Let’s Talk DC Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let’s Talk DC Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:32 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:04 pm
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I haven't seen any for the District Court. Any information on how particular judges (especially Cooper, Howell, Friedrich) run their chambers, and if they hire outside of HYSC?
Someone recently told me about this thread. Apologies for the very late response to OP. My general experience with the district judges from a couple of years ago – unfortunately I’m not terribly familiar with the Biden appointees:

Boasberg & Cooper - super well-connected and Boasberg in particular hands out good recommendations. The quintessential district feeders these days, and friedrich. I don’t think I need to get into how adored Boasberg is. All I can say is seek him out and talk to him. Chances are *he* is the one who will seek you out. He genuinely loves getting to know the clerks and interns.

Friedrich - all but a direct pipeline to Kavanaugh and CJ. I’d put hers, and Boasberg, on the very top of the most sought-after DDC clerkships. Not sure how she runs her chambers but her clerks seem to like her enough.

Howell - her staff is one of the kindest and most helpful I’ve seen. We consistently had technological troubles with the remote hearings during covid. Her courtroom deputy stepped in to help out every single time. Even if you work for a different judge, consider using her office as a resource. Plus howell has some interesting stories from her days on the Hill and as an AUSA.

Moss - once had a notorious cohort that ran amok. I’ve heard he’s somewhat infamous for being unusually lenient. Other than that, he is a wonderful person. If you see an intern they most likely work with him. Many later end up clerking in the same court.

Mehta - quiet and kind of withdrawn. But he is very kind and always open to questions once you get to know him. I’ve heard he is not as well-connected as, let’s say, Boasberg. Networking beyond your judge’s inner circle is beneficial. This is especially true with him and some others.
Apparently Howell and her clerks work very long hours. Red flag or is it typical for a DC fed trial judge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I haven't seen any for the District Court. Any information on how particular judges (especially Cooper, Howell, Friedrich) run their chambers, and if they hire outside of HYSC?
Someone recently told me about this thread. Apologies for the very late response to OP. My general experience with the district judges from a couple of years ago – unfortunately I’m not terribly familiar with the Biden appointees:

Boasberg & Cooper - super well-connected and Boasberg in particular hands out good recommendations. The quintessential district feeders these days, and friedrich. I don’t think I need to get into how adored Boasberg is. All I can say is seek him out and talk to him. Chances are *he* is the one who will seek you out. He genuinely loves getting to know the clerks and interns.

Friedrich - all but a direct pipeline to Kavanaugh and CJ. I’d put hers, and Boasberg, on the very top of the most sought-after DDC clerkships. Not sure how she runs her chambers but her clerks seem to like her enough.

Howell - her staff is one of the kindest and most helpful I’ve seen. We consistently had technological troubles with the remote hearings during covid. Her courtroom deputy stepped in to help out every single time. Even if you work for a different judge, consider using her office as a resource. Plus howell has some interesting stories from her days on the Hill and as an AUSA.

Moss - once had a notorious cohort that ran amok. I’ve heard he’s somewhat infamous for being unusually lenient. Other than that, he is a wonderful person. If you see an intern they most likely work with him. Many later end up clerking in the same court.

Mehta - quiet and kind of withdrawn. But he is very kind and always open to questions once you get to know him. I’ve heard he is not as well-connected as, let’s say, Boasberg. Networking beyond your judge’s inner circle is beneficial. This is especially true with him and some others.
Apparently Howell and her clerks work very long hours. Red flag or is it typical for a DC fed trial judge?
The Howell clerks I knew were a happy bunch, albeit a bit frazzled. They still rave about her and think highly of her, so it’s likely a case of a tough but good judge to clerk for. Incidentally, a lot of them ended up going into the government. That being said, the court did get a considerable influx of cases post-January 6 and I imagine her docket is still bearing the brunt of those cases. Several judges in my term had shared "criminal clerks" in direct response to this increasing caseload. Not sure how her caseload will change now that Boasberg is chief, my guess is not much, but she deals with cases and backlogs swiftly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Typical for DDC. It's a very busy court right now. Also, Judges Jackson, Kotelly and Bates are all great

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:17 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Typical for DDC. It's a very busy court right now. Also, Judges Jackson, Kotelly and Bates are all great

If you had clerked for Millett, it’s not an exaggeration to say you’d be unfazed and consider pretty much anything else normal hours. I think Howell herself is approachable and sensible. Depending on who you ask, she either micromanages or has a hands-off approach. I don't really know what to make of that. Sorry this is mostly hearsay!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:57 pm

Spent quite some time in the district court and I knew former DDC clerks who shared their experiences with me for the purpose of compiling this (subjective) list. Folks will be better off asking a mentor/professor who can speak in greater detail, but I thought this might be useful anyway.

