Northwestern c/o 2015 - Coming up: Clown car Ikea parties Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
cmob

New

Re: Northwestern Class of 2015 (now w/ 100% more Scarlet!)

Post by cmob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
cmob wrote: If I'm dropping $1,200, I'm going to do it hard.
+ motherfucking 1. Also, holymotherofgod that place is BEAUTIFUL. O________O
And it's cheaper per-person. And, for many of these, you don't have to drop loans on furniture. And you don't have to be at the library to find nice study space. Usually I don't solicit like this, but that's how I'm in such a nice place now and it's comparatively cheap. I really don't want to bet my NW loans that I can cope with a crap apartment.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 am

cmob wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
cmob wrote: If I'm dropping $1,200, I'm going to do it hard.
+ motherfucking 1. Also, holymotherofgod that place is BEAUTIFUL. O________O
And it's cheaper per-person. And, for many of these, you don't have to drop loans on furniture. And you don't have to be at the library to find nice study space. Usually I don't solicit like this, but that's how I'm in such a nice place now and it's comparatively cheap. I really don't want to bet my NW loans that I can cope with a crap apartment.
My only concern would be transit/getting to class during the winter.

...............annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I just google mapped it. Right next to a 66 stop, 5 min (half a mile) by bike for good weather.

I. Want. This. Place. o_o

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 am

cmob wrote:Right now I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do for housing, because Northwestern conveniently sits in the most expensive neighborhood in downtown Chicago. Who knows, if people get along at ASW and are cool with roommates, you could affordably move into something like this (notice it's furnished) : <http://www.domu.com/chicago/neighborhoo ... il-60611-0>

I'm just saying, I really hate living by myself if it means being in a 8x12 white box. If I'm dropping $1,200, I'm going to do it hard.
I agree completely. If I attend, I will definitely be looking to live in someplace nice with 1 or 2 roommates, preferably c/o 15

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:19 am

I'm worried I'm missing something financial aid wise... I did the need access, I did my FAFSA, and I filled out the form with the essays. I haven't sent in a copy of my tax return though, is that necessary?

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:37 am

Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AlexGrace

New

Post by AlexGrace » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:56 am

citygirl000 wrote:
AlexGrace wrote:I'm worried I'm missing something financial aid wise... I did the need access, I did my FAFSA, and I filled out the form with the essays. I haven't sent in a copy of my tax return though, is that necessary?
Nope, tax returns are not necessary (I called to check)
Thanks!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
cmob wrote:Right now I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do for housing, because Northwestern conveniently sits in the most expensive neighborhood in downtown Chicago. Who knows, if people get along at ASW and are cool with roommates, you could affordably move into something like this (notice it's furnished) : <http://www.domu.com/chicago/neighborhoo ... il-60611-0>

I'm just saying, I really hate living by myself if it means being in a 8x12 white box. If I'm dropping $1,200, I'm going to do it hard.
I agree completely. If I attend, I will definitely be looking to live in someplace nice with 1 or 2 roommates, preferably c/o 15
I totally see the financial advantage of living with roommates, but I've lived on my own for almost a decade now and I don't think law school is quite the right moment to attempt to mesh myself with a roommate for the first time in so many years! Maybe 2L year, when I've made friends I know I'd get along with, and the stress of changing environments is lessened.

cmob

New

Post by cmob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
dolfan0516 wrote:

I totally see the financial advantage of living with roommates, but I've lived on my own for almost a decade now and I don't think law school is quite the right moment to attempt to mesh myself with a roommate for the first time in so many years! Maybe 2L year, when I've made friends I know I'd get along with, and the stress of changing environments is lessened.
I'd agree with you on principle; it's more of a personal decision than a specifically financial one. For some, including me, having a nicer apartment / money for good food is pretty important when I choose to stay in and study, rather than be elsewhere. Also, I don't have much furniture to fill a complete apt. Finding the right roommate is huge, and one obviously prefers maturity in order to "mesh".

If I were in your shoes, though, I would most likely feel the same way.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 pm

I've only lived alone once in my life and while it gave me a lot of freedom, I'm not the type of person who flourishes while living alone. I have a tendency to get lazy and sleep in/not interact with anyone and just hole up at home. Having roommates (IMO) is not only more enjoyable, but it also makes me feel more obligated to act like a real person :P

Also, unlike a lot of people, I really enjoy being surrounded by people 24/7. The biggest issue with roommates for me is drama, since I've only ever lived with family & with VERY good friends (except for freshman year of college). I really, really don't want to have to deal with petty roommate drama during 1L, so if I do find a roommate I want it to be someone chill.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

terriers

New

Post by terriers » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:10 pm

I've been a bit torn about that as well, I enjoy living alone for the most part, but definitely agree that it crimps your social life. Some nights, you do kind of have to force yourself to go out and be sociable. Might go studio for the 1L and maybe look for a roommate couple years.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Eh, I travel for work like 70% of the time, so for much of my post-undergrad life I've been living alone in hotel rooms in different places every few months and I don't *think* I'm anti-social. I don't think living alone by itself will make you anti-social; it's more about how/if you interact with people while you are in class/on campus/going out.

On a side note, just booked my flight to ASW! Looking forward to the TLS meetup!

