Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

JoeMo

Gold

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by JoeMo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:00 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Has anyone else gone out and purchased a Michigan sweatshirt? By gone out, I of course mean sitting in the comfort of your home and ordering online.
Oh My God! You're too funny, I seriously have been contemplating but didn't know if it might come off cheesy. Especially since I haven't made my seat deposit.

kl10qm

New

Post by kl10qm » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 pm

blowhard wrote:

Don't know how to tell you this...but that's not doable. The bridge to cross is known to routinely have 2-3 hour backups. The tunnel is better but at rush hour youll be in bumper-to-bumper the whole way. You're looking at 1.5 hour from detroit alone from 7a-9:30'ish and another 1.5 hour to Detroit from 4p-7p. Thats 3 hours a day not counting the bridge/tunnel or border which is another 30 minutes each way at best.

I commuted to Detroit all summer and hit only moderate traffic. Unlike every other big city, everyone leaves Detroit at rush hour and comes back at night.

Even leaving windsor at 5 am, I doubt you'll make it by 7-7:30. Then you're facing commute home. There just aren't enough hours in the day during 1/2L. Even if mapquest was accurate, you'd have another 20 min to the school from 94 and 2 hours a day isn't doable.

Edit: I'm home now so I'll elaborate more. It took me 30 minutes to get to my apt 3 miles from school, with no traffic. It took me 20-25 minutes to get to my car which is where you'd also have to park. That's 50 minuts a day before you start your commute. Add in an hour each way to Detroit, which is best case at 6 am/8pm, and you're at 3 hours a day commuting before the border crossing or your commute in Windsor. That's not sustainable. I'd be surprised if you made it across the border in less than 45 minutes. During the summer, there seemed to be constant bumper-to-bumper in the bridge/tunnel from 5a-10a or so. There is bumper-to-bumper traffic virtually the whole way from Detroit past AA (and back at night) at the times you'd be driving. Even reverse commuting it took us around an hour to Detroit, at non-rush hour times, from the highway where we met. Again, you'd have to add an hour of commuting within AA to that as well.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd have to live there but if it's cost, it'll cost more in fuel to sit in traffic that long each day than to rent an apt in AA. If it's commitments/spouse, best case is you'd leave home at 5 am and not get home until 10-11pm...every day. You could leave earlier and not read first, but then you'd have 4-5 hours of reading once you made it home. Again best case and not counting legal writing projects, needing to meet with your assigned writing group, officer hours, etc. Either way, you'd be better to stay in AA and buckle down and go home on the weekends which is when you'd have time to see anyone if you did live there.

Nor is that factoring in snow/weather. Michigan hasn't taken a snow day since the late 70s.
Thanks for the advice...yea it is a spousal reason - damn U.S. government does not recognize my marriage so my Canadian husband cannot live in the states long-term. I will have to talk with him about this, as we were thinking that I should get a place in AA for the mid-week days (like stay three nights or something in AA, the rest of the time commute). But thanks, this places things in perspective quite a bit...I'm used to the Buffalo/Niagara crossing, which I could get through in about ten minutes or so. Obviously, Windsor/Detroit is much different.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:36 pm

kl10qm wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Don't know how to tell you this...but that's not doable. The bridge to cross is known to routinely have 2-3 hour backups. The tunnel is better but at rush hour youll be in bumper-to-bumper the whole way. You're looking at 1.5 hour from detroit alone from 7a-9:30'ish and another 1.5 hour to Detroit from 4p-7p. Thats 3 hours a day not counting the bridge/tunnel or border which is another 30 minutes each way at best.

I commuted to Detroit all summer and hit only moderate traffic. Unlike every other big city, everyone leaves Detroit at rush hour and comes back at night.

Even leaving windsor at 5 am, I doubt you'll make it by 7-7:30. Then you're facing commute home. There just aren't enough hours in the day during 1/2L. Even if mapquest was accurate, you'd have another 20 min to the school from 94 and 2 hours a day isn't doable.