— Boasberg (if “ideal clerkship” was a person; just go back to the old threads and read through them)

— Contreras, I feel like his clerks keep to themselves and they have a good work-life balance. For some reason has a heavier civil docket.

— Mehta is similarly low-key in a thoughtful way. A more conventional/less personal judge-clerk relationship; still a reliable mentor.

— Howell is a hardass on the bench and can be tough. Looks out for her clerks though and was respected as chief. Don't ask me why but they went nuts for her; a friend said it’s like having the muppets as a groupie. She publishes exhaustive and thorough opinions so be prepared to cycle through tons of drafts.

— Cooper’s clerkship is competitive, almost like Friedrich/Boasbergian. Having an appellate clerkship under your belt/having one in line is highly desirable. A likable judge and personable; doesn’t really hire outside of the top schools.

— Friedrich hires heavily from YHSC although she had a couple of UVA/UChicago/T-14 grads. A bit slow to rule; puts a lot of thought into the criminal cases. Some people say she’s standoffish (FWIW her expression is hard to read) but she was always perfectly pleasant to me.

— Somebody who had clerked for Chutkan said they enjoyed the experience. She was approachable and unpretentious to me; don’t know much about her chambers environment.

— Nichols has a reputation for being a hardline conservative. He does appear to hire based on ideology (when I was there). There are the occasional counterclerks; one used to intern for an outspoken liberal COA judge.

— Sullivan, like Amy Berman Jackson, went senior a while ago and still keeps up with his caseload. Lots of january-6 litigations for Sullivan. Same with Lamberth; man’s geriatric yet I can’t see him taking a reduced caseload anytime soon

— Moss is very sweet-tempered and kind. Unsure what Anon meant by him having a "notorious cohort" but he keeps organized chambers. Has the patience of a saint and is too nice at times, so actually not surprised if the so-called "cohort" got away with some shady endeavors; I’d be curious to hear more about the story. I have friends who clerked/interned for Moss and loved it.

— Other than that, heard mixed reviews about Mcfadden but nothing concrete so far. Some say Sullivan is acerbic on the bench but nothing of the sort from his clerks. I recall there being a judge who brings people to swanky events; his name escapes me. I say don’t rule out the senior judges. Most don’t take reduced caseloads anyway and will still give you a solid clerkship. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:43 pm

Friedrich clerks I’ve talked to seem really happy and have very reasonable hours. Nichols is an ideologue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:05 pm

McFadden is okay. He is personally nice. He is on the slower side from my understanding. The other Trump appointees are ahead of him in terms of being prepared/getting things done in general.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:43 pm
Friedrich clerks I’ve talked to seem really happy and have very reasonable hours. Nichols is an ideologue.
What do you mean by ideologue in this context?

Connorburner1

New

Post by Connorburner1 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:05 pm
McFadden is okay. He is personally nice. He is on the slower side from my understanding. The other Trump appointees are ahead of him in terms of being prepared/getting things done in general.
Not sure what “slower” means. McFadden has one of, if not the, fastest civil docket in DDC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:15 pm

Connorburner1 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Not sure what “slower” means. McFadden has one of, if not the, fastest civil docket in DDC.
I have a friend who clerked for McF. Attorneys approached said friend on occasion to subtly ask if the judge had received [read: reviewed] the briefs. Sometimes in court, it did look like he was caught off guard by certain cases. Maybe because he was just two/three years in at the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:15 pm
Connorburner1 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:18 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I have a friend who clerked for McF. Attorneys approached said friend on occasion to subtly ask if the judge had received [read: reviewed] the briefs. Sometimes in court, it did look like he was caught off guard by certain cases. Maybe because he was just two/three years in at the time.
I don’t know anything about his speed but I don’t think this means anything. Attorneys can be snarky and impertinent. They always think everything should be decided faster and the judge forgot about them (granted DDC dockets are small). Anyway you can look up a judge’s speed on Westlaw Analytics to see.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:08 pm

Anyone have any thoughts or insight on why Walker would post for a seven-month clerkship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:51 pm

Anyone have insight on Millett? Saw that she posted on Oscar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:51 pm
Anyone have insight on Millett? Saw that she posted on Oscar.
Notoriously the toughest boss on the DC Circuit with the longest hours. But the work product is indisputably top notch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:48 pm

