Michigan Law Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)

Which ASW do you plan to attend?

March 15-17
34%
March 29-31
44%
Both
3%
Neither
19%

Total votes: 104

Lady in Red

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law Class of 2015

Post by Lady in Red » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:36 pm

What are the summers like in Ann Arbor? I've heard some people say they're hot and humid, and other people say they're gorgeous. Do people spend evenings outside, or are mosquitoes an issue?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:34 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Question, what did everyone wear to the alum receptions? Skirt & blouse okay?
Most people were in some combination of khakis, skirts, blouses, button down shirts, dress shoes... a few people wore suits and a few people wore jeans.

I say skirt & blouse is totally okay.

YesNoMaybe

Bronze

Post by YesNoMaybe » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Lady in Red wrote:What are the summers like in Ann Arbor? I've heard some people say they're hot and humid, and other people say they're gorgeous. Do people spend evenings outside, or are mosquitoes an issue?
It depends on the week and what you are comparing it to. I certainly wouldn't classify Ann Arbor as "humid" compared to anywhere that is actually humid but I guess it is more so than like the mountains or desert regions. It certainly isn't hot. The thing is that some weeks / few day stretches get a little warm. I think there was one week it was low 90's and one day it was 98. You certainly want a window unit A.C. at least.

I didn't have any problems staying outside evenings. In fact, since so may places don't have central A.C. it was generally more pleasant. Mosquitoes weren't a problem in AA its self but maybe outside it is worse.

But don't take my word for it! Look at pretty maps:

Average Dew Point -- http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/temp2113.pdf

Average High Temp -- http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/tmp02a13.pdf

Average Average Temp -- http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/temp0313.pdf

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:43 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:Great! Thanks guys. Anyone attending the SF reception Tuesday? (I'll be the one in a skirt & blouse haha). I'm pretty excited since I wasn't able to make it to ASW.
I wanted to go but I have to work :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 am

AreJay711 wrote:
Lady in Red wrote:What are the summers like in Ann Arbor? I've heard some people say they're hot and humid, and other people say they're gorgeous. Do people spend evenings outside, or are mosquitoes an issue?
It depends on the week and what you are comparing it to. I certainly wouldn't classify Ann Arbor as "humid" compared to anywhere that is actually humid but I guess it is more so than like the mountains or desert regions. It certainly isn't hot. The thing is that some weeks / few day stretches get a little warm. I think there was one week it was low 90's and one day it was 98. You certainly want a window unit A.C. at least.

I didn't have any problems staying outside evenings. In fact, since so may places don't have central A.C. it was generally more pleasant. Mosquitoes weren't a problem in AA its self but maybe outside it is worse.

But don't take my word for it! Look at pretty maps:

Average Dew Point -- http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/temp2113.pdf

Average High Temp -- http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/tmp02a13.pdf

Average Average Temp -- http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/climaps/temp0313.pdf
Looking at this, it looks like the averages are similar to New England which I would say is hot and humid. Perhaps not as much as Florida but there are some days in New England where the humidity is suffocating. Just as an FYI, especially since LadyInRed won't be used to any humidity whatsoever where she's from.

YesNoMaybe

Bronze

Post by YesNoMaybe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 am

Last edited by YesNoMaybe on Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:57 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Looking at this, it looks like the averages are similar to New England which I would say is hot and humid. Perhaps not as much as Florida but there are some days in New England where the humidity is suffocating. Just as an FYI, especially since LadyInRed won't be used to any humidity whatsoever where she's from.
So Michigan does get humid?

NOOOOO

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Killingly wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

NOOOOO
As humid as it is here, which as you know it's pretty humid. I mean, at least I think so.

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:02 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Killingly wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

NOOOOO
As humid as it is here, which as you know it's pretty humid. I mean, at least I think so.
I'd say NE humidity is pretty bad. Someone did tell me that Michigan's cold is just cold-cold and not the damp-cold that we get, though.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Killingly wrote: I'd say NE humidity is pretty bad. Someone did tell me that Michigan's cold is just cold-cold and not the damp-cold that we get, though.
Yeah, and also that they get about the same amount of snow as us but a little every day instead of what we get which is a huge amount every few weeks. I guess it makes it easier for them to keep the street cleans. These were the very pressing questions I asked throughout ASW.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 pm

It's super humid here today and was this way all weekend to. So yeah, it definitely gets humid here. (Except y'know, without the actual warm weather and with a bunch of thunderstorms :|).

