UVA Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Mr. Somebody

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2015

Post by Mr. Somebody » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Royalduck wrote:I really want to go to UVA, but not without scholarship... given them updated resume, LOCI, competitive matches, and nothing. Think I will double deposit on Monday just in case...

Do law schools give out scholarships after the deposit deadline? I know money will probably be freed up after the 30th from declines, but why would they give it to someone else who already committed with a deposit?
From what I gather scholarship money at UVA has mostly dried up this cycle. If you are not prepared to go there without a scholarship, I would not recommend double depositing as that would essentially prevent you from going anywhere else and it is unlikely you will receive any money afterwards.
Not true.

Also, you can still hustle for money after a deposit deadline. That's when a lot of money has freed up, and deposit does NOT equal commitment. But you will still need some leverage in a competing offer or there's no point

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:
Royalduck wrote:I really want to go to UVA, but not without scholarship... given them updated resume, LOCI, competitive matches, and nothing. Think I will double deposit on Monday just in case...

Do law schools give out scholarships after the deposit deadline? I know money will probably be freed up after the 30th from declines, but why would they give it to someone else who already committed with a deposit?
From what I gather scholarship money at UVA has mostly dried up this cycle. If you are not prepared to go there without a scholarship, I would not recommend double depositing as that would essentially prevent you from going anywhere else and it is unlikely you will receive any money afterwards.
Not true.

Also, you can still hustle for money after a deposit deadline. That's when a lot of money has freed up, and deposit does NOT equal commitment. But you will still need some leverage in a competing offer or there's no point
It's possible there is still some money to go around, but it's probably difficult to get at this point. Either way, make sure you're familiar with UVA's policy of revoking your admission if you have deposited at multiple schools (not sure when exactly this goes into effect, but it's about 3 weeks away).

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Well it was very nice meeting a lot of you at ASW and I would enjoy being a 1L with you, but I've decided to defer my admittance for a year and will instead be one of the founding members of the UVA Class of 2016. Looking forward to getting some work experience and saving up some money in the process. Best of luck to all of you and I'll cya in August 2013.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:35 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Well it was very nice meeting a lot of you at ASW and I would enjoy being a 1L with you, but I've decided to defer my admittance for a year and will instead be one of the founding members of the UVA Class of 2016. Looking forward to getting some work experience and saving up some money in the process. Best of luck to all of you and I'll cya in August 2013.
Sadness. You were the only person who knew who I was

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:04 am

chem wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Well it was very nice meeting a lot of you at ASW and I would enjoy being a 1L with you, but I've decided to defer my admittance for a year and will instead be one of the founding members of the UVA Class of 2016. Looking forward to getting some work experience and saving up some money in the process. Best of luck to all of you and I'll cya in August 2013.
Sadness. You were the only person who knew who I was
Haha yeah I did manage to identify the tall guy in the blue polo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PatrickChewing15

New

Post by PatrickChewing15 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Looks like the #1 QB recruit in the country last year is transferring from Alabama to Virginia and may even get a waiver to not have to sit out a year. I just get happier with my decision every day.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:37 pm

PatrickChewing15 wrote:Looks like the #1 QB recruit in the country last year is transferring from Alabama to Virginia and may even get a waiver to not have to sit out a year. I just get happier with my decision every day.
Think I just matched a name from the fb group to their TLS name. lol

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm

envisciguy wrote:
PatrickChewing15 wrote:Looks like the #1 QB recruit in the country last year is transferring from Alabama to Virginia and may even get a waiver to not have to sit out a year. I just get happier with my decision every day.
Think I just matched a name from the fb group to their TLS name. lol
Bills fans these days.

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Tue May 01, 2012 5:48 pm

Went from paying sticker to receiving a scholarship offer on the phone today. Pending Duke's scholarship offer, it looks like I'll be heading to Charlottesville this fall!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Royalduck

New

Post by Royalduck » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 pm

[quote="hobojarpen"]Went from paying st ... l![/quote]

Did you call them or did they call you? I got an additional scholarship from Georgetown today that I have to decide w/in 24hrs so I have to call UVA ASAP!

