How do firms feel about... Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

How do firms feel about...

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:34 am

...clerk applicants who are obviously only going to be there for only 2–3 years, mostly to get paid, before jumping ship to federal government? I've been looking at profiles of AUSAs and DOJ attorneys who clerked, then went to a firm to collect a clerkship bonus, then scooted after 2–3 years. It seems to be a rather common path, one that I have interest in following but for my common sense telling me no firm would hire me if they knew that was what I planned to do. I'm specifically curious about the big firms in DC: Wilmer, A&P, W&C, Cov, etc.

Thanks in advance.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: How do firms feel about...

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:45 am

That sounds like the typical candidate at those (and many other) firms. Don't worry, they don't intend to retain you for more than 2 or 3 years anyway.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:45 am

How do firms feel about junior associates who plan to leave—for any reason—after two years? Firms don't like it. If your plan is to lateral to the federal government after a couple of years, don't let firms know about it when you're applying for jobs.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 am

RaceJudicata wrote:That sounds like the typical candidate at those (and many other) firms. Don't worry, they don't intend to retain you for more than 2 or 3 years anyway.
This is wrong. The last thing a firm wants is for junior associates to leave just as they're becoming most profitable.

If you replaced "2 or 3 years" with "5 or 6 years," then it's probably fair.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:49 am

Agreeing with pupkin. The biglaw business model is premised upon the firm hemorrhaging associates after a few years (hence the common path that you discovered), but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to state in a cover letter or during your interview or something that you plan to be one of the many who leave after the firm has invested a few years of time and money in you.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 am

rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:That sounds like the typical candidate at those (and many other) firms. Don't worry, they don't intend to retain you for more than 2 or 3 years anyway.
This is wrong. The last thing a firm wants is for junior associates to leave just as they're becoming most profitable.

If you replaced "2 or 3 years" with "5 or 6 years," then it's probably fair.
Fair point. I guess my point is that the firm won't be shocked if OP leaves after a few years (be it 2, 3, 5+). Of course, would never give the firm that indication in a cover letter/interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”