Edit: I'm home now so I'll elaborate more. It took me 30 minutes to get to my apt 3 miles from school, with no traffic. It took me 20-25 minutes to get to my car which is where you'd also have to park. That's 50 minuts a day before you start your commute. Add in an hour each way to Detroit, which is best case at 6 am/8pm, and you're at 3 hours a day commuting before the border crossing or your commute in Windsor. That's not sustainable. I'd be surprised if you made it across the border in less than 45 minutes. During the summer, there seemed to be constant bumper-to-bumper in the bridge/tunnel from 5a-10a or so. There is bumper-to-bumper traffic virtually the whole way from Detroit past AA (and back at night) at the times you'd be driving. Even reverse commuting it took us around an hour to Detroit, at non-rush hour times, from the highway where we met. Again, you'd have to add an hour of commuting within AA to that as well.

Also, I'm not sure why you'd have to live there but if it's cost, it'll cost more in fuel to sit in traffic that long each day than to rent an apt in AA. If it's commitments/spouse, best case is you'd leave home at 5 am and not get home until 10-11pm...every day. You could leave earlier and not read first, but then you'd have 4-5 hours of reading once you made it home. Again best case and not counting legal writing projects, needing to meet with your assigned writing group, officer hours, etc. Either way, you'd be better to stay in AA and buckle down and go home on the weekends which is when you'd have time to see anyone if you did live there.

Nor is that factoring in snow/weather. Michigan hasn't taken a snow day since the late 70s.
Thanks for the advice...yea it is a spousal reason - damn U.S. government does not recognize my marriage so my Canadian husband cannot live in the states long-term. I will have to talk with him about this, as we were thinking that I should get a place in AA for the mid-week days (like stay three nights or something in AA, the rest of the time commute). But thanks, this places things in perspective quite a bit...I'm used to the Buffalo/Niagara crossing, which I could get through in about ten minutes or so. Obviously, Windsor/Detroit is much different.
Found this: http://www.travelfreefaq.com/usa/939-dertoit-2.html

Says 60-90 minutes just to Detroit during rush hour. You can also view current tunnel conditions at http://www.dwtunnel.com/Cameras.aspx and the border at http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/. If I understand it, you'd need to add them together. One is delay to processing and one is travel time through the tunnel but I could be wrong.

The bridge is one of the worst bottlenecks on the US freeway system and the subject of a current nasty battle between the owner and the state over who gets to build another one. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/1 ... 96366.html

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:38 pm

JoeMo wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Has anyone else gone out and purchased a Michigan sweatshirt? By gone out, I of course mean sitting in the comfort of your home and ordering online.
Oh My God! You're too funny, I seriously have been contemplating but didn't know if it might come off cheesy. Especially since I haven't made my seat deposit.
Well, I haven't made the deposit, either, but the only other school I'm seriously considering at this point is Berkeley, which hasn't admitted me. Even if I do get in to Berkeley, they don't handle scholarships (for vets) like Michigan does, so it would be much more financially advantageous to attend Michigan... plus, the summer start thing is awesome.

And no, I don't think it is cheesy at all. :-)

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:46 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:the only other school I'm seriously considering at this point is Berkeley, which hasn't admitted me. Even if I do get in to Berkeley, they don't handle scholarships (for vets) like Michigan does, so it would be much more financially advantageous to attend Michigan... plus, the summer start thing is awesome.
What about Santa Clara?
ScrabbleChamp wrote: if I don't get into Stanford or Berkeley, yes, I would seriously consider SCU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MichiganBound

New

Post by MichiganBound » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Summer starter checking in! I was able to log into ASW yesterday and received my offer letter today. So excited!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Kurst wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:the only other school I'm seriously considering at this point is Berkeley, which hasn't admitted me. Even if I do get in to Berkeley, they don't handle scholarships (for vets) like Michigan does, so it would be much more financially advantageous to attend Michigan... plus, the summer start thing is awesome.
What about Santa Clara?
ScrabbleChamp wrote: if I don't get into Stanford or Berkeley, yes, I would seriously consider SCU.
After my conversation with Jeanette earlier today, I'm about 99% sure I'm not getting into SCU.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:51 pm

