Parlay Question Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Parlay Question

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:23 pm

I know there has been several threads on calling to parlay interviews. What about emailing? As a current law clerk I would probably prefer to get an email over a call, but this doesn't seem to be the usual practice. Thoughts? Pros? Cons? Thank you for your help!

Anonymous User

Re: Parlay Question

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:28 am

Anyone done this? Thoughts? I am having issues reaching a few chambers by phone.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:39 am

I'd e-mail if you aren't able to reach them by phone, but sometimes the judge really doesn't want people contacting their chambers about clerkship interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:42 pm

lolwat wrote:I'd e-mail if you aren't able to reach them by phone, but sometimes the judge really doesn't want people contacting their chambers about clerkship interviews.
Totally understandable. Does anyone have any insight into which judges seem to be receptive to this and which ones do not want such calls? Any success stories?

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:51 pm

There were a bunch of success stories around TLS a year or two (?) ago, and basically every year some people will have success parlaying interviews--whether they post here or not. Can't help with which judges are receptive or not unfortunately, but I'd just try all of them. Just take a brief look on OSCAR (if they're on there) to see whether they specifically say "DO NOT ASK ABOUT INTERVIEWS." Take a look at Judge Agee's (4th Cir.) clerkship posting for example, he states:
Interview Dates:
I will contact applicants directly for interviews. Applicants should NOT call or send e-mails inquiring about interviews.
And I would treat that as different from the more usual "do not contact chambers" under chamber profile (even though the 'safer' thing is not to contact chambers regardless... but sometimes being safe means your application never gets a second look).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Any idea if judges/clerks/interns would be in chambers today to receive calls about parlays? Is it poor form to call on a Sunday for a parlay?

Also, will it reflect very poorly on you and your school if you get a parlay interview but accept a clerkship offer at an earlier interview? I know it's not as bad to turn down an interview because of accepting an offer vs. "I decided I don't want to live in [X city]", but it seems different when the interview you're turning down is one you parlayed.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Any idea if judges/clerks/interns would be in chambers today to receive calls about parlays? Is it poor form to call on a Sunday for a parlay?

Also, will it reflect very poorly on you and your school if you get a parlay interview but accept a clerkship offer at an earlier interview? I know it's not as bad to turn down an interview because of accepting an offer vs. "I decided I don't want to live in [X city]", but it seems different when the interview you're turning down is one you parlayed.
I'm certainly not in chambers today and I doubt most clerks/judges/interns are. Maybe for the more competitive/busy ones (Kozinski clerks probably in :P) but those are probably also the ones that hired already.

And no, I don't think so. I think judges tend to understand when you accept another clerkship offer, especially during this particular time frame where the hiring plan makes everything crazy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea if judges/clerks/interns would be in chambers today to receive calls about parlays? Is it poor form to call on a Sunday for a parlay?

I doubt you will get anyone answering phones and wanting to deal with parlays on a Sunday.

ClerkAdvisor

Bronze

Post by ClerkAdvisor » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea if judges/clerks/interns would be in chambers today to receive calls about parlays? Is it poor form to call on a Sunday for a parlay?

I'd recommend generally avoiding chambers where someone answers the phone on a Sunday. And no, it's not at all bad form to cancel an interview because you got an offer... that's how things work. Plus, we don't want to waste time interviewing someone who's off the market (outside of the COA's that have a summer break in their sittings, most courts stay relatively busy year round).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”