And whoever said there is no damp-cold was lying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:55 pm

keg411 wrote:It's super humid here today and was this way all weekend to. So yeah, it definitely gets humid here. (Except y'know, without the actual warm weather and with a bunch of thunderstorms :|).

Guess we're all gonna have to cuddle up for warmth.

...just sayin.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:57 pm

keg411 wrote:It's super humid here today and was this way all weekend to. So yeah, it definitely gets humid here. (Except y'know, without the actual warm weather and with a bunch of thunderstorms :|).

I think things like "humid" and "damp-cold" are so relative that to a lot of people that haven't lived in humid climates or dry climates or damp-cold climates they have no idea what you mean when you use those terms.

Since nearly no one is from A2 then it means you get all sorts of wrong information.

It's been humid as all heck in New England over the past couple of days too so at least it won't be a huge adjustment. Although I was hoping to get a bit of spring weather in, it seems like we just sprung right into summer. Ugh!

46nyc

Bronze

Post by 46nyc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Here is how I measure the humidity and hotness issue in different parts of the country:

Where I grew up in the NE, if I straighten my hair and go outside in the summer it gets a tiny bit frizzy, but nothing horrible.

I've visited family in Ann Arbor and a Detroit suburb the past few summers and when I went outside with my hair straightened it stayed pretty perfectly frizz-free.

Where I go to school in the deep south, I can't even straighten my hair because the second I step outside it's a giant ball of frizz. And I don't even stay here from May-August.

So I would say that Ann Arbor is more humid than places like someone else mentioned in the mountains and deserts, but it is nowhere near Gulf Coast humidity and it's a little less humid than the NE.

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Sweet, looks great!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:16 pm

YesNoMaybe wrote:I'mJK ditch work & come! Are the receptions just mix & mingle or are they structured? What should we expect? I'm a little sad because I received the confirmation e-mail and Dean Z isn't listed on there. I hope she'll still be there.
I want to but I just have my two trainees and they're not quite ready for me to ditch them all night :p How far are you from SF though (pm?)

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 pm

46nyc wrote:Here is how I measure the humidity and hotness issue in different parts of the country:

Where I grew up in the NE, if I straighten my hair and go outside in the summer it gets a tiny bit frizzy, but nothing horrible.

I've visited family in Ann Arbor and a Detroit suburb the past few summers and when I went outside with my hair straightened it stayed pretty perfectly frizz-free.

Where I go to school in the deep south, I can't even straighten my hair because the second I step outside it's a giant ball of frizz. And I don't even stay here from May-August.

So I would say that Ann Arbor is more humid than places like someone else mentioned in the mountains and deserts, but it is nowhere near Gulf Coast humidity and it's a little less humid than the NE.
Yeah, it definitely less humid then Miami/the South in the summer.

I'd say generally the weather really isn't much different from the Northeast. Yesterday and today the humidity just happens to be super gross, so it was funny that this came up.

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:30 pm

If it's not east asia humid, I'm good. Don't know if I could handle several more months of that.

Lady in Red

Bronze

Post by Lady in Red » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:38 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Killingly wrote: I'd say NE humidity is pretty bad. Someone did tell me that Michigan's cold is just cold-cold and not the damp-cold that we get, though.
Yeah, and also that they get about the same amount of snow as us but a little every day instead of what we get which is a huge amount every few weeks. I guess it makes it easier for them to keep the street cleans. These were the very pressing questions I asked throughout ASW.
I'm glad it's not just me! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:21 am

Hey summer starters: The Shins are playing in Detroit on June 6th. I'm really sad I can't go. You can.

sandwiches5000

Bronze

Post by sandwiches5000 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Entchen wrote:Hey summer starters: The Shins are playing in Detroit on June 6th. I'm really sad I can't go. You can.
:( Sorry... I would have gone with you, I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee The Shinsssssss.

ALSO. Is anyone able to view their schedule or books in Wolverine Access yet? I know it's kind of premature and the schedule is up on the general website so it doesn't really matter, but I'm jwz.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:23 pm

sandwiches5000 wrote:
Entchen wrote:Hey summer starters: The Shins are playing in Detroit on June 6th. I'm really sad I can't go. You can.
:( Sorry... I would have gone with you, I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee The Shinsssssss.

ALSO. Is anyone able to view their schedule or books in Wolverine Access yet? I know it's kind of premature and the schedule is up on the general website so it doesn't really matter, but I'm jwz.
Nah brah, nothing yet.

crabcakes

Bronze

Post by crabcakes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:54 pm

anyone know where to find which address to send our official transcript to?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”