Overheard at Orientation (aka: gunner bingo) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
Pleasye

Platinum

Re: Overheard at Orientation (aka: gunner bingo)

Post by Pleasye » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:18 am

So we're in class and our gunner was raising her hand (as usual). Prof says "okay no more questions we're moving on" and she literally slammed her hand down on the table because she didn't get to ask her question. Everyone laughed.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Pleasye wrote:So we're in class and our gunner was raising her hand (as usual). Prof says "okay no more questions we're moving on" and she literally slammed her hand down on the table because she didn't get to ask her question. Everyone laughed.
I think that falls under the "raises hand and moans exasperatedly when the prof calls on someone else" square

ru2486

Bronze

Post by ru2486 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:24 pm

man where do you guys go to school? my lawl school is pretty chill, and no insanely annoying gunners (we have gunners for sure, but even after class they're generally nice and pleasant to be around).

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:31 pm

No13baby wrote:Some guy spent our whole orientation dinner sucking up to our legal writing instructor. Legal writing is ungraded at my school.
Eh.

Graded classes are going to have blind grading anyway. Yeah, some profs will tell you that class participation might bump you up or down a third of a grade, but I feel like that's rare.

As a result, whether a class is graded or ungraded, schmoozing with a prof is generally going to primarily get you a recommendation and some other networking benefits. I don't know that kissing the bum of an ungraded LW instructor is much different than doing that to a bum of a graded LW instructor, or even the bum of a full time substantive professor (a prof will have a bigger name than a LW instructor but a LW instructor will know you better... which recommendation is stronger is going to depend on circumstances).

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 am

ru2486 wrote:man where do you guys go to school? my lawl school is pretty chill, and no insanely annoying gunners (we have gunners for sure, but even after class they're generally nice and pleasant to be around).
Yeah, same here. I get the vibe that our class (and my section in particular) is full of some relatively cool cats who do self-policing, making for a really nice atmosphere.

Of course, this ultimately means that the one or two people that keep firing away will stand out like very, very sore thumbs. However, that's a small price to pay for a good school with better people.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 am

transfer gunner: at my old school, the professor, who wrote the supplement and hornbook that i recommend highly for property said that.........
prof- where'd you go?
T.G- Cooley
( you are not at cooley anymore buddy)

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Calchexas wrote:
ru2486 wrote:man where do you guys go to school? my lawl school is pretty chill, and no insanely annoying gunners (we have gunners for sure, but even after class they're generally nice and pleasant to be around).
Yeah, same here. I get the vibe that our class (and my section in particular) is full of some relatively cool cats who do self-policing, making for a really nice atmosphere.

Of course, this ultimately means that the one or two people that keep firing away will stand out like very, very sore thumbs. However, that's a small price to pay for a good school with better people.
Yeah our school is pretty chill for the most part, but there is definitely one bad apple, and a few sour ones in my section who are overly involved in EVERY class. I look at it from it as kind of an optimistic as the more they talk the less likely I will be called on.

BTW this thread ruined the phrase "where do we draw the line." Now I can't but smile a little whenever that phrase gets used.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 pm

zanzbar wrote:BTW this thread ruined the phrase "where do we draw the line." Now I can't but smile a little whenever that phrase gets used.
Which, apparently in my classes, is every time we introduce a new concept.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:34 pm

zanzbar wrote:
Calchexas wrote:

Yeah our school is pretty chill for the most part, but there is definitely one bad apple, and a few sour ones in my section who are overly involved in EVERY class. I look at it from it as kind of an optimistic as the more they talk the less likely I will be called on.

BTW this thread ruined the phrase "where do we draw the line." Now I can't but smile a little whenever that phrase gets used.
Jesus, does everyone on the on topic threads go to my school? Fucking gunners, go drink!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”