W&L c/o 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Where are you living?

Generals Retreat
20%
Apartment downtown
30%
House downtown
No votes
Pikes Place
10%
Out of Town
20%
Other?
20%

Total votes: 10

wvu

Gold

Re: W&L c/o 2015

Post by wvu » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Well ASW impressed me so much that I'll be sending in my deposits as soon as I can figure out how the hell I withdraw from this 529 account. :lol:

Still looking around for a place to live. The General's Retreat was nice, if a bit small, and looking at some other places around town too.

jaysgirl42671

Bronze

Post by jaysgirl42671 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Why is it that I can be so ecstatic about going to W&L but I'm in denial about the necessity of withdrawing other apps? I feel so bad withdrawing, like they'll take it personally. (Yes, I am that important. :lol: )

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:43 pm

jaysgirl42671 wrote:Why is it that I can be so ecstatic about going to W&L but I'm in denial about the necessity of withdrawing other apps? I feel so bad withdrawing, like they'll take it personally. (Yes, I am that important. :lol: )
No they are actually pretty nice about the whole matter, I withdrew from my other acceptances and all of them have replied with warm wishes for my future at w&l, richmond even wanted me to complete a survey..its best to withdraw, and withdraw soon, if more students would withdraw sooner it would probably allow schools to go to their waitlist sooner, if they are going to at all.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Sent in my deposit last week and withdrew from everywhere else. I never mentioned where I was going instead, I just said I was weighing other options more heavily, but all the schools I sent emails to were very courteous and wished me luck in making my decision.

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:05 pm

hookem7 wrote:Sent in my deposit last week and withdrew from everywhere else. I never mentioned where I was going instead, I just said I was weighing other options more heavily, but all the schools I sent emails to were very courteous and wished me luck in making my decision.
Sending in the deposit this week after a wonderful experience at ASW. Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

Where is everyone living?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:42 pm

Just sent in my deposit last night and got a nice email from Brett welcoming me.

I'm looking at either Pike's Place or General's Retreat, I can't decide if the extra space at Pike's Place is worth being out of town. Basically wondering if it is better to be in walking distance of downtown/school or if driving is ok.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:07 pm

wvuchip wrote:Just sent in my deposit last night and got a nice email from Brett welcoming me.

I'm looking at either Pike's Place or General's Retreat, I can't decide if the extra space at Pike's Place is worth being out of town. Basically wondering if it is better to be in walking distance of downtown/school or if driving is ok.
i actually spoke with a student who lived in pike's her 1L year and loved it there but hated the commute and just signed a lease for general's retreat for the next year..hope that helps..but then again i've heard bad stuff about general's retreat..if i was you i would do retreat over pike's just because of location.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:09 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
hookem7 wrote:Sent in my deposit last week and withdrew from everywhere else. I never mentioned where I was going instead, I just said I was weighing other options more heavily, but all the schools I sent emails to were very courteous and wished me luck in making my decision.
Sending in the deposit this week after a wonderful experience at ASW. Can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

yayyyy..and i grabbed a place about a month ago above a book store in town for 650 a month..its a great 2bedroom, 10 min walk to school and right in the town..im excited =)

what about you?

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 pm

anjmissy wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:

yayyyy..and i grabbed a place about a month ago above a book store in town for 650 a month..its a great 2bedroom, 10 min walk to school and right in the town..im excited =)

what about you?
Currently calling realtors about places in the area. Who did you contact?, if you don't mind me asking. You can pm me if you'd prefer not to put it on the forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:17 pm

pmed
CwallXC322 wrote:
anjmissy wrote:
CwallXC322 wrote:

what about you?
Currently calling realtors about places in the area. Who did you contact?, if you don't mind me asking. You can pm me if you'd prefer not to put it on the forum.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:34 pm

anjmissy wrote:
wvuchip wrote:Just sent in my deposit last night and got a nice email from Brett welcoming me.

i actually spoke with a student who lived in pike's her 1L year and loved it there but hated the commute and just signed a lease for general's retreat for the next year..hope that helps..but then again i've heard bad stuff about general's retreat..if i was you i would do retreat over pike's just because of location.
Yeah I'm leaning toward Retreat too... only thing I worry about is if it's enough space for my dog (she's a Lab).

crouton62

New

Post by crouton62 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:27 am

Retreat is fine; not great, but fine for what it is. Tons of law students live there and younger townies/young folks who work for the University. Walls are thin I've heard and you're surrounded by the fraternity houses, so if rowdy noise will bother you then that might be an issue. Also, if anyone gets referred to a guy named Shaner to be your landlord, run far away. Rented from that guy my junior year and it was an awful experience. Slumlord to the max.

