Wake Forest Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
niftykid

New

Re: Wake Forest Class of 2015

Post by niftykid » Thu May 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Thank you! I am sure I will be back asking more questions. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the House Hunt!

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Fri May 25, 2012 7:58 am

niftykid wrote:Couple questions I was hoping could be answered...

1. Does Wake allow for scholarship negotiations?
2. What is the $500 onetime payment for Tech Services?
3. What kind of computing power will I need? I am going to get a new laptop for school and wanted to know if there are specifics I should be considering. (Also this tech fee made me think that Wake may only allow certain laptops)
4. Do I need a parking pass if I drive a motorcycle?
5. If I ride my bike (either motor/bicycle) and it rains how does daily parking work on campus if I needed my car?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions ... I am sure I will have more.
2. I think that covers our printing allocation.

4. I have a friend who drives a motorcycle and I'm pretty sure he has a pass. It might be a good idea to call Parking Management to get some answers from them regarding parking.

5. You wouldn't be able to bring your car onto campus without a pass for it (they are stickers, so you couldn't swap them from your motorcycle to your car). I'm not sure what my friend does when it's raining or cold. You might also find someone who lives near you who would be willing to give you a ride when you need it. Another possibility is the shuttle. If you live in a complex where the shuttle picks up, you could just use it. If you don't, you could probably just drive/walk over, park your car, and take the shuttle. I just moved out of Crowne Park and there weren't any parking passes, so no one checks that you live there. Here's info about the shuttle: http://facilities.wfu.edu/transport/ride-the-wake/

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Fri May 25, 2012 9:02 am

MattThiessen wrote:
niftykid wrote:Couple questions I was hoping could be answered...

5. If I ride my bike (either motor/bicycle) and it rains how does daily parking work on campus if I needed my car?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions ... I am sure I will have more.
Without giving away any secrets there are places to park in the neighborhood to the east of University, it is probably closer than the church lot but if it is raining anyway, you are likely to get wet. Also, there are no light or crosswalks so the morning traffic turns it into an exciting game of frogger... nothing better to wake you up before 9AM torts.....

Also to the person with the SO who wants to live at Providence, will they be working in Winston? I had my girlfriend drop me off everyday before work and pick me up at 5 when she is done. It takes away a lot of the temptation to go home and sleep in the afternoon

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Fri May 25, 2012 9:34 am

What kind of printing allocation do we get?

And on a separate note: I'm visiting in the next few weeks. Will there be parking on campus for visitors?

Bulls

New

Post by Bulls » Fri May 25, 2012 9:50 am

Incubateus wrote:What kind of printing allocation do we get?

And on a separate note: I'm visiting in the next few weeks. Will there be parking on campus for visitors?
80 bucks a semester at .08 per page. It's been plenty for me. Yeah, you won't have problems

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Fri May 25, 2012 11:47 am

Bulls wrote:

80 bucks a semester at .08 per page. It's been plenty for me. Yeah, you won't have problems
Ditto this. I didn't even come close to using my printing allocation. And since school is out at this point, there will be plenty of parking. I assume campus is basically empty at this point...

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:02 am

MattThiessen wrote:
Bulls wrote:

Ditto this. I didn't even come close to using my printing allocation. And since school is out at this point, there will be plenty of parking. I assume campus is basically empty at this point...
The Admissions office should give you a parking pass for your visit to hang from the rear view mirror or put on your dash. There is plenty of parking. However, I just walked through campus yesterday, and they are doing something to the parking lot again. There are lots of spots, but there is fence blocking a lot of the lot, so you have to walk around the fence to get to the building. I'm not sure what they're doing to the lot though.

As for printing, you get $80 per semester. Most people don't come close to using it all, but I have. Sometimes they'll do things where you can receive extra printing money (like filling out a survey). And people are usually willing to let you borrow their ID card and use their some of their quota.

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Sat May 26, 2012 9:49 pm

MattThiessen wrote:No problem. "Protect & Serve... and answer questions in a timely manner." That's my motto.
You forgot, "& to troll."

Relientkate

Bronze

Post by Relientkate » Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 pm

niftykid wrote:?
3. What kind of computing power will I need? I am going to get a new laptop for school and wanted to know if there are specifics I should be considering. (Also this tech fee made me think that Wake may only allow certain laptops)
Okay, this is going to sound ridiculous but I have to warn you... don't get a cheap computer just because you'll only be using it for mostly word processing applications. I thought a Dell Inspirion would work, and my computer died a week before finals. Keep in mind I don't know much about computer technology, and it could have just been coincidence, but make sure that whatever computer you get can handle being on all day, because my tech said my little Inspiron was woefully inadequate for law school purposes, even though I didn't use it for anything much other than web browsing and word processing.

/end useless personal story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

daljr819

New

Post by daljr819 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:54 am

On average, how much will books cost for 1L?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 am

daljr819 wrote:On average, how much will books cost for 1L?
I spent about $430 on casebooks and other required materials (ie. rules for Contracts & CivPro, Bluebook) for the 1st semester. I got many of the books used from Amazon/Half.com. I think people who bought all books new paid closer to $1000 for the 1st semester.

2nd semester, I spent about $240 (only had to buy books for ConLaw and Property since Contracts & CivPro were the same).

Also, there is a place on WIN (Book Exchange) where you can buy books from current Wake students, so that is also an option for saving money.

daljr819

New

Post by daljr819 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:41 am

So Wake's estimation (~$2,600) for books is completely overblown?

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:48 pm

daljr819 wrote:So Wake's estimation (~$2,600) for books is completely overblown?
Yup. Tstyler is right. Sometimes you'll have bad luck and have to buy a 150 dollar+ new edition because it is the only one available. Other times your neurotic professor will hand pick and edit cases herself and upload them to TWEN. Usually though you can find decent used editions online or from other students for cheap. Also, you don't always have to buy the supplements that professors tell you to (the contracts supplement wasn't necessary because the UCC + comments is on WestLaw and I can't recall ever having to look at the supplement my 1st semester CivPro prof required.)

Also, the "required" books for LAWR were a joke. IIRC my research professor required people to buy a ~40 dollar book for the class that was never used or remotely useful. Instead of buying the book required for writing I would borrow a friend's and use the library printers' wonderful 'scan to email' function.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:40 pm

I got a present today! It's a little stand for an iPod/iPhone/MP3/Cell. It holds it up so it's easier to see. Thanks Wake!

I hope that all of those going on the House Hunt have fun (but not too much fun without me)! Wish I could be there, but I just can't afford another trip up there...

risingdragon

New

Post by risingdragon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:47 pm

ash0117 wrote:I got a present today! It's a little stand for an iPod/iPhone/MP3/Cell. It holds it up so it's easier to see. Thanks Wake!

I hope that all of those going on the House Hunt have fun (but not too much fun without me)! Wish I could be there, but I just can't afford another trip up there...
What! Do they send that by mail?

I pushed everyone including the dean in the admission office to know what is the gift. They still keep their mouths shut... :(

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:01 am

Yep, plain old USPS. In a small package. Hope you get it soon!

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 am

I'll be moving into Crowne Park on August 1st. I can't wait to get down there!

Tyson22

New

Post by Tyson22 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:29 pm

I'll probably move in around August 5th or so! I want to make sure I have time to get used to Winston before the stress of law school starts! :)

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm moving into Crowne Park on August 1st! I'll be up in W-S starting July 30th!!!!!

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Last edited by jsvaughn on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jessemllr

New

Post by jessemllr » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 pm

1A here

So who else is pumped for the semester to finally start?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”