Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
librarian21

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden Class of 2015

Post by librarian21 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:27 pm

MarcusAurelius wrote:anyone doing summer jump start?
I was one of the ones who got those Summer Jump Start emails...I'm still waiting to hear back from Drexel (I want to stay in the Philly area) but if their offer isn't good, then Rutgers Jump Start it is!

Also, is anyone considering that offer about 330 Cooper? For those that aren't aware, it's a new graduate apartment type dorm that's opening this August, looks pretty sweet. They say if you commit to living in it, you can get in-state tuition for your first year. For a PA resident like me with no scholarship offer, I'd be stupid not to take the offer, I guess. I don't know what the prices for the building are yet though...

Scottie2Hottie

New

Post by Scottie2Hottie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Last edited by Scottie2Hottie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

librarian21 wrote:
I was one of the ones who got those Summer Jump Start emails...I'm still waiting to hear back from Drexel (I want to stay in the Philly area) but if their offer isn't good, then Rutgers Jump Start it is!

Also, is anyone considering that offer about 330 Cooper? For those that aren't aware, it's a new graduate apartment type dorm that's opening this August, looks pretty sweet. They say if you commit to living in it, you can get in-state tuition for your first year. For a PA resident like me with no scholarship offer, I'd be stupid not to take the offer, I guess. I don't know what the prices for the building are yet though...
I don't mean to be rude, but going to Drexel over Rutgers is a stupid decision especially given how close Camden is to Philly and how much better Rutgers is.

SlothGoonie

New

Post by SlothGoonie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 pm

oleosmirf wrote: going to Drexel over Rutgers is a stupid decision especially given how close Camden is to Philly and how much better Rutgers is.
In terms of what? Employment statistics from both schools, if we are to take them at face value, are nearly identical.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 pm

If RU Camden indeed merges into Rowan, then Drexel will have a far better-known name in Philadelphia. I wonder how this will affect Philly job prospects in a few years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:59 pm

kaiser wrote:If RU Camden indeed merges into Rowan, then Drexel will have a far better-known name in Philadelphia. I wonder how this will affect Philly job prospects in a few years.
I'd be willing to bet merger doesn't happen at this point or at least not in its present form. Lots and lots of bad publicity and the majority of people in NJ are against it. RU-C in its current form is better then Drexel.

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:04 pm

keg411 wrote:
kaiser wrote:If RU Camden indeed merges into Rowan, then Drexel will have a far better-known name in Philadelphia. I wonder how this will affect Philly job prospects in a few years.
I'd be willing to bet merger doesn't happen at this point or at least not in its present form. Lots and lots of bad publicity and the majority of people in NJ are against it. RU-C in its current form is better then Drexel.
Exactly. Drexel's issue is not necessarily its numbers, cost of attendance, faculty, or facilities; Drexel's problem is a lack of alumni. Five or six classes in, it might have a couple hundred in total...many of whom are unemployed or underemployed as they struggle to establish themselves on their own. There are success stories out of Drexel, but it will take time to get enough alumni in the right places to help the school's employment figures. Rutgers' potential merger will not expand Drexel's alumni network. Drexel will continue to struggle for years to come, but I believe it will establish itself at some point.

For those who are following the merger, keep tabs on the daily news. There have been secret meetings between Norcross, Sweeney, McCormick, several Rutgers trustees, and other stakeholders regarding a compromise to appease the opposition from the school and other New Jersyans. South Jersey Democrats are on the line if they vote against their constituency; they want to be re-elected more than they want to satisfy Norcross or Christie. One of the major issues being discussed, according to sources, is letting the school keep its name. Essentially, it would enter into a consortium with Rowan and another local university.

Chris Christie's proclamations are not divine.

oleosmirf

New

Post by oleosmirf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:23 pm

SlothGoonie wrote:
oleosmirf wrote: going to Drexel over Rutgers is a stupid decision especially given how close Camden is to Philly and how much better Rutgers is.
In terms of what? Employment statistics from both schools, if we are to take them at face value, are nearly identical.
the most important thing. alumni!!!

udonisandtrinity

Bronze

Post by udonisandtrinity » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:59 pm

For those doing the summer jump starts and in need of a sublet, please see below:

$700/Month:@ the Victor Lofts

1) Large 1 bedroom Loft
2) private courtyard deck
3) parking included (parking area is attached to the building)
4) corner unit (less noise)
5) completely furnished

I'll throw in my outline for Contracts (I got an A).

