Houston 2015 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2015)
arabon66

New

Re: Houston 2015

Post by arabon66 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:29 am

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone got an email or an update on peoplesoft about their class schedules yet

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:38 am

libdemjenn wrote:
Titleist wrote:As far as I know they have not asked us to send final transcripts? I don't believe it is assumed that we have to send them either.
I am fairly certain you will need to have your final transcript in at some point during the first semeseter. It wouldn't hurt to get that knocked out now.

On a similar note, you will be required to fill out the Declaration of Intention to Study Law during your first semester. It must be submitted to the Board of Law Examiners by October 1st, and the filing fee is $190. I tell you this so that you can start gathering the information before school starts. It could take quite a bit of time (time you don't have as a 1L) to gather all the information required. For example, I had to request a certified copy of my birth certificate to mail in with the paperwork. I was born in Houston, yet it took several weeks nad phone calls to receive a copy of it in the mail. You might need to request court documents, etc. Here is a link to the paper applicaton: --LinkRemoved--. They also ask for six references, but you can't use relatives, law students, or former employers. You will be able to fill out the application online and save it as you gather information. Do not turn in the application before school starts. The school will help you arrange fingerprinting on campus. Someone from the BLE will talk to you about this at orientation. They will scare the shit out of you, so I strongly encourage you to take a look at the form this summer.

*This is a PSA. Sorry if someone has already mentionted it.
QFNP - I'm going to want to find this later, and it's good info.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:41 am

arabon66 wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone got an email or an update on peoplesoft about their class schedules yet
No, but it's got to be coming soon. Last year they got theirs on July 20th. I check MyUH every day or so for an update. Need to start ordering books for classes, but can't start until you know what section you're in.

Last years thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=125

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:59 am

sjwest, the schedule and books are posted for part time students. You won't know which Lawyering Skills and Strategies (whatever the hell that is) professor you have, but three of the books are used in both classes.

I am a 2L in the part time program. Let me know if you any questions.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:08 pm

I think Lawyering Skills & Strategies is the new amped up LRW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Is there a place to buy all our books on campus? I'm not a fan of buying used books online because I'm too ADHD to read past what people have already highlighted.

zanzbar

Bronze

Post by zanzbar » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:14 pm

For that law class I took at Tech's law school last year I got the books off of Amazon brand new at a reduced price, I would just say to ensure you get the proper version of each book just copy and paste the ISBN number in.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:19 pm

brose wrote:I think Lawyering Skills & Strategies is the new amped up LRW.
Yea, its how they're getting more tuition money out of us. It's 3 CR instead of 2 :roll: Not but really I'm curious how different it will be.
Titleist wrote:Is there a place to buy all our books on campus? I'm not a fan of buying used books online because I'm too ADHD to read past what people have already highlighted.
I can't deal with other people's hi-lighting either, so I sift through used books until I find one that explicitly says "No hi-lighting or writing on pages."

Found some pretty good deals so far. Unfortunately, some books are new editions for this year. Ouch.

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Titleist wrote:Is there a place to buy all our books on campus? I'm not a fan of buying used books online because I'm too ADHD to read past what people have already highlighted.
The law school bookstore is at the Lofts, which is across the parking lot from the law school. I purchased all my books there at orientation last year. However, they did not have all the books available brand new.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm

We will not have our loan money by the time we need to buy our books, correct?

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 pm

That is correct. The school offers $300 emergency loans. I am pretty sure they are available to incoming students. Laura Neal is probably the person to ask. If your Civ Pro professor requires that you purchase the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, you can wait until after class starts. The rules are online. You won't need all (maybe any) of your LSS books the first week.

This is the emergency loan information from the UHLC website:
Law Center Emergency Loan: Available for short-term financial problems students may have. Maximum amount is $300. No interest is due, but must be repaid in 30 days. Applications are available at the Law Center Student Services reception desk.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:37 am

Get them off Amazon - they have brand new books on there and many people sell "like new" books under the used section. They're WAY cheaper than the bookstore.