I got a place over a shop downtown for 600 a month. It's a 2 bedroom, but I'll be living solo, at least for the first year. A bit on the higher end for Lex rent, but the location is a dream one for me. As a UG, I always said I wanted to live there if I went to W&L Law.

As always, if you have questions, hit me up, I'm glad to answer.

crouton62

New

Post by crouton62 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:28 am

crouton62 wrote:Retreat is fine; not great, but fine for what it is. Tons of law students live there and younger townies/young folks who work for the University. Walls are thin I've heard and you're surrounded by the fraternity houses, so if rowdy noise will bother you then that might be an issue. Also, if anyone gets referred to a guy named Shaner to be your landlord, run far away. Rented from that guy my junior year and it was an awful experience. Slumlord to the max.

I got a place over a shop downtown for 600 a month. It's a 2 bedroom, but I'll be living solo, at least for the first year. A bit on the higher end for Lex rent, but the location is a dream one for me. As a UG, I always said I wanted to live there if I went to W&L Law.

As always, if you have questions, hit me up, I'm glad to answer.
Yall might also look at the Borden Commons. It's an apartment complex right across the road from the back enterance to the law school...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Deposit sent in. $750 is pretty steep, but I suppose it is only a fraction in the grand total of law school expenses. Pumped for the fall.

mh2015

New

Post by mh2015 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I have heard that Ms. Reel is a great realtor - she came highly recommended to me when I went up for ASW. I still haven't decided on W&L, but I wanted to get a feel for apartments in the area, and she was a fabulous resource for that.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateagents ... source=web

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Last edited by goldeneye on Thu May 09, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:04 pm

goldeneye wrote:Can anyone post more comments about Generals Retreat? I know they were just renovated from my discussions with the landlord. Haven't put a deposit down but leaning that way.
A girl in the FB group (don't know if you're on there?) says "I live in General's Retreat and love it; I would recommend looking into the apartments here!"

Brett also posted that he had some people that lived there that he would be happy to put people into contact with, so if you give him an email you might be able to learn some more.

I'm looking out at Pike's Place right now, but the Retreat is a close close second due to its proximity.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CwallXC322

Bronze

Post by CwallXC322 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:09 pm

wvuchip wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Can anyone post more comments about Generals Retreat? I know they were just renovated from my discussions with the landlord. Haven't put a deposit down but leaning that way.
A girl in the FB group (don't know if you're on there?) says "I live in General's Retreat and love it; I would recommend looking into the apartments here!"

Brett also posted that he had some people that lived there that he would be happy to put people into contact with, so if you give him an email you might be able to learn some more.

I'm looking out at Pike's Place right now, but the Retreat is a close close second due to its proximity.
How far is Pikes place from the law school? Do you have the address?

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:26 pm

CwallXC322 wrote:
wvuchip wrote:

How far is Pikes place from the law school? Do you have the address?
About a 5-10 minute drive or so, I think. The road is called "Trimmer Trail"; it's somewhat behind the Walmart.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:06 pm

here is what a current resident of retreat said to me about a few weeks ago

Congratulations on being admitted! I'll give you some pros and cons for General's Retreat to give you an idea of what its like.

Pros
Its walking distance to downtown and school. To school it takes 10-12 minutes door to door in cold weather. This is nice because going home in the middle of the day is no hassle and there is really no commute to school. To downtown its like a five minute walk which is important for if/when you want to go out to the bars/restaurants or parties. Some of my friends who live a little further out there near Walmart, have a more difficult time finding a way home. There is traveller for those folks but its nice to just be able to walk. Also, this is a second pro, a bunch of friends live at GR so I can always find someone to walk home with. Lexington is safe so I definitely feel fine walking home alone, but its nice to walk with someone.

