Fed Courts for clerks with work experience Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Fed Courts for clerks with work experience

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:28 pm

Hi. I've been working at a v20 firm in NYC since October and want to apply to clerk. But I did not take Fed Courts in law school. Will that hurt my clerkship applications or no one cares after you graduate?

Anonymous User

Re: Fed Courts for clerks with work experience

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:27 pm

I mean it will hurt it, but its not going to completely prevent you from clerking or anything. Just be prepared in interviews to give a reason why you didn't take it (it might not even come up in interviews, but it might so be prepared).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:29 pm

Not all judges care, anyway. I never took it (applied as an alum so it was clear I wasn’t going to) and it never came up. I agree that having an answer to why not makes sense, but it’s definitely not something that should otherwise change your application plans.

Lurker08743

New

Post by Lurker08743 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:35 pm

I agree—not all judges care. Even still, I wouldn’t let that stop you from sending out apps.

moxcoal

New

Post by moxcoal » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:20 pm

If you've substantively worked with standing, ripeness, or dueling standards of review, that would be worth discussing if a judge brings it up at interview. Not all judges care of course, but I only enrolled in it my 3L year because a judge asked point blank if I planned to take it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”