PM me if interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SlothGoonie

New

Post by SlothGoonie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 pm

oleosmirf wrote:
It is far from my intention to have this thread devolve into a petty Rutgers vs. Drexel debate. However, when people offer up usubstantiated claims that Rutgers is far and away the better school, I am curious as to why. Citing alumni is convenient, but it's my understanding that the benefits of a large alumni base are its positive effect on employment. Drexel and Rutgers employment statistics are nearly identical, in spite of Drexel's relative lack of alumni. If there are other benefits of having a large alumni base that I am not considering, please let me know. I think both schools offer good avenues into the Philly legal market, and when deciding between the two, the main consideration should be which one costs more. Apologies for spouting off in "c/o" thread.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:12 pm

SlothGoonie wrote:
oleosmirf wrote:
It is far from my intention to have this thread devolve into a petty Rutgers vs. Drexel debate. However, when people offer up usubstantiated claims that Rutgers is far and away the better school, I am curious as to why. Citing alumni is convenient, but it's my understanding that the benefits of a large alumni base are its positive effect on employment. Drexel and Rutgers employment statistics are nearly identical, in spite of Drexel's relative lack of alumni. If there are other benefits of having a large alumni base that I am not considering, please let me know. I think both schools offer good avenues into the Philly legal market, and when deciding between the two, the main consideration should be which one costs more. Apologies for spouting off in "c/o" thread.
Because when you're talking lower ranked schools, a lot of getting a job has to do with "networking" and the people you are going to want to talk to and get to know will be people who graduated from your law school. It's also not just about having a large alumni base -- it's about having ANY alumni base at all.

Additionally, if you want to work in NJ, the best place to go (outside of a T14 and maybe BU/BC) is one of the Rutgers schools. In-state tuition is pretty low and the types of employers you will be looking at around the know and hire from Rutgers.

Also, I'd be skeptical of employment information until either school offers up the types of extremely detailed employment information that a lot of schools have started to put out -- you don't know how many people from each school are working FT/PT, in school funded positions, etc. Rutgers puts a very large portion of its student body in state clerkships which usually lead to small/midsized firm jobs on the civil side and prosecutor/PD/small firm jobs on the criminal side. A very very small (maybe 5%) get BigLaw/Federal Clerkships.

marcbyme

New

Post by marcbyme » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi all,

I'm considering Rutgers-Camden. Very excited. Thought the Dean's Day was extremely helpful. Just a note about the possible Rowan merger -- the law school itself would not be moving. That is, the physical plant. Even if the law school name changed, and I don't think it will, it wouldn't change the proximity to Philly or to the courts. Also, we would all receive Rutgers degrees, as stated earlier on this board, which I think is important. There is also talk of merging with Rutgers-Newark, creating a Penn State situation. I believe most students and administrators are also against this.

I'm also considering Seton Hall, Penn State, and Villanova. I really don't care what the rankings say (well maybe a little), I visited RU-C and loved it. US News has to sell papers. Anyone also considering these schools?

Good luck!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:37 am

marcbyme wrote:Hi all,

I'm considering Rutgers-Camden. Very excited. Thought the Dean's Day was extremely helpful. Just a note about the possible Rowan merger -- the law school itself would not be moving. That is, the physical plant. Even if the law school name changed, and I don't think it will, it wouldn't change the proximity to Philly or to the courts. Also, we would all receive Rutgers degrees, as stated earlier on this board, which I think is important. There is also talk of merging with Rutgers-Newark, creating a Penn State situation. I believe most students and administrators are also against this.

I'm also considering Seton Hall, Penn State, and Villanova. I really don't care what the rankings say (well maybe a little), I visited RU-C and loved it. US News has to sell papers. Anyone also considering these schools?

Good luck!
I was in a similar position with lucrative scholarship offers at several private law schools. Right or wrong, it came down to economics for me. I just couldn't justify paying sticker price at those schools if I lost the scholarship after the first or second year. Before you make a final decision, I would ask each school to tell you what their scholarship retention rate is. It might shock you. Most administrators scoffed at the idea or feigned ignorance when I brought it up. I walked out immediately.

