Wake Forest Class of 2015

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
ash0117

Wake Forest Class of 2015

Postby ash0117 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 am

Hello! This thread is for those of us who were admitted to Wake Forest University and are planning on attending.

IMPORTANT DATES:

April 15, 2012: 1st Seat Deposit Due ($500)
June 15, 2012: 2nd Seat Deposit Due ($500)
TBD: House Hunt
August 17, 2012: 1L Orientation Begins

Important Links:
Academic Calendar: http://academics.law.wfu.edu/calendar/
Financial Aid: http://admissions.law.wfu.edu/aid/
Class of 2015 Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/279091115470436/
Requirements for JD: http://academics.law.wfu.edu/degree/jd/
Housing List: http://law.wfu.edu/housing/

Let me know if there is anything else you want included!
Last edited by ash0117 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ash0117

Re: Wake Forest Class of 2015

Postby ash0117 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:24 am

No future classmates?

TichoBlanco

Postby TichoBlanco » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Pretty sure I'll be attending. Why are you choosing Wake?

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Well, my decision came down to William and Mary, Wake, or UF in-state. I'm sorry for the book, but here it goes:

After visiting Wake and researching Wake and William and Mary, I decided that the decision was between Wake and UF. I just really didn't like to tiny town of Williamsburg- after living in St. Augustine, FL for a while, I didn't really want to live in a "historical tourist destination." Nothing really wrong with the school, just the location. Between Wake and UF, it was a much harder decision.

UF had quite a few things going for it- in-state tuition being the number one plus. But I had a lot of reservations about it as well. I've been to Gainesville quite a few times and even considered UF for undergrad. I hate the town. I'm not a die hard partier, and Gainesville is the definition of a party town. I also find the town to be dirty and overrun by 18 year olds. It definitely caters to the undergrad population. I have also always been very frustrated because the city shuts down EVERY Saturday for the entire Fall for football. It's nice to go visit and see a game, but living there would be another story. While there is no debate that UF has the best reputation in the state, I have always wanted to leave Florida and practice in the South or Midwest. A UF law degree has almost no portability for me to do so. It's also competitive- I have heard horror stories of students ripping pages out of books in the library so their classmates cannot get the information. I was also concerned by the large class sizes and getting lost in the crowd, since my UG was pretty small.

Wake, on the other hand, was located in an area that I would love to live. Although Winston-Salem has its problems, I like that it is a city where the school happens to be located as opposed to a city built around and revolving around a school. North Carolina has always been one of my favorite places to vacation and I always imagined living there some day. My parents plan on retiring to the NC mountains in a few years. I loved Wakes small class sizes and intimate setting. Everything felt new but it was still personal. No microphones were needed in the classrooms to ensure that the entire class could hear! I love that there are only appx. 140 1Ls. I feel like I will be more than just a face in the crowd. Career Services seems to be very helpful and OCI looks decent for its rank/reputation. I want to be part of a community and I think Wake provides that more than anywhere else. I think the school is beautiful and everyone that I have met and talked to has been unbelievably helpful. I have not heard of extreme competitiveness and students seem to want to help each other. The professors are even motivated to help. I can definitely see myself fitting in well there. Also, I was attracted to their clinics, journals, student organizations and the schools reputation in NC. With the scholarship I received, it will only cost be about $15,000 more total to go to Wake and, to me, that was a small amount compared to long term happiness and job opportunities. So, given these circumstances and barring an unbelievable acceptance or scholarship, I have decided that Wake is for me.

tl;dr- I love the small classes and familial atmosphere of Wake, along with the location.

After my novel, I'd love to hear why you chose Wake!

TichoBlanco

Postby TichoBlanco » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:32 pm

I agree with basically all of your reasons. I'm from NJ and our three law schools don't really inspire much excitement or confidence. I didn't want to get into the whole New York scene since ultimately I want to practice in NJ. I got into W&M as well but also wasn't crazy about how small the town is. So Wake sort seemed like a good balance of a great program, pleasant atmosphere and affordable cost of living. I couldn't make it to an ASD but I checked out the school on my way back from FLA during spring break. Plus, I got a nice scholarship so its actually my cheapest option.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Wake's scholarship and location. Although I'm more South Carolina than North.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 pm

Hey guys. I'm a 2L at Wake. I picked Wake for many of the same reasons and I'm very happy with my choice. I really like it here. If you have any questions, let me know.

TichoBlanco

Postby TichoBlanco » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:06 am

tstyler98 wrote:Hey guys. I'm a 2L at Wake. I picked Wake for many of the same reasons and I'm very happy with my choice. I really like it here. If you have any questions, let me know.

Hey I was looking through Wake's list of course offerings today and I was wondering if there are ever issues with certain classes filling up. Have you ever had or heard of people having trouble getting into a class you really wanted to take? Also, how in demand are spots in the clinics?

