Let’s Talk DC Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let’s Talk DC Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 am
Movement from Walker
Anyone know whether we can trust OSCAR for 24? Katsas Rao Ginsburg and Henderson have postings

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Movement from Walker
Anyone know whether we can trust OSCAR for 24? Katsas Rao Ginsburg and Henderson have postings
Katsas and Ginsburg appear full, but Rao and Henderson are hiring (although each has filled at least 1 spot already).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:54 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Movement from Walker
Katsas and Ginsburg appear full, but Rao and Henderson are hiring (although each has filled at least 1 spot already).
Thanks. Is this inside knowledge? If so, what about Randolph?

lawschoolrunaway

New

Post by lawschoolrunaway » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:44 pm

anyone know whether Edwards is retiring or if he plans on hiring for '24 / '25?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:38 pm

lawschoolrunaway wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:44 pm
He's hired for 2024 and 2025 so he is not retiring. Would caution though that his hiring standard and practices are vastly different then they used to be. He hires basically almost completely on recommendations and has significantly lowered how much he cares about things like grades. This is all to say it is very idiosyncratic process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:59 pm

Movement from Rao

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:56 am

On the other hand, Edwards fed two to SCOTUS in the last two years, one to Kavanaugh and one to Sotomayor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:16 pm

And Edwards was the only circuit clerkship for both of these clerks (it's not like they went Wilkinson/Edwards, which could have suggested the Edwards clerkship was obtained after the SCOTUS clerkship).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:38 pm
lawschoolrunaway wrote:
He's hired for 2024 and 2025 so he is not retiring. Would caution though that his hiring standard and practices are vastly different then they used to be. He hires basically almost completely on recommendations and has significantly lowered how much he cares about things like grades. This is all to say it is very idiosyncratic process.
how do you know he hired for '25? my school said he hadn't yet & might be retiring instead. . .

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolrunaway

New

Post by lawschoolrunaway » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lawschoolrunaway wrote:
how do you know he hired for '25? my school said he hadn't yet & might be retiring instead. . .
sorry, accidental anon above ^

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:37 am

lawschoolrunaway wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
lawschoolrunaway wrote:
sorry, accidental anon above ^
I personally know someone who is clerking for him in 2025 from NYU

Klaraku

New

Post by Klaraku » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:11 pm

Which judges are more likely to hire former circuit clerks? As in, would a prior clerkship be a plus for them

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:26 pm

Klaraku wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:11 pm
Which judges are more likely to hire former circuit clerks? As in, would a prior clerkship be a plus for them
Katsas, Walker for sure

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:26 pm
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure
Do you mean district judges hiring former circuit clerks, or the other way around?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:46 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure
Do you mean district judges hiring former circuit clerks, or the other way around?
I believe the other way around is more common. I personally know a few people who did district before going to the DC Circuit. But some judges do the reverse, which could’ve been chalked up to coincidence rather than hiring pattern.

From my experience, Boasberg likes (though not necessarily prefers) prior circuit experience. Not that I need to convince anyone to shoot for him –- but he is fantastic and he really does bat out for his clerks. We’re talking about making a call on your behalf and doing introductions here. The clerks and interns, at least from my year, were a tight-knit group and he still checks in on us. Can’t recommend Boasberg enough, just overall such a great boss and person.

Didn’t clerk for Howell but heard some of her former clerks did a rotation in other circuit courts. The ones that I know had solid experience with admin law. Lots, I mean LOTS, of writing but otherwise not an unkind boss and she is well-regarded by her staff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure
I believe the other way around is more common. I personally know a few people who did district before going to the DC Circuit. But some judges do the reverse, which could’ve been chalked up to coincidence rather than hiring pattern.

From my experience, Boasberg likes (though not necessarily prefers) prior circuit experience. Not that I need to convince anyone to shoot for him –- but he is fantastic and he really does bat out for his clerks. We’re talking about making a call on your behalf and doing introductions here. The clerks and interns, at least from my year, were a tight-knit group and he still checks in on us. Can’t recommend Boasberg enough, just overall such a great boss and person.

