Which firms don't have clawback or vesting clauses for their clerkship bonuses?

Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Absconder

New

Which firms don't have clawback or vesting clauses for their clerkship bonuses?

Postby Absconder » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:55 am

Federal judicial clerk here, looking at my post-clerkship options. Which firms don't have clawback/vesting clauses in their offers that make you give back your clerkship bonus if you don't stick around for a year? For instance, I hear at Sullivan & Cromwell you can peace out essentially the day after you get your first paycheck, with the only consequence being they'll never hire you again.

davidagnew

New

Re: Which firms don't have clawback or vesting clauses for their clerkship bonuses?

Postby davidagnew » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:03 pm

So what'd you find out / do?

sundance95

Gold

Re: Which firms don't have clawback or vesting clauses for their clerkship bonuses?

Postby sundance95 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:30 pm

this question + your screenname = unintentional irony?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:52 am

Also interested in OP's question. Specifically, if I expect 6 to 8 months of firm time between finishing my district court clerkship and starting my appellate, would I have to worry about the firm clawing back the $50k?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2016 3:13 pm

Bumping this thread. If your clerkship bonus is subject to a clawback clause, is this usually acknowledged in writing when you join the firm post-clerkship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2016 2:28 pm

I had offers from two firms. One included the clawback policy in the paperwork that accompanied the offer my 3L fall. The other didn't include those details until they sent me paperwork on start date etc. during the spring of my clerkship. I already knew the information, of course, because I just asked HR what the policy was. You should too.

Return to “Judicial Clerkships