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 pm

Royalduck wrote: Did you call them or did they call you? I got an additional scholarship from Georgetown today that I have to decide w/in 24hrs so I have to call UVA ASAP!
I initiated the talk and went back-and-forth with them the last 2-3 weeks.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed May 02, 2012 12:43 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Went from paying sticker to receiving a scholarship offer on the phone today. Pending Duke's scholarship offer, it looks like I'll be heading to Charlottesville this fall!
Congrats! Hope you join us all this fall.

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Wed May 02, 2012 5:08 pm

envisciguy wrote:
hobojarpen wrote:Went from paying sticker to receiving a scholarship offer on the phone today. Pending Duke's scholarship offer, it looks like I'll be heading to Charlottesville this fall!
Got my scholarship offer from Duke. While it's more than UVA's offer, it's not substantially so. I'll need to look over everything once more, but I'll probably withdraw from Duke and go with UVA!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:02 pm

hobojarpen wrote:
envisciguy wrote:
Got my scholarship offer from Duke. While it's more than UVA's offer, it's not substantially so. I'll need to look over everything once more, but I'll probably withdraw from Duke and go with UVA!
Duke offered me an extra 2.5K/year and I went with UVA. Not sure how much more you got, but in general I think this is a fine decision. Congrats!

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Thu May 03, 2012 1:56 am

Officially closed the doors on my other options today. UVA HERE I COME!

niro5

New

Post by niro5 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Okay UVA, deposit is in. Let's do this!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Welcome niro5 and hobojarpen! Now I will try to match you to people in the facebook groups

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

niro5

New

Post by niro5 » Fri May 04, 2012 2:44 pm

chem wrote:Welcome niro5 and hobojarpen! Now I will try to match you to people in the facebook groups
I look precisely like my avatar.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sat May 05, 2012 10:09 am

niro5 wrote:
chem wrote:Welcome niro5 and hobojarpen! Now I will try to match you to people in the facebook groups
Cant be too many people who look like a bear getting punched out

niro5

New

Post by niro5 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:57 am

polkij333 wrote:
niro5 wrote:
Cant be too many people who look like a bear getting punched out
The fur is a giveaway...

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 am

I'm visiting Charlottesville this weekend with my SO, is there anything/anywhere in particular that I should show her that will get her more excited about moving to the area?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

niro5

New

Post by niro5 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Excellent117 wrote:I'm visiting Charlottesville this weekend with my SO, is there anything/anywhere in particular that I should show her that will get her more excited about moving to the area?
Walking down the downtown mall is pretty nice. We went on a Friday night and sat outside and had dinner at Bang! an Asian tapas place after checking out the school (great cocktails). Mas tapas also came highly recommended.

On Saturday morning we went back to the mall and got a little continental style breakfast at the Mud house. There is also the farmers market on Saturday which is really nice. What finally sold my wife on the area was a day of wineries. Dean Richards actually suggested a few nice wineries. We liked Kings Family winery the most. We finished up by going to Blue Mountain Brewery where we drank beer and ate like fat kids. My kind of day.

I'm heading back to C-ville Friday to look get an apartment. Afterwards we're heading to Williamsburg to stay at a bed and breakfast and check that area out.

Have fun!

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Wed May 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Excellent117 wrote:I'm visiting Charlottesville this weekend with my SO, is there anything/anywhere in particular that I should show her that will get her more excited about moving to the area?
Try the Local for dinner

bringit

New

Post by bringit » Thu May 10, 2012 3:10 pm

When visiting during ASW, my wife really liked how the school/students seem to really involve SOs in law school activities. For example, she spoke with people who said that it's not strange at all to bring a spouse or significant other to bar review or other activities with your section. A few women told her that some of their best friends are people from their husband's/boyfriend's 1st year section.

We did not get this same vibe at the couple of other schools that we visited, so you might see if the admissions office can introduce the two of you to students who are married or in long-term relationships. That'll help if she's anxious about making friends in a new place.

ringo

Bronze

Post by ringo » Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 am

I have a 1 bedroom in Ivy that I am looking to sublet. PM me if you are interested.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”