Let's talk 2nd Circuit! Forum

(Seek and share information about clerkship applications, clerkship hiring timelines, and post-clerkship employment opportunities)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about clerkship applications and clerkship hiring. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Anonymous User

Re: Let's talk 2nd Circuit!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:50 pm

It’s Perez, not Lee. Lee isn’t someone who instinctively rocks the boat. Same for Nathan and Robinson. Calabresi is in the same bucket as Perez but of a different generation, and he might be the most liberal judge on the court. Chin also can be very liberal depending on the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:51 pm

What is this based on?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:51 pm
What is this based on?
Not the commenter and idk if we're using woke as a negative or a positive (I guess it's both depending on who you ask) but I assume they're just sort of theorizing based on things like clerk hiring, pre-judge/post-judge writings/work, involvment or whatever. This being the case, I guess Lee and Perez are the "woke" ones, but truthfully at this point I dont actually know what distinguishes someone who is far left on the judge scale and someone who is "woke."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
What is this based on?
Not the commenter and idk if we're using woke as a negative or a positive (I guess it's both depending on who you ask) but I assume they're just sort of theorizing based on things like clerk hiring, pre-judge/post-judge writings/work, involvment or whatever. This being the case, I guess Lee and Perez are the "woke" ones, but truthfully at this point I dont actually know what distinguishes someone who is far left on the judge scale and someone who is "woke."
I would say "woke" is more about the window trimmings of the job: hiring, the judge's off-bench activities (speeches, causes supported, writings), and chambers culture. None of that necessarily carries over to being a philosophically liberal jurist, but obviously, a "woke" judge will usually be quite liberal. The opposite isn't always true, there are some judges out there who rule quite liberally but run a more formal/traditional workplace.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What is this based on?
I would say "woke" is more about the window trimmings of the job: hiring, the judge's off-bench activities (speeches, causes supported, writings), and chambers culture. None of that necessarily carries over to being a philosophically liberal jurist, but obviously, a "woke" judge will usually be quite liberal. The opposite isn't always true, there are some judges out there who rule quite liberally but run a more formal/traditional workplace.
So a better question would be: which judge has the wokest chambers?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What is this based on?
So a better question would be: which judge has the wokest chambers?
Can't be Perez. I hear her chambers needs a lot of naps due to the brutal hours. :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:47 pm

Anyone know anything about Gardephe?

Edit: also heard he works a lot, but anyone know what effect going senior has had on that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:31 pm

Gardephe works clerks really, really hard. I know someone who had a good experience with him and someone else who did not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:31 pm
Gardephe works clerks really, really hard. I know someone who had a good experience with him and someone else who did not.
Worse or better or equal to that Cogan/Koeltl/similar ones?

Edit: What I'm basically asking is how much harder these clerks work than the median SDNY judge. I'm in biglaw so I can handle it, but I also am not the type of person who can do mentally grueling tasks (as I assume clerks are probably not doing any braindead work) from 9-9 M-F

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:31 pm
Worse or better or equal to that Cogan/Koeltl/similar ones?

Edit: What I'm basically asking is how much harder these clerks work than the median SDNY judge. I'm in biglaw so I can handle it, but I also am not the type of person who can do mentally grueling tasks (as I assume clerks are probably not doing any braindead work) from 9-9 M-F
9-9 is not unusual for the harder-working judges on SDNY, of whom Gardephe is definitely one. I’ve heard not good things fwiw but through a game of telephone I wouldn’t trust if you have better info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 pm

This information is from four years ago - so no idea if his going senior has changed anything (genuinely curious to hear if anyone has updated info) - but I’m told Gardephe’s clerks usually left somewhere between 8 and 9 (I.e. same time as him).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:07 pm
This information is from four years ago - so no idea if his going senior has changed anything (genuinely curious to hear if anyone has updated info) - but I’m told Gardephe’s clerks usually left somewhere between 8 and 9 (I.e. same time as him).

Is that considered bad for SDNY?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Judicial Clerkships”