Post-clerkship hiring timeline Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Post-clerkship hiring timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Just started a District Court clerkship after one year in big-law. Wasn't completely miserable in big-law though I felt bored, uninspired, and I didn't like most of the people I worked under. I would love to never have to go back but 1) I have an egregious amount of debt and 2) I don't think, with only 2 years experience by the time I would state, that I would qualify for the big fed jobs I want (AUSA/DOJ Main).

So, I am wondering when I should start applying to firms. I have an offer to go back to my previous firm but I would like to shop around a bit. I am thinking I will send out resumes in November. Does that sound right?

Anonymous User

Re: Post-clerkship hiring timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just started a District Court clerkship after one year in big-law. Wasn't completely miserable in big-law though I felt bored, uninspired, and I didn't like most of the people I worked under. I would love to never have to go back but 1) I have an egregious amount of debt and 2) I don't think, with only 2 years experience by the time I would state, that I would qualify for the big fed jobs I want (AUSA/DOJ Main).

So, I am wondering when I should start applying to firms. I have an offer to go back to my previous firm but I would like to shop around a bit. I am thinking I will send out resumes in November. Does that sound right?
It's a little bit variable depending on region / market. I'm most familiar with West Coast hiring, where it feels like the fact that Ninth Circuit seems very Sep.-Sep. causes the hiring timeline to pretty rigidly track that (which screws over people like me who have clerkships that were slightly offset from that and had no idea the jobs were being taken earlier than I thought). I don't think you'll get much of a response until Feb/Mar. but reaching out to people earlier isn't a terrible thing to do. That early, based on what I've seen anecdotally from other folks, you're just going to get a lot of responses along the lines of "we don't know what our hiring will be like" or "yes we'll interview you but our hiring process gets started later". But YMMV. My advice would be to focus on networking / reaching out early on vs. applying, especially if you're interested in boutiques for example.

Anonymous User

Re: Post-clerkship hiring timeline

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:21 pm

That's helpful feedback - especially because my target market is on the West Coast. Thanks for your thoughts!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”