Let's Talk 9th Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's Talk 9th Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:56 pm

Anyone know if Murguia has moved yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:42 am

Anyone know grades needed for Judge Nguyen?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:42 am
Anyone know grades needed for Judge Nguyen?
I know a clerk of hers who was around top 15% with LR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:36 pm

School? Does she only hire HYS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:36 pm
She's hired from my school (one of UMich, UVA, Penn, NYU) within the past 3 years. That clerk did not have graduation honors or a district clerkship but had some other biographical hooks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:36 pm
Hires from both Berkeley and UCLA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:04 pm

How much of a caseload does Tallman carry nowadays?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:30 pm
I'd argue Stras Gruender and Colloton have a lot of cache in the prestige-whore conservative legal circles and that's like 30% of the actives on CA8
Agree with the above, and the prior poster that CA1 has Barron. To bring this back somewhat back on track...who are the current "heavy hitters" on CA9 who aren't senior status? (However you might define that. Obviously there's feeders/semi-feeders, but I'm also thinking in terms of general "prestige" to a typical BigLaw hiring audience.)
Ikuta, Friedland, and Bress are probably the three heaviest hitters on CA9 who are not senior. Collins and Owens are also very well-respected, and Bumatay has a lot of credibility in conservative circles, but those are the ones who come to mind. Many of the senior judges (O'Scannlain, Fletcher, Graber, Thomas, McKeown, Bybee, Hurwitz, and potentially others) are also very well-regarded.
This is a good list. I’d add Koh as a ‘heavy hitter’ contender and Miller to the ‘very well-respected’ list.

Also, ranking non-feeder judges is a little silly, but most of the other active judges are well-respected in the circuit and nationwide. The only active judges I’d think twice about clerking for are VanDyke (because of his far-right ideology), Bade (lightweight), and Nguyen (not as far-left as VanDyke is far-right, but would still give me pause).
This has to be a mistake? Other than maybe Owens, Nguyen is probably the most moderate “liberal” on the court

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd argue Stras Gruender and Colloton have a lot of cache in the prestige-whore conservative legal circles and that's like 30% of the actives on CA8
Agree with the above, and the prior poster that CA1 has Barron. To bring this back somewhat back on track...who are the current "heavy hitters" on CA9 who aren't senior status? (However you might define that. Obviously there's feeders/semi-feeders, but I'm also thinking in terms of general "prestige" to a typical BigLaw hiring audience.)
Ikuta, Friedland, and Bress are probably the three heaviest hitters on CA9 who are not senior. Collins and Owens are also very well-respected, and Bumatay has a lot of credibility in conservative circles, but those are the ones who come to mind. Many of the senior judges (O'Scannlain, Fletcher, Graber, Thomas, McKeown, Bybee, Hurwitz, and potentially others) are also very well-regarded.
This is a good list. I’d add Koh as a ‘heavy hitter’ contender and Miller to the ‘very well-respected’ list.

Also, ranking non-feeder judges is a little silly, but most of the other active judges are well-respected in the circuit and nationwide. The only active judges I’d think twice about clerking for are VanDyke (because of his far-right ideology), Bade (lightweight), and Nguyen (not as far-left as VanDyke is far-right, but would still give me pause).
This has to be a mistake? Other than maybe Owens, Nguyen is probably the most moderate “liberal” on the court
Yep. Even if we’re just considering female Asian judges, Sung and Koh are far, far, far to the left of Nguyen and I assume this poster was referring to one of them.

(I would say Gould and Owens are the two most moderate “liberals” on the Ninth who are still active, but Nguyen is definitely up there.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yep. Even if we’re just considering female Asian judges, Sung and Koh are far, far, far to the left of Nguyen and I assume this poster was referring to one of them.

(I would say Gould and Owens are the two most moderate “liberals” on the Ninth who are still active, but Nguyen is definitely up there.)
If that happened… that’s pretty offensive lol — Koh, Sung, and Nguyen have such different names, different ethnic backgrounds, different professional backgrounds, different methodological priors, and different appearances. How anyone could confuse them is beyond me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Rawlinson and some of the recent seniors (Graber, McKeown) are probably a little less reliably liberal, but yeah, Nguyen is a very mainstream Dem appointee. That was a weird comment.

New

Post by 0404040404 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:21 am

[quote="Anonymous User" post_id=10556736 time=1710217592 user_id=45852]
[quote="Anonymous User" post_id=10556725 time=1710196005 user_id=45852]
[quote="Anonymous User" post_id=10555915 time=1707508486 user_id=45852]
[quote="Anonymous User" post_id=10555914 time=1707507042 user_id=45852]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Miller is extremely well-respected on the right and left. He is also among the smartest judges on the bench across every circuit. I've yet to hear anyone speak poorly of him. The clerks he has hired from my school tend to be moderate liberals with public service backgrounds. My understanding is that he competes with Friedland and Owens/Nguyen for top HYS students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm

Hello! Does anyone have any insights as to whether Judge Sung has started inviting folks for interviews? (2025-26 clerkships). Also any insights into grades required to be serious?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lookatriffraffplease

New

Post by lookatriffraffplease » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:17 pm
What's the deal with Thompson's 7-month and 9-month clerkships? Saw that they expired already, but those are weird (and soon)!
All three of her clerks quit.
Wtf, how bad must that clerkship be? How are chambers even operating?
holy cow I interviewed with her a few years back sooooo glad I wasn't hired. Such a crapshoot sometimes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:51 pm
Hello! Does anyone have any insights as to whether Judge Sung has started inviting folks for interviews? (2025-26 clerkships). Also any insights into grades required to be serious?
Also curious about this!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”