Its two floors so it feels bigger and works well when having guests over. Personally, I feel like the two floors is awesome and since it separates the bedrooms from the common areas (kitchen/living room) its great for having parties. I know that my bedroom is separate from the party people. Also, related to having guests over, there is plenty of parking and my guests never have a problem parking when they come over. Also, I have a dog so the two floors really works well for me.

It has a really nice and new washer and dryer, hardwood floors throughout, a renovated kitchen with nice counters, and from me and some of my friends, they threw in a free TV. These are all things that some of my friends who live in other places don't have.

The management has been really good with me and responding to any requests or repairs that I've needed. They are really friendly and have been nice to deal with, compared to some of my friend's experiences with old and grumpy landlords.

Cons
There are some things that I would want to change about my apartment. Note that many of these things are true for many/most apartments in lexington because the buildings are older. The walls are paper thin. Many times, I can hear my neighbors. However, even though the walls are thin its not noisy. I can definitely study at home if I want to. On Friday and Saturday nights you can expect it to be noisier if your neighbors are having guests over, but I think thats true anywhere where you have neighbors who are students. Also, the upstairs is always nice and cozy but the first floor can be chillier. I have rugs, which help, and I just blast the heat. Surprisingly, my utilities have not been crazy even though I blast the heat and sometimes forget to turn it off when I leave the house ($100ish a month).

Overall, I like it here. Its a nice, clean space and I love the two floors. I live alone and I use the second bedroom as a study/extra storage. I know one of my friends has a roommate and they seem to be doing fine. I happen to think the second bedroom is a little too tiny to fit all of the bedroom furniture in their comfortably, but I may just be a bit high maintenance lol. I wanted to live alone because at this point in my life I'm over the roommate thing. Considering how busy law school is, I wanted to be able to come, home, lounge on my couch and not have to worry about a roommate. However, many of my friends do have roommates and are happy. It all depends on personal preference.

Let me know if you have any other questions about General's Retreat or W&L more generally! Good luck!

her reviews were really helpful and in the end it helped me decided against retreat, but mainly because of price.

jaysgirl42671

Bronze

Post by jaysgirl42671 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:21 pm

How did everyone get in touch with a realtor? I'm having a hard time getting one to get back to me. Phone? Email? Carrier pigeon, perhaps?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:58 pm

I simply called and made an appointment, but prior to that I submitted info on the websites for someone to get in touch with me and it never happened that way, I would say phone is the best way.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:28 pm

I called Reel and she basically refused to help me find a place that took pets, so I just went down there and found my awesome place within literally 10 minutes.

So she's a shitty realtor is my point, I guess.

anjmissy

Bronze

Post by anjmissy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 pm

wvuchip wrote:I called Reel and she basically refused to help me find a place that took pets, so I just went down there and found my awesome place within literally 10 minutes.

i wouldn't call her shitty, shes a realtor helping students find rentals for free, no charge for the student..if you go to a real city and seek help like that they will probably charge you. In actuality shes paid to help place tenants in apartments/homes that shes the listing agent for, anything else isn't really her responsibility, or the responsibility of any other realtor who is not charging a fee.

it is pretty easy to find a place without a realtor though

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 pm

anjmissy wrote:
wvuchip wrote:I called Reel and she basically refused to help me find a place that took pets, so I just went down there and found my awesome place within literally 10 minutes.

i wouldn't call her shitty, shes a realtor helping students find rentals for free, no charge for the student..if you go to a real city and seek help like that they will probably charge you. In actuality shes paid to help place tenants in apartments/homes that shes the listing agent for, anything else isn't really her responsibility, or the responsibility of any other realtor who is not charging a fee.

it is pretty easy to find a place without a realtor though
How do i go about finding a place if I can't get down there till mid-june....Im looking for a 3 bedroom within walking distance to school and downtown

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”