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I've only lived alone once in my life and while it gave me a lot of freedom, I'm not the type of person who flourishes while living alone. I have a tendency to get lazy and sleep in/not interact with anyone and just hole up at home. Having roommates (IMO) is not only more enjoyable, but it also makes me feel more obligated to act like a real person :P

Also, unlike a lot of people, I really enjoy being surrounded by people 24/7. The biggest issue with roommates for me is drama, since I've only ever lived with family & with VERY good friends (except for freshman year of college). I really, really don't want to have to deal with petty roommate drama during 1L, so if I do find a roommate I want it to be someone chill.
You said you want someone ...chill? :wink:

But on the real: I'm actually the same way. I live alone right now and I hate it. I get so much more done when I feel guilty hanging out in pajamas past 10 am, and a roommate is the best way for me to guarantee that. Plus, I like having people to share a coffee pot with, or I'll drink the whole thing and get the 2 pm jitters.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, you guys, I visited WUSTL and they sure gave me a lot to love. They sure are making this decision difficult. BUT, I'm up from 95% sure I'm attending NU to 99%. Just need to do some due diligence before I commit 100%. Yay NU!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaveman

New

Post by kaveman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 am

Anyone know if we're expected to mention other acceptances/scholarships in response to the second scholarship essay question?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am

kaveman wrote:Anyone know if we're expected to mention other acceptances/scholarships in response to the second scholarship essay question?
I'm not going to. For one, it would be hard for it not to come off as crass. For two, you are giving up all your negotiating power out of the gate. They would likely just offer you the same amount they were planning to offer you because there would be no way to no if the offer was due to your situation, your essays or your other offers. And then you have already used your other offers.

Negotiation is all about information. You want to be in control of as much information as you can and release it at strategic times.

ETA: Here's a FAQ page which lays out the negotiation process (third Q from the bottom): https://www.law.northwestern.edu/newstu ... ialaid/jd/

kaveman

New

Post by kaveman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Samara wrote:
kaveman wrote:Anyone know if we're expected to mention other acceptances/scholarships in response to the second scholarship essay question?
I'm not going to. For one, it would be hard for it not to come off as crass. For two, you are giving up all your negotiating power out of the gate. They would likely just offer you the same amount they were planning to offer you because there would be no way to no if the offer was due to your situation, your essays or your other offers. And then you have already used your other offers.

Negotiation is all about information. You want to be in control of as much information as you can and release it at strategic times.

ETA: Here's a FAQ page which lays out the negotiation process (third Q from the bottom): https://www.law.northwestern.edu/newstu ... ialaid/jd/
Good call with the FAQ. And you're totally right about giving up negotiating power, was just wondering if I was the only one who thought that. What do you think about including one offer from a peer school, just to let them know you're desirable, and later using an offer from a higher ranked school. The FAQ makes it seem like they want you to hold off until they make an offer, but why not give them something to go off of?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:17 pm

kaveman wrote:Good call with the FAQ. And you're totally right about giving up negotiating power, was just wondering if I was the only one who thought that. What do you think about including one offer from a peer school, just to let them know you're desirable, and later using an offer from a higher ranked school. The FAQ makes it seem like they want you to hold off until they make an offer, but why not give them something to go off of?
I mean, ultimately it's a personal decision based on how you think you can best sell yourself. And for me, I really only have one offer worth negotiating with, so it's easy for me to say this. But I still think it's best to lead with idealism and get to hard numbers later. The thing is, they know from your numbers roughly what offers you have, so it wouldn't add anything and would possibly detract from the opportunity to pretend that you deserve money for pie-in-the-sky reasons.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kaveman

New

Post by kaveman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Samara wrote:
kaveman wrote:Good call with the FAQ. And you're totally right about giving up negotiating power, was just wondering if I was the only one who thought that. What do you think about including one offer from a peer school, just to let them know you're desirable, and later using an offer from a higher ranked school. The FAQ makes it seem like they want you to hold off until they make an offer, but why not give them something to go off of?
I mean, ultimately it's a personal decision based on how you think you can best sell yourself. And for me, I really only have one offer worth negotiating with, so it's easy for me to say this. But I still think it's best to lead with idealism and get to hard numbers later. The thing is, they know from your numbers roughly what offers you have, so it wouldn't add anything and would possibly detract from the opportunity to pretend that you deserve money for pie-in-the-sky reasons.
Good point. Gonna think some more about it before I send it off tonight.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:24 pm

kaveman wrote:
Samara wrote:
Good point. Gonna think some more about it before I send it off tonight.
Yeah, I've been thinking about it a lot, which is why it is two days before the deadline and I still haven't submitted it. (At least, that's what I'm telling myself is the reason.)

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:26 pm

I have my eye on you, kaveman. There is limited cave space here at NU, and I am not giving any of mine up.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Goddamit. Just finished all the financial aid stuff and what a pain in the ass.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:03 am

BAM. Finaid survey, done.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 pm

I love that in the fin aid receipt acknowledgment email they say,

"Consider this email a pat on the back!"

I had to fill out my tax return early this year and this was no easy feat for me. Man, I really hope I get something from NU. Seriously if they give me money I am there in a heartbeat.

Sadly, this is not likely to happen. Damn you, you sad sad GPA.

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:32 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Goddamit. Just finished all the financial aid stuff and what a pain in the ass.
+1 filling out the Need Access took all of one night = I didn't go to work the next day from exhaustion. I also had to call my UG to find out the total amount of grant/scholarship I got while attending since I graduated a few years ago and the person on the phone was nice enough to calculate it for me lol.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:51 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:Goddamit. Just finished all the financial aid stuff and what a pain in the ass.
+1 filling out the Need Access took all of one night = I didn't go to work the next day from exhaustion. I also had to call my UG to find out the total amount of grant/scholarship I got while attending since I graduated a few years ago and the person on the phone was nice enough to calculate it for me lol.
Oh god, there was a question about UG schoarships? Shit, I do not remember that AT ALL. :?

Okay, I reviewed my completed NeedAccess app and it only asked for aid from 2011-12. Since I graduated in 2002, I think I'm safe!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”