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 am

tstyler98 wrote:Hey guys. I'm a 2L at Wake. I picked Wake for many of the same reasons and I'm very happy with my choice. I really like it here. If you have any questions, let me know.

How was your experience with 1L summer? What type of employment opportunities did you and others find? Thanks!

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:40 am

ash0117 wrote:Well, my decision came down to William and Mary, Wake, or UF in-state. I'm sorry for the book, but here it goes:

After visiting Wake and researching Wake and William and Mary, I decided that the decision was between Wake and UF. I just really didn't like to tiny town of Williamsburg- after living in St. Augustine, FL for a while, I didn't really want to live in a "historical tourist destination." Nothing really wrong with the school, just the location. Between Wake and UF, it was a much harder decision.

UF had quite a few things going for it- in-state tuition being the number one plus. But I had a lot of reservations about it as well. I've been to Gainesville quite a few times and even considered UF for undergrad. I hate the town. I'm not a die hard partier, and Gainesville is the definition of a party town. I also find the town to be dirty and overrun by 18 year olds. It definitely caters to the undergrad population. I have also always been very frustrated because the city shuts down EVERY Saturday for the entire Fall for football. It's nice to go visit and see a game, but living there would be another story. While there is no debate that UF has the best reputation in the state, I have always wanted to leave Florida and practice in the South or Midwest. A UF law degree has almost no portability for me to do so. It's also competitive- I have heard horror stories of students ripping pages out of books in the library so their classmates cannot get the information. I was also concerned by the large class sizes and getting lost in the crowd, since my UG was pretty small.

Wake, on the other hand, was located in an area that I would love to live. Although Winston-Salem has its problems, I like that it is a city where the school happens to be located as opposed to a city built around and revolving around a school. North Carolina has always been one of my favorite places to vacation and I always imagined living there some day. My parents plan on retiring to the NC mountains in a few years. I loved Wakes small class sizes and intimate setting. Everything felt new but it was still personal. No microphones were needed in the classrooms to ensure that the entire class could hear! I love that there are only appx. 140 1Ls. I feel like I will be more than just a face in the crowd. Career Services seems to be very helpful and OCI looks decent for its rank/reputation. I want to be part of a community and I think Wake provides that more than anywhere else. I think the school is beautiful and everyone that I have met and talked to has been unbelievably helpful. I have not heard of extreme competitiveness and students seem to want to help each other. The professors are even motivated to help. I can definitely see myself fitting in well there. Also, I was attracted to their clinics, journals, student organizations and the schools reputation in NC. With the scholarship I received, it will only cost be about $15,000 more total to go to Wake and, to me, that was a small amount compared to long term happiness and job opportunities. So, given these circumstances and barring an unbelievable acceptance or scholarship, I have decided that Wake is for me.

tl;dr- I love the small classes and familial atmosphere of Wake, along with the location.

Thanks for all your insight. I did need your advice for I was in a similar situation to pick between Wake and UF. Few people offered useful info. in my thread about Wake vs. Florida. Your statement drags me futher towards Wake.

BTW, do you join us in Facebook? Some of us are there. :lol:

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 am

risingdragon wrote:
ash0117 wrote:Well, my decision came down to William and Mary, Wake, or UF in-state. I'm sorry for the book, but here it goes:

Thanks for all your insight. I did need your advice for I was in a similar situation to pick between Wake and UF. Few people offered useful info. in my thread about Wake vs. Florida. Your statement drags me futher towards Wake.

I'm there! Although the group does seem a little quiet for this late in the cycle. I hope it picks up after deposit deadlines as more people make a decision. I am very excited about wake and the opportunities that come with it. I am under no illusions that it has the same job prospects as UVA or NYU. I don't want to be rich, I want to be happy and I truly believe that wake will bring that for me. So, have you decided to join me yet :) lol

TichoBlanco

Postby TichoBlanco » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:37 am

ash0117 wrote: I don't want to be rich, I want to be happy and I truly believe that wake will bring that for me.

Couldn't agree more

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:04 am

ash0117 wrote:
risingdragon wrote:

I'm there! Although the group does seem a little quiet for this late in the cycle. I hope it picks up after deposit deadlines as more people make a decision. I am very excited about wake and the opportunities that come with it. I am under no illusions that it has the same job prospects as UVA or NYU. I don't want to be rich, I want to be happy and I truly believe that wake will bring that for me. So, have you decided to join me yet :) lol

You know what, the group has been quiet since it is founded. LOL. Anyway, I agree with your point. So many TLS empathesis on Biglaws and Top14. They can say I am naive but not all of us can be at the peak of the world and not only those people are happy.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:06 am

TichoBlanco wrote:

Hey I was looking through Wake's list of course offerings today and I was wondering if there are ever issues with certain classes filling up. Have you ever had or heard of people having trouble getting into a class you really wanted to take? Also, how in demand are spots in the clinics?

