Re: Federal Clerkship health insurance coverage Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Federal Clerkship health insurance coverage

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:23 pm

What plans do clerks usually pick? I want the least amount of money taken out of my pay check but also do not want to be reckless lol. So for those of you who have experience with this sort of thing, did you elect the premimum coverage? did you opt out?

Thanks in advance!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Great thread idea. I am also interested in this.

I start in late August but have not received any information yet. When are we supposed to sign up, and when do we receive coverage? Is the coverage good?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:46 pm

I got my stuff like the first day I came to work... they gave me the info and told me to talk to the HR girl if I had questions but otherwise to fill it out and get it in within X days/weeks or something. You have two chances to enroll in health insurance, when you first join and then later during some other open enrollment period.

I don't remember why now, but I ended up with Blue Cross Blue Shield and also BCBS's FEP BlueVision or whatever because I wear contacts and the money saved > the cost of BlueVision. There's also a dentist thing that I didn't get. I honestly didn't pay too much attention, but wanted to more or less make sure I was covered in case stuff happened.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:08 pm

There's some ridiculous number of plans you can choose from, though it varies according to where you're working. (There are also national ones, like BlueCross.) What you pick really depends on your personal needs - do you have a family you're going to be covering? Do you have any chronic health conditions? Would you rather have less pay taken out each paycheck but have a high deductible so you're paying a lot if you actually need medical care, or pay more each month for a low/no deductible plan? Do you already live in that location and have a doctor you want to keep being able to see? Etc. etc. For instance, I take 3 prescription drugs daily, so for me, low co-pay for prescriptions was probably my biggest concern. But for someone else, paying less for a plan where Rx are more expensive might make more sense.

When you get info: I started the 3rd week of August last year, and got paperwork from HR about 1 month before that. I think I had to ask for specifics about the health plan stuff, though - you do turn it in when you start. I can't remember exactly when coverage kicks in - I think it's after you've completed one pay period? So about 2-3 weeks in, depending whether you start at the beginning of a pay period or in the middle?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 am

Assuming you're relatively healthy, no dependents, and don't plan on seeing a ton of doctors or filling a bunch of name-brand prescriptions, you should pick a HDHP+HSA. This is also a backdoor retirement vehicle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SisyphusHappy

Bronze

Post by SisyphusHappy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Assuming you're relatively healthy, no dependents, and don't plan on seeing a ton of doctors or filling a bunch of name-brand prescriptions, you should pick a HDHP+HSA. This is also a backdoor retirement vehicle.
Great use of anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:55 pm

SisyphusHappy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Assuming you're relatively healthy, no dependents, and don't plan on seeing a ton of doctors or filling a bunch of name-brand prescriptions, you should pick a HDHP+HSA. This is also a backdoor retirement vehicle.
Great use of anon.
I am a current clerk whose court's rules prevent any public posting on social media identifying me as a clerk. So, yeah.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I am a current clerk whose court's rules prevent any public posting on social media identifying me as a clerk. So, yeah.
That's a wicked rule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”