Tips for clerking with a canadian law degree Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nikki123

New

Tips for clerking with a canadian law degree

Post by nikki123 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Dear all,

I hope one of you can help me out. I am an American law student law at McGill (in Montreal, Canada). I am in the top 10 percent of my class and have great references and work experience. I went to McGill because it was cheaper. Now, I want to clerk here. I am wondering whether there are any clerkships that I can apply too, even though I have a Canadian law degree.

I ask this question for two reasons. First, I am unable to register with Oscar due to the fact that McGill University is not recognized by the site. Second, many of the clerkship positions appear to require a JD (McGill law students graduate with a BCL/LLB degree).

(Note that I can pass the bar in five states upon graduation and we do learn American law in addition to Canadian law)

Thanks all

:)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Tips for clerking with a canadian law degree

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:27 pm

According to somewhere on the OSCAR site, law clerk candidates have to meet the following qualification (among others):
Standing within the upper third of the law school class from a law school on the approved list of either the American Bar Association or the Association of American Law Schools;
I don't think that includes Canadian schools, but I could be wrong.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:According to somewhere on the OSCAR site, law clerk candidates have to meet the following qualification (among others):
Standing within the upper third of the law school class from a law school on the approved list of either the American Bar Association or the Association of American Law Schools;
I don't think that includes Canadian schools, but I could be wrong.
You only need to meet one or more of several qualifications, the last of which is:
Demonstrated proficiency in legal studies, which in the opinion of the judge, is equivalent of one of the above.
So if the judge thinks your McGill degree is equivalently good he can hire you anyway.

Of course it may be difficult to get a judge to bite with a Canadian degree. Best thing to do is to look at the postings using someone else's OSCAR account and mail paper applications to lots of judges. Explain in the cover letter that you're a US citizen, you plan to take the bar of <some US state>, and that you have studied American <civil procedure, constitutional law, etc.>.

No idea if it will work but what have you got to lose?

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:18 am

I'm fairly certain the only absolute requirement to clerk is that you are a US citizen. I could be wrong. But you don't even need to be a member of any US bar.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:14 pm

hiima3L wrote:I'm fairly certain the only absolute requirement to clerk is that you are a US citizen.
Even this is not an absolute requirement: if a non-citizen either has a green card, is willing to work in AK/HI/PR/VI, or is willing to work for free, he/she can generally accept a clerkship. Indeed many non-citizens do in fact clerk for federal courts.
Last edited by yuzu on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:30 pm

As a dual (Canadian/American) citizen seriously considering attending a Canadian law school (one that offers a JD) I am very interested in hearing how this pans out because I too would be very interested in clerking in the US! Keep us up-to-date, OP!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”