If you're following the merger situation closely, state Sen. Donald Norcross (brother of South Jersey political boss George Norcross) released a new editorial yesterday that is basically confirming serious talks about a consortium compromise. According to him, the school would sever its financial ties to New Brunswick and govern itself. Let's face it...New Brunswick is sapping Camden's resources almost as horribly as Rowan would. The school would then start a series of joint programs with Rowan, but retain its identity.

Did you put in a deposit? I think yesterday was the deadline. I would talk to one of the deans today if you haven't put money down yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BEASLEYhopeful

New

Post by BEASLEYhopeful » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am

SlothGoonie wrote:
oleosmirf wrote:
As a PA native who was looking to go to law school in the Philly area, I hope I can shed some light on this discussion (as unbiased as possible). As you may have suspected from my username, Temple was my first choice; the big three for the Philly market are Temple, Villanova, and Rutgers-Camden (Penn grads usually gun for NYC and DC positions). Temple is historically ranked higher, which doesn't mean much, but also may have the strongest alumni network in Philly if that’s where you're trying to work. Alumni network DOES mean something, especially in the current job market and if you don't have family connections.

I was accepted to Rutgers while getting waitlisted at Temple, Nova, and Drexel (somewhat of a surprise). I was highly impressed by Dean's law day at Rutgers, to say the least, and after doing a walkthrough of Temple's campus later that day, I can honestly say Rutgers has a much nicer campus; it has a small college feel. It seems safer and you don't have major urban streets running through it like at TU. Also, it is literally right over the Ben Franklin Bridge, closer to Philadelphia City Hall and the Federal Courthouse than any PHILLY law school.

While the Rutgers-Rowan merger is cause for concern, don't exclude the law school only because of it. There are even some positives: IF the law school has to change its name, we will be the last class to graduate "Rutgers"-Camden, certainly to appeal to alumni. Also, our incoming class will be almost half the size as last year's, 150 compared to 290. The passion of the faculty and alumni at Rutgers can be seen in the news, but even better in person.
While some younger faculty may leave, something not uncommon for any school, it’d be hard to imagine the longstanding, nationally-leading professors at Rutgers will up and desert the School just because of some political issue.

On a personal note, I know my troubled past is why I was waitlisted at many schools. I have 2 DUIs in my past as well as a 2.8 cumulative GPA. However, Rutgers put a lot of weight this year in personal statements and evaluating each person individually. I decided to relinquish my spot on Temple’s waiting list when I realized I wouldn’t go there even if I was accepted. After enrolling at Rutgers, they even increased my scholarship.

As for Drexel, it is certainly an up-and-coming Philly Law school, and not a bad choice by any means. But as for job prospects coming out of law school, I don’t put it on the same level as Rutgers. Many Rutgers alumni do stay in NJ, but there are certainly opportunities if you’re looking to work in Philly (as I am). Certainly in private firms and even one of the Philadelphia Federal Judges is a Rutgers alum, he makes sure to give Rutgers alumni first chance at clerkships, etc. More Rutgers alumni will want to stay in NJ, so proportionately I think it evens out.

Hope this helps (I apologize for my verbosity), and to those of you joining me at Rutgers-Camden, I can’t wait to work with you this summer or fall

Mark

folletta

New

Post by folletta » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:39 pm

deleted
Last edited by folletta on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Rutgers-Camden was a serious reach for me with my low LSAT, but I was granted deferred admission to the Class of 2016, so I'm seriously considering taking the year off and attending. I'd go for free because of a state tuition waiver. Do a lot of students live in downtown Philadelphia? I don't really want to live in South Jersey, and I assume taking the PATCO is easy enough.

Villanova3

New

Post by Villanova3 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:28 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Rutgers-Camden was a serious reach for me with my low LSAT, but I was granted deferred admission to the Class of 2016, so I'm seriously considering taking the year off and attending. I'd go for free because of a state tuition waiver. Do a lot of students live in downtown Philadelphia? I don't really want to live in South Jersey, and I assume taking the PATCO is easy enough.