Didn’t clerk for Howell but heard some of her former clerks did a rotation in other circuit courts. The ones that I know had solid experience with admin law. Lots, I mean LOTS, of writing but otherwise not an unkind boss and she is well-regarded by her staff.
Boasberg will also make calls for his interns, or at least might depending on the intern. My chambers got a call from him and he talked to the judge for like 30 minutes and basically guaranteed a spot for her.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure

Boasberg will also make calls for his interns, or at least might depending on the intern. My chambers got a call from him and he talked to the judge for like 30 minutes and basically guaranteed a spot for her.
How about the reverse of that, with judges from the D.C. Circuit having a preference for candidates who have prior District Court clerkships? Are there any aspects that they emphasize during hiring, like grade, school ranking, career interests, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure

The most selective district judges virtually always hire people who are also doing circuit clerkships. Which comes first is often a bit random depending on how the hiring process shakes out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:49 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure

The most selective district judges virtually always hire people who are also doing circuit clerkships. Which comes first is often a bit random depending on how the hiring process shakes out.
Former Pillard clerk – she actually pays attention to what you did before law school & takes the interview very seriously

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:49 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure

According to someone on this forum: katsas likes it when an applicant has another clerkship lined up. Howell too for back to back

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:04 pm
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I haven't seen any for the District Court. Any information on how particular judges (especially Cooper, Howell, Friedrich) run their chambers, and if they hire outside of HYSC?
Someone recently told me about this thread. Apologies for the very late response to OP. My general experience with the district judges from a couple of years ago – unfortunately I’m not terribly familiar with the Biden appointees:

Boasberg & Cooper - super well-connected and Boasberg in particular hands out good recommendations. The quintessential district feeders these days, and friedrich. I don’t think I need to get into how adored Boasberg is. All I can say is seek him out and talk to him. Chances are *he* is the one who will seek you out. He genuinely loves getting to know the clerks and interns.

Friedrich - all but a direct pipeline to Kavanaugh and CJ. I’d put hers, and Boasberg, on the very top of the most sought-after DDC clerkships. Not sure how she runs her chambers but her clerks seem to like her enough.

Howell - her staff is one of the kindest and most helpful I’ve seen. We consistently had technological troubles with the remote hearings during covid. Her courtroom deputy stepped in to help out every single time. Even if you work for a different judge, consider using her office as a resource. Plus howell has some interesting stories from her days on the Hill and as an AUSA.

Moss - once had a notorious cohort that ran amok. I’ve heard he’s somewhat infamous for being unusually lenient. Other than that, he is a wonderful person. If you see an intern they most likely work with him. Many later end up clerking in the same court.

Mehta - quiet and kind of withdrawn. But he is very kind and always open to questions once you get to know him. I’ve heard he is not as well-connected as, let’s say, Boasberg. Networking beyond your judge’s inner circle is beneficial. This is especially true with him and some others.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure
How big a bump is a prior solid conservative COA for these guys? I have one lined up but just graduated cum laude from HLS. Am I still a plausible applicant or is the lack of magna essentially an auto rejection?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:04 pm
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I haven't seen any for the District Court. Any information on how particular judges (especially Cooper, Howell, Friedrich) run their chambers, and if they hire outside of HYSC?
Moss - once had a notorious cohort that ran amok. I’ve heard he’s somewhat infamous for being unusually lenient. Other than that, he is a wonderful person. If you see an intern they most likely work with him. Many later end up clerking in the same court.
What does a "notorious cohort that ran amok" mean?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure
How big a bump is a prior solid conservative COA for these guys? I have one lined up but just graduated cum laude from HLS. Am I still a plausible applicant or is the lack of magna essentially an auto rejection?
Katsas is almost a guaranteed SCOTUS clerkship at this point, so I imagine he's looking for far more than just a solid COA clerkship. My guess is that he requires calls from multiple people that he trusts, stellar grades, and excellent connections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Klaraku wrote:
Katsas, Walker for sure
Katsas is almost a guaranteed SCOTUS clerkship at this point, so I imagine he's looking for far more than just a solid COA clerkship. My guess is that he requires calls from multiple people that he trusts, stellar grades, and excellent connections.
A prior COA clerkship will (almost) always give you a big bump, but how big of a bump it is entirely depends on the judge. Some favor former district clerks because they have a broader range of trial experience. Some, I can think of Nina Pillard off the top of my head, may think twice about hiring a former district clerk who demonstrates in the interview that they can’t get out of the ‘speedy docket, the resolution of a case is final’ mindset of a trial court grind.

Back then, Walker required applicants to submit a writing sample/do a writing test of some sort. I don’t know if he still does it, but I imagine idiosyncrasies like this, which vary among the circuit judges, will also affect your ‘bump’.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”