2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: 2017-2018 Clerkship Application Thread

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:58 am

Manali wrote:Are part-time paid clerkships a thing? Not sure if I'm ready for full-time work.
Extremely extremely rare. I knew a judge who split one clerkship into two part time ones, but they were career clerks who had worked for him previously. For a new grad I would say no.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:07 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:Are part-time paid clerkships a thing? Not sure if I'm ready for full-time work.
Extremely extremely rare. I knew a judge who split one clerkship into two part time ones, but they were career clerks who had worked for him previously. For a new grad I would say no.
there are full time unpaid clerkships with federal judges, though, that tend to have lower standards for hiring. Not low enough for Manali unfortunately.

I think there are state trial court judges that will hire part time clerks.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
there are full time unpaid clerkships with federal judges, though, that tend to have lower standards for hiring. Not low enough for Manali unfortunately.

I think there are state trial court judges that will hire part time clerks.
I lol'd hard

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Should all recommendations be from professors? Or should I mix in recs from work supervisors who can speak to my research and writing ability?

Also, is 10 pages fine for a writing sample?

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:09 am

Last edited by stretchedtoothin on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:59 am

stretchedtoothin wrote:
Manali wrote:Should all recommendations be from professors? Or should I mix in recs from work supervisors who can speak to my research and writing ability?

-sure, but look at the specific judge's instructions listed on OSCAR (if available)

-sure, but look at the specific judge's instructions listed on OSCAR (if available)

I'm talking about state court clerkships.

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:13 pm

Manali wrote:Should all recommendations be from professors? Or should I mix in recs from work supervisors who can speak to my research and writing ability?

Manali wrote:

I'm talking about state court clerkships.
-sure, but look at the specific judge's instructions listed on the state court's and/or the judge's website (if available)

-sure, but look at the specific judge's instructions listed on the state court's and/or the judge's website (if available)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:51 pm

Can someone "Chance me"?

2L. 3.9 gpa. Between top 5-10% at UCLA/UT/Vandy and on LR.

Ties to the midwest.

Summering V20

2-4 years of work experience pre law school.

Obviously, "apply and see what happens," but curious if anyone has thoughts on chances. No specific connection to any judge.

Also curious (and I'm sure this varies) about how long it usually takes for a judge to ask for an interview after applying? Sorry if some of this has been discussed -- just trying to manage expectations. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:48 pm

From what I can see on oscar and have heard from former interns (not clerks), S.D. Cal. doesn't hire for '17 till this summer. That's what the court webpage seems to indicate, but anyone know if that sounds right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm

Do you have to disclose on unofficial transcripts that you received disability accommodations in classes? (i.e. extra time on exams, note takers, ability to record classes, etc.) It may be disclosed on my official transcript, but I am not sure because I have not seen it yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I can see on oscar and have heard from former interns (not clerks), S.D. Cal. doesn't hire for '17 till this summer. That's what the court webpage seems to indicate, but anyone know if that sounds right?
Sounds right. It's a pretty small district. Have you checked out the judges' oscar pages? That might tell you.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I can see on oscar and have heard from former interns (not clerks), S.D. Cal. doesn't hire for '17 till this summer. That's what the court webpage seems to indicate, but anyone know if that sounds right?
Sounds right. It's a pretty small district. Have you checked out the judges' oscar pages? That might tell you.
Anecdotally, I've found that app openings vary from year to year. To wit: a District Court judge who's very high on my list opened his 2016 apps in April 2015, but his 2017 apps opened in January 2016.

OP: If you're gunning for a specific district, I'd recommend setting a daily email alert in OSCAR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:48 pm

has Raggi (2nd) interviewed and/or hired yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lowdmouse

New

Post by lowdmouse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:14 pm

deuceindc wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anecdotally, I've found that app openings vary from year to year. To wit: a District Court judge who's very high on my list opened his 2016 apps in April 2015, but his 2017 apps opened in January 2016.

OP: If you're gunning for a specific district, I'd recommend setting a daily email alert in OSCAR.
Or if the district is small enough, have your clerkship office reach out to see if/when judges open. It's not unheard of for judges to start hiring before they even update their OSCAR status to open. If a judge is very high on your list, there are lots of reasons not to rely on what OSCAR says they did last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 pm

In looking at the senior judges on 3rd circuit, do Barry and Greenberg still hire clerks for 2017 or not anymore?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:20 am

Has anyone heard from Judge Selna -- CDCA?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 pm

If the judge gives you the option of Oscar, paper app, or email, which should I choose? I'm thinking paper since that's harder to ignore than an electronic submission.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Manali wrote:If the judge gives you the option of Oscar, paper app, or email, which should I choose? I'm thinking paper since that's harder to ignore than an electronic submission.
Yep, paper is TCR, for that reason and because printing + mailing things takes marginally more effort, which makes you look more interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Anyone know if Lucero (10th Circuit) is hiring and/or has hired? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Lucero (10th Circuit) is hiring and/or has hired? Thanks!
I know he has hired at least one.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Lucero (10th Circuit) is hiring and/or has hired? Thanks!
I know he has hired at least one.
Lucero is full.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:06 am

deuceindc wrote:
Manali wrote:If the judge gives you the option of Oscar, paper app, or email, which should I choose? I'm thinking paper since that's harder to ignore than an electronic submission.
Yep, paper is TCR, for that reason and because printing + mailing things takes marginally more effort, which makes you look more interested.
I get the argument for paper, but Oscar would have been the right answer in my old chambers. Paper apps are hard to pass around (we'd e-mail apps to the judge if we thought they looked promising), easy to lose, and just a general pain in the ass.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
deuceindc wrote:
I get the argument for paper, but Oscar would have been the right answer in my old chambers. Paper apps are hard to pass around (we'd e-mail apps to the judge if we thought they looked promising), easy to lose, and just a general pain in the ass.
So clearly the answer is just like the answer for everything else regarding clerkships: it depends on the judge, there are no right answers, you have to guess, everything is random chance.

newlawgrad

New

Post by newlawgrad » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
deuceindc wrote:
So clearly the answer is just like the answer for everything else regarding clerkships: it depends on the judge, there are no right answers, you have to guess, everything is random chance.
Right. FWIW, I applied to about the same number of judges for district and then circuit. District I did almost all Oscar. Circuit I did solely paper (just about). Got two interviews for both.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 am

FWIW for all those out there struggling. I've been at this game for about 18months. Ive had 6 COA interviews...all rejected. The last 7-8 months have been complete silence with getting interviews. In the last week I just scheduled 3 upcoming. I guess this shows it's never really over.

Also if I don't secure one of these I'm done with applying. Everyone has their own limits where they just can't anymore.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”