Yes, there are times when people aren't able to get into the classes they want. One of the classes I took this semester only had about 4 spots left by the time the 2Ls registered. There were definitely people who ended up on the wait list. Sometimes you'll still get into the class because people will drop the course or the professor will allow additional people in. But that doesn't always happen. This is generally more of a problem for 2Ls because they register after the 3Ls. But many courses (but not all) are offered every year, so you can likely take it the following year.

Clinics vary. There are certain clinics that generally only go to 3Ls, such as the Litigation clinic. I'm pretty sure the Appellate Advocacy clinic is only open to 3Ls because it is a full-year thing. The Elder Law clinic is only open to 3Ls in the fall, but allows 2 2Ls in the spring (there are 8 spots total). You have to apply and the professor picks the all the spots based on the application. There are 2Ls in both the Children's clinic and the Innocence and Justice clinic. But all of the clinics are offered every semester, so if you don't get in one semester, you'll likely get in the following semester. And some students take multiple clinics before they graduate.

ash0117 wrote:

How was your experience with 1L summer? What type of employment opportunities did you and others find? Thanks!

Last summer, I worked at Legal Aid here in Winston. It was the only place I applied to because I really wanted to work there. I really enjoyed it and got a lot of hands-on experience. Most 1Ls last year had jobs. If they didn't, it was often by choice and they studied abroad, worked as a research assistant for a professor, or took summer classes.

I think most of the 2Ls have jobs for this coming summer. I'll being working for a solo practitioner in Asheville.

Gail

Postby Gail » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:06 pm

This might be a new question and completely unanswereable. What is market in North Carolina for smaller law firms?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:34 am

Gail wrote:This might be a new question and completely unanswereable. What is market in North Carolina for smaller law firms?

I think it really varies. Some are hiring, and some aren't. The hard part is that they usually don't hire early on and often wait until someone passes the bar to hire them, so you usually won't know whether you have a job until after you pass the bar.

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:46 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
Gail wrote:This might be a new question and completely unanswereable. What is market in North Carolina for smaller law firms?

I think it really varies. Some are hiring, and some aren't. The hard part is that they usually don't hire early on and often wait until someone passes the bar to hire them, so you usually won't know whether you have a job until after you pass the bar.

Thanks. What about starting salaries? It's probably less relevant for me since I highly doubt I'll be able to get a job in the south with a small or midsized firm, but on the off chance...

charon

Postby charon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 am

I'm still waiting to hear back from one more school before I make a final decision, but at this point I'm 95% sure I'll be at WF in the fall. I have to say I'm pretty excited about all the good things I've been hearing!

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 am

Gail wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:

Thanks. What about starting salaries? It's probably less relevant for me since I highly doubt I'll be able to get a job in the south with a small or midsized firm, but on the off chance...

I don't know. Most people don't really discuss that, and most of the people I'm close enough to to discuss it haven't graduated yet.

Gail

Postby Gail » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 pm

tstyler98 wrote:I don't know. Most people don't really discuss that, and most of the people I'm close enough to to discuss it haven't graduated yet.

Alright, cool. No worries. That's understandable. I was really comforted by seeing a lot of people who had come from all over the states at ASD. That plus talking to lawyers in my hometown who offered to take my resume into consideration when the time comes. I'm pretty close to going to Wake Forest.

I think if I can't land midlaw/biglaw in North Carolina or South Carolina, I can get back home. I'm glad small law firms in my area are open to law schools from out of state if the law student was born and raised in town.

The good and bad of insular small, law firms.

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:03 pm

So, where is everybody planning to live? I'll be in crowne park.

risingdragon

Postby risingdragon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:29 pm

ash0117 wrote:So, where is everybody planning to live? I'll be in crowne park.

I will live in Wake Properties. Close and convenient since I do not have a driver license, let alone a car. :lol:

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:47 am

risingdragon wrote:
ash0117 wrote:So, where is everybody planning to live? I'll be in crowne park.

I will live in Wake Properties. Close and convenient since I do not have a driver license, let alone a car. :lol:

I can definitely understand that. I considered Wake Properties, but I decided I wanted to live alone my first year. So it's just going to be me and my dog in a 1/1 for the first year. Wow, no car! I've had a car since I was 16, can't imagine life without it! I know that there are shuttles and public transportation, so it is possible. If you ever need a ride though , I'd be more than happy to help!

Throwaway2142

Postby Throwaway2142 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Can anyone familiar with the Winston-Salem area clarify on the commuting options available for Wake Forest Law? I know they have free student busing system, so is it possible to find free parking in the area that one could then bus from? If worse comes to worse, what does a parking pass run per semester?

ash0117

Postby ash0117 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Did anyone get the loan information email? Those numbers were VERY scary. Even with my scholarship, I am so terrified. Anyone else in this position?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”