MichiganBound wrote:Summer starter checking in! I was able to log into ASW yesterday and received my offer letter today. So excited!
What date does it show in the ASW that your packet was mailed? I wasn't able to get into ASW until yesterday, but it shows my mail date as approx. 11/30.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:56 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
MichiganBound wrote:Summer starter checking in! I was able to log into ASW yesterday and received my offer letter today. So excited!
What date does it show in the ASW that your packet was mailed? I wasn't able to get into ASW until yesterday, but it shows my mail date as approx. 11/30.
Yesterday was 11/30.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:25 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Yesterday was 11/30.
This I know... what I was getting at is that we were both able to access ASW the same day for the first time, but he/she has already received the packet in the mail, while my "mail date" is listed as 11/30. I was wondering if he/she had an earlier mail date, or if it really showed up just a day after the ability to sign in to ASW.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:11 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
JoeMo wrote:
Well, I haven't made the deposit, either, but the only other school I'm seriously considering at this point is Berkeley, which hasn't admitted me. Even if I do get in to Berkeley, they don't handle scholarships (for vets) like Michigan does, so it would be much more financially advantageous to attend Michigan... plus, the summer start thing is awesome.

And no, I don't think it is cheesy at all. :-)
We're like twins, Berkeley was my 2nd choice as well. But at this point, I'm going to Michigan unless some other school throws the bank at me.

vellum

New

Post by vellum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I can't believe I haven't checked in here yet! It must have been a mid-excitement/celebration oversight.
UnamSanctam wrote:In via ASW today. I'm ED and in UG, so I'm going to have about 3 weeks to get from the middle of Michigan to AA. Really excited, will be checking in for apartment information.
Likewise, Unam, but if it makes you feel any better about the rush: my move is from Florida to AA. That is one drive I am not looking forward to.

Part of Dean Z's personal note was that as a 2012 grad, the summer start timeline might be difficult for me. Of course, in typically helpful form, she mentioned that she would be happy to work with me on this, though I'm not entirely sure what that entails.

Other than the short period to move, the only other problem I can imagine arising from summer start would be the potential burn out of not having a summer break. Personally, I can't imagine this being a problem. Of course, Dean Z's message seemed terribly ominous, which instilled a slimmer of doubt in my previous confidence. Either way, I'm looking forward to meeting all the Summer Starters in late May!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:16 pm

vellum wrote:I can't believe I haven't checked in here yet! It must have been a mid-excitement/celebration oversight.
UnamSanctam wrote:In via ASW today. I'm ED and in UG, so I'm going to have about 3 weeks to get from the middle of Michigan to AA. Really excited, will be checking in for apartment information.
Likewise, Unam, but if it makes you feel any better about the rush: my move is from Florida to AA. That is one drive I am not looking forward to.

Part of Dean Z's personal note was that as a 2012 grad, the summer start timeline might be difficult for me. Of course, in typically helpful form, she mentioned that she would be happy to work with me on this, though I'm not entirely sure what that entails.

Other than the short period to move, the only other problem I can imagine arising from summer start would be the potential burn out of not having a summer break. Personally, I can't imagine this being a problem. Of course, Dean Z's message seemed terribly ominous, which instilled a slimmer of doubt in my previous confidence. Either way, I'm looking forward to meeting all the Summer Starters in late May!
That means she'd move you to fall start. I'd be a little worried. I'm a fall starter and most of us were burned out by xmas, and really burned out by May. I can't imagine doing 3 consecutive semesters, let alone doing 3 after a full year of UG.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:47 pm

blowhard wrote: That means she'd move you to fall start. I'd be a little worried. I'm a fall starter and most of us were burned out by xmas, and really burned out by May. I can't imagine doing 3 consecutive semesters, let alone doing 3 after a full year of UG.
I agree. I mean, I haven't gone through it yet obviously but I can tell you that I know one thing in UG I always looked forward to was the summer so that I could enjoy a few weeks off before kicking off again. If you really are in a rush to move to AA and enjoy all Michigan has to offer would you be able to move a few weeks ahead of fall start? You'd probably still get to meet some of the summer starters ahead of starting your own classes and will get that much needed rest.