The title of “toughest boss” on the D.C. Circuit now belongs to Judge Pan. But yes, Millett clerks certainly work hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:48 pm
The title of “toughest boss” on the D.C. Circuit now belongs to Judge Pan. But yes, Millett clerks certainly work hard.
What makes Millett and Pan so difficult?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I considered clerking for Millett and interviewed with her. I never heard she was difficult in terms of anything other than the hours of work she expects to do the job as well as she wants it to be done. I cannot say the same thing about Pan. I heard she was abusive to her clerks. Demeaning. Disrespectful. Just bad news. But it's possible she reformed after she was subjected to an investigation about mistreatment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:50 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I considered clerking for Millett and interviewed with her. I never heard she was difficult in terms of anything other than the hours of work she expects to do the job as well as she wants it to be done. I cannot say the same thing about Pan. I heard she was abusive to her clerks. Demeaning. Disrespectful. Just bad news. But it's possible she reformed after she was subjected to an investigation about mistreatment.
Pan has not, in fact, reformed herself. She is as abusive and disordered as ever. She’s also just not very efficient, which makes it a very chaotic experience. Millett is much more organized and competent but is also quite a difficult clerkship. She’s not abusive in quite the same way but she’s incredibly intense, fosters competition among the clerks, and can be very degrading herself. You do learn a lot though. Much of the circuit is not a great time right now tbh. But of the newer judges, Garcia and Katsas are fantastic bosses. Not sure I’d recommend any of the other Trump / Biden appointees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:48 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Pan has not, in fact, reformed herself. She is as abusive and disordered as ever. She’s also just not very efficient, which makes it a very chaotic experience. Millett is much more organized and competent but is also quite a difficult clerkship. She’s not abusive in quite the same way but she’s incredibly intense, fosters competition among the clerks, and can be very degrading herself. You do learn a lot though. Much of the circuit is not a great time right now tbh. But of the newer judges, Garcia and Katsas are fantastic bosses. Not sure I’d recommend any of the other Trump / Biden appointees.
Any sense of how things are going with Childs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
From what I gleaned during my time on D.C. Cir., Judge Walker might be the best clerkship in the country in terms of how he treats clerks and his chambers culture. You have to be willing to live in Louisville, Kentucky though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:14 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any sense of how things are going with Childs?
Cannot speak to chambers culture (she is mostly in SC, with her clerks split I think) but there have been a number of concerns from other chambers about the quality of work coming out of her chambers. Several draft opinions and judgments that have had objective errors, been sloppy, needed to be rewritten. That is well documented over the last couple years. I don’t know if that’s improved or not. She seems very nice though, at least at arguments and around the court.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
From what I gleaned during my time on D.C. Cir., Judge Walker might be the best clerkship in the country in terms of how he treats clerks and his chambers culture. You have to be willing to live in Louisville, Kentucky though.
Yeah Walker is uniformly thought to be very nice and collegial. He isn’t always super checked in though, so I guess it depends on what you want out of the clerkship. But on vibe / hours / nice boss, Walker is definitely fantastic. Working remotely on the circuit is kind of odd though because, unlike most other circuits, nearly everyone else is in the building. So Walker’s clerks are pretty removed. Even Henderson, who works from out of state, has her clerks in the building at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah Walker is uniformly thought to be very nice and collegial. He isn’t always super checked in though, so I guess it depends on what you want out of the clerkship. But on vibe / hours / nice boss, Walker is definitely fantastic. Working remotely on the circuit is kind of odd though because, unlike most other circuits, nearly everyone else is in the building. So Walker’s clerks are pretty removed. Even Henderson, who works from out of state, has her clerks in the building at least.
What about the other senior judges? Edwards, Ginsburg, Sentelle, Randolph and Rogers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What about the other senior judges? Edwards, Ginsburg, Sentelle, Randolph and Rogers.
All of them are still pretty active. Don’t know about Ginsburg. Randolph is the most conservative judge on the circuit by a fairly substantial margin. He is often pretty rude to the rest of the court but I have heard generally positive things from relatively recent clerks and I think they enjoyed the experience. He is never around I think and I don’t think he creates a lot of work for them. Edwards is a bit of an odd duck in certain ways but clerks help teach his class and I think also have a relatively chill and productive year. It’s a very structured and formal year. Not sure about Rogers since she’s gone senior but the rumors were that it was a pretty productive and efficient clerkship and the output was solid, but that the chambers dynamic was not always great. I don’t think it borders on Pan level abuse or anything, but I got the sense she just wasn’t very nice and had pretty peculiar and unrealistic expectations in certain respects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Edwards makes you sign out to use the bathroom

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”