than what you just listed and I didn't get either 1L or 2L Sears.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just hopping on to say that I think your year might be an aberration. I'm a 3L with substantially higher grades than what you just listed and I didn't get either 1L or 2L Sears.
I saw a clerkship applicant who had 4 or 5 DSs after 1L without Sears.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This sounds right to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's fucking crazy, and to think I felt p good about graduating with 5 in the aggregate lmao

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:38 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's fucking crazy, and to think I felt p good about graduating with 5 in the aggregate lmao
You'd probably need at least 7 DS's 1L to get Sears, maybe more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You take 7 doctrinals + an elective 1L lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:

You can get DS's in Legal Research and Writing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2 credits tho

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

2 credits tho
Yeah, for that reason, 5 DSes that consist of three doctrinals and two LRWs is usually not good enough for Sears 1L. But 5-6 DSes in all doctrinals may be good enough (if no Ps).

The person graduating with the Fay/summa will usually have like 13-15 DSes and 0-2 Ps. What's crazy is that doesn't even get you close to the "true summa." Hard to tell if anyone's gotten that since the switch to the new grading system, but assuming 4 classes per semester and 2 graded J-term classes (26 graded classes total), you'd need roughly 20 DSes and 0 Ps. The handful of people who've gotten that in the past were simply built different lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:54 pm

What's a "true summa"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:54 pm
What's a "true summa"?
Historically, you could only get summa if you pulled a GPA over a 5.0; so - a GPA of the highest grade you can receive under the current system.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have seen a transcript of a rising 3L with Sears. They had 6 DS's 1L year and 7 DS's 2L year, no P's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:54 pm
What's a "true summa"?
Historically, you could only get summa if you pulled a GPA over a 5.0; so - a GPA of the highest grade you can receive under the current system.
I think it's 4.75, but yeah, the #1 student wouldn't automatically get Summa. If they were below 4.75, they'd get magna and the Fay prize

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”