I could not even fathom getting out of UG, having 3 weeks to drive from FL to AA and then kicking off 1L. That just sounds like torture to me. Of course, if you feel you can and want to do it, even more if you'd regret not doing it after, then go for it.

vellum

New

Post by vellum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:54 pm

blowhard wrote: That means she'd move you to fall start. I'd be a little worried. I'm a fall starter and most of us were burned out by xmas, and really burned out by May. I can't imagine doing 3 consecutive semesters, let alone doing 3 after a full year of UG.
Oh really? Then perhaps tomorrow I'll call the office to discuss it.

I talked with a summer starter about it before I EDed, and their biggest recommendation was to take an easy load my last semester of UG. My course load is incredibly light next semester, just finishing up the last two courses I need to graduate, which is primarily why I thought it was do-able. There are a lot of things about summer start I believe to be beneficial: enjoying a quieter campus, adjusting to the workload/finishing a semester before fall when there are more opportunities to get involved, not to mention having first semester exams finished long before the 1L summer internship hunt.

Of course, I love Michigan, so these all could have been reasons I subconsciously created to justify giving up my summer to ED there. And if the option is available to switch, I might be better off playing it safe.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:19 pm

I'm coming straight out of UG and couldn't possibly fathom essentially going straight from UG to summer start at Mich.

SN: I think I get sadder about the Lawyer's Club not being there the more I think about it. It's just so convenient (which is much needed when it's freezing). :cry:

kl10qm

New

Post by kl10qm » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Champion wrote:I'm coming straight out of UG and couldn't possibly fathom essentially going straight from UG to summer start at Mich.
I would also not be looking forward to summer start if I was doing regular class work. I get a small little break; this semester is basically my last one, since I'm only doing an internship in the spring...no classes!! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

It Depends

New

Post by It Depends » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:29 pm

does anyone know how much dean z will care about a previous enrollment at a different law school? my general stats seem to be competitive for mich (3.7, 171), but i'm worried admissions will think it strange that i decided to not go back to the original school i enrolled in. the reason i left in the first place was legit (serious illness, doctor verified), but deciding on a new school might make me appear capricious and too much of a "risk"

thoughts? suggestions on how to write an airtight addendum?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:37 pm

It Depends wrote:does anyone know how much dean z will care about a previous enrollment at a different law school? my general stats seem to be competitive for mich (3.7, 171), but i'm worried admissions will think it strange that i decided to not go back to the original school i enrolled in. the reason i left in the first place was legit (serious illness, doctor verified), but deciding on a new school might make me appear capricious and too much of a "risk"

thoughts? suggestions on how to write an airtight addendum?
I'd explain the history and your reasons for changing schools in an addendum.

It Depends

New

Post by It Depends » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:42 pm

do you think leaving the original school will undermine my chances of acceptance, even if i give good reasons?

my concern is that the reasons are more a function of shifting priorities rather than a change in external circumstances, which might make it appear as though my decision to attend the original school was a poor judgment call. if this had happened in the distant past, i would be less concerned, but less than 4 months have elapsed since my original enrollment...

gdh

New

Post by gdh » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 pm

Checking in. Over the past month since I got the letter I've grown increasingly sure I'll be at Michigan. Can't wait to change careers with the summer start in May!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:48 pm

It Depends wrote:do you think leaving the original school will undermine my chances of acceptance, even if i give good reasons?

my concern is that the reasons are more a function of shifting priorities rather than a change in external circumstances, which might make it appear as though my decision to attend the original school was a poor judgment call. if this had happened in the distant past, i would be less concerned, but less than 4 months have elapsed since my original enrollment...
I firmly believe Dean Z takes the whole situation into consideration. Whether it'll hurt or not will depend on your reasons and how well you explain them.

Champion

Bronze

Post by Champion » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:53 pm

Anyone have any thoughts or heard anything about the Northwood Community Apartments?

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:59 am

blowhard wrote:That means she'd move you to fall start.
Seriously? They'll move ED applicants to fall start? That's nuts. I had summer classes this summer, which means my ED acceptance to Mich gives me UGJuniorFall-->UGJuniorSpring-->UGSeniorSummer-->UGSeniorFall-->UGSeniorSpring-->MichiganSummer-->MichiganFall-->MichiganSpring without a break.

Lsatfree

New

Post by Lsatfree » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:37 am

First time poster here. I was accepted via ED a few weeks ago. I will also be going to Michigan straight from UG.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”