I'm at Nova, but have lived in Philly for a couple years and still live in the city and have friends who live in Philly and got to R-C, and friends who live at R-C and party in the city. PATCO is convenient and easy, and if you have a car, the school is literally right over the bridge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

folletta

New

Post by folletta » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:29 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:Rutgers-Camden was a serious reach for me with my low LSAT, but I was granted deferred admission to the Class of 2016, so I'm seriously considering taking the year off and attending. I'd go for free because of a state tuition waiver. Do a lot of students live in downtown Philadelphia? I don't really want to live in South Jersey, and I assume taking the PATCO is easy enough.
Only a couple of people I know live in Philly. Most live in Victor, dorms, or South Jersey. Just depends a lot on preference, but PATCO seems to be the way to go if you don't live here, so just find a place close enough to the PATCO (easier said than done, which is why I ended up going for the Victor. Way better and cheaper than the dorms if you get a roommate). I'm thinking of moving to Philly maybe 3L year, but right now don't feel like wasting time commuting that could be spent studying (as terrible as that sounds)

norm0323

New

Post by norm0323 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:39 pm

librarian21 wrote:

is this information reliable?

norm0323

New

Post by norm0323 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:39 pm

BEASLEYhopeful wrote:
SlothGoonie wrote:
oleosmirf wrote:
As a PA native who was looking to go to law school in the Philly area, I hope I can shed some light on this discussion (as unbiased as possible). As you may have suspected from my username, Temple was my first choice; the big three for the Philly market are Temple, Villanova, and Rutgers-Camden (Penn grads usually gun for NYC and DC positions). Temple is historically ranked higher, which doesn't mean much, but also may have the strongest alumni network in Philly if that’s where you're trying to work. Alumni network DOES mean something, especially in the current job market and if you don't have family connections.

I was accepted to Rutgers while getting waitlisted at Temple, Nova, and Drexel (somewhat of a surprise). I was highly impressed by Dean's law day at Rutgers, to say the least, and after doing a walkthrough of Temple's campus later that day, I can honestly say Rutgers has a much nicer campus; it has a small college feel. It seems safer and you don't have major urban streets running through it like at TU. Also, it is literally right over the Ben Franklin Bridge, closer to Philadelphia City Hall and the Federal Courthouse than any PHILLY law school.

While the Rutgers-Rowan merger is cause for concern, don't exclude the law school only because of it. There are even some positives: IF the law school has to change its name, we will be the last class to graduate "Rutgers"-Camden, certainly to appeal to alumni. Also, our incoming class will be almost half the size as last year's, 150 compared to 290. The passion of the faculty and alumni at Rutgers can be seen in the news, but even better in person.
While some younger faculty may leave, something not uncommon for any school, it’d be hard to imagine the longstanding, nationally-leading professors at Rutgers will up and desert the School just because of some political issue.

On a personal note, I know my troubled past is why I was waitlisted at many schools. I have 2 DUIs in my past as well as a 2.8 cumulative GPA. However, Rutgers put a lot of weight this year in personal statements and evaluating each person individually. I decided to relinquish my spot on Temple’s waiting list when I realized I wouldn’t go there even if I was accepted. After enrolling at Rutgers, they even increased my scholarship.

As for Drexel, it is certainly an up-and-coming Philly Law school, and not a bad choice by any means. But as for job prospects coming out of law school, I don’t put it on the same level as Rutgers. Many Rutgers alumni do stay in NJ, but there are certainly opportunities if you’re looking to work in Philly (as I am). Certainly in private firms and even one of the Philadelphia Federal Judges is a Rutgers alum, he makes sure to give Rutgers alumni first chance at clerkships, etc. More Rutgers alumni will want to stay in NJ, so proportionately I think it evens out.

Hope this helps (I apologize for my verbosity), and to those of you joining me at Rutgers-Camden, I can’t wait to work with you this summer or fall

Mark
this was endlessly helpful. thanks mark, see you in the fall!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 am

norm0323 wrote:
librarian21 wrote:

is this information reliable?
Yes, but its a half-truth to pitch their new apartments to grad students. I ended up taking the offer; 330 Cooper is a little cheaper than The Victor, fully furnished, and brand new. However, if you sign a 12 month lease anywhere in NJ before July they'll give you instate for 1L. Just talk to admissions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 am

So how's finals going?

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:19 am

i'm just glad i was able to properly apply my twomblys and my iqbals

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 pm

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but would any of you have or be able to send me pictures of the new 330 Cooper Grad Housing apartments.

There are no pictures on their site, only a 3D rendered virtual tour which is basically useless. I cant even find any pictures on google or TLS.

Very interested in the 1br 1ba and would like to see a few shots if possible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”