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:40 am

I emailed Laura Neal about these a couple days. The $300 emergency loans are through the law school and I was told would be available at orientation. We should have a check in hand by the Aug 21-23. The University of Houston also offers a "book loan" of $405 available through peoplesoft starting 8/1. We will only be able to use these at the book store. More information here http://www.uh.edu/financial/payment/plans/.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am

libdemjenn wrote:That is correct. The school offers $300 emergency loans. I am pretty sure they are available to incoming students. Laura Neal is probably the person to ask. If your Civ Pro professor requires that you purchase the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, you can wait until after class starts. The rules are online. You won't need all (maybe any) of your LSS books the first week.

Law Center Emergency Loan: Available for short-term financial problems students may have. Maximum amount is $300. No interest is due, but must be repaid in 30 days. Applications are available at the Law Center Student Services reception desk.
I'm curious about what books I'll need for the first week before financial aide and loans are disbursed. What is LSS? Do you think I could get by only spending $500 before classes start on books?

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:06 pm

dsb83 wrote:
libdemjenn wrote:That is correct. The school offers $300 emergency loans. I am pretty sure they are available to incoming students. Laura Neal is probably the person to ask. If your Civ Pro professor requires that you purchase the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, you can wait until after class starts. The rules are online. You won't need all (maybe any) of your LSS books the first week.

I'm curious about what books I'll need for the first week before financial aide and loans are disbursed. What is LSS? Do you think I could get by only spending $500 before classes start on books?
Depends on where you buy. I've spent about 250 on books, and I have almost every single one I need (Part time is only one section, so I know my profs for most of my classes). You have one more class than me, but if you buy used and smart (and don't have to buy too many new editions), you should be able to get out for less than 500.

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm

dsb83 wrote:I'm curious about what books I'll need for the first week before financial aide and loans are disbursed. What is LSS? Do you think I could get by only spending $500 before classes start on books?
Yes, I think you will be able to make do with $500. You will know your section soon, and you should be able to see the reading assignments for the first week. If your professor requires a course supplement (Hoffman Civ Pro comes to mind), it will be available at the copy center, and you will be able to pick it up on Friday during your orientation. The cost will be significantly less than a casebook. Keep an eye out for other potential expenses before school starts. Parking is one that comes to mind. You can add it to your fee bill, but I am not sure if they will mail it out before it is paid.

LSS is the Lawyering Skills course. We took Legal Research and Writing (LRW), which was a two hour course taken both semesters. We had multiple writing assigments and citation exercises. Both semesters our final grade consisted of a writing assigment worth 80% of the grade and a multiple choice test worth 20% of the grade. It looks like your course is three hours for one semester, so I am a little jealous you have to endure only one semester. I'm not sure how it will be different, but you won't need all the books in the first week.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm

libdemjenn wrote:
dsb83 wrote:I'm curious about what books I'll need for the first week before financial aide and loans are disbursed. What is LSS? Do you think I could get by only spending $500 before classes start on books?
Yes, I think you will be able to make do with $500. You will know your section soon, and you should be able to see the reading assignments for the first week. If your professor requires a course supplement (Hoffman Civ Pro comes to mind), it will be available at the copy center, and you will be able to pick it up on Friday during your orientation. The cost will be significantly less than a casebook. Keep an eye out for other potential expenses before school starts. Parking is one that comes to mind. You can add it to your fee bill, but I am not sure if they will mail it out before it is paid.

LSS is the Lawyering Skills course. We took Legal Research and Writing (LRW), which was a two hour course taken both semesters. We had multiple writing assigments and citation exercises. Both semesters our final grade consisted of a writing assigment worth 80% of the grade and a multiple choice test worth 20% of the grade. It looks like your course is three hours for one semester, so I am a little jealous you have to endure only one semester. I'm not sure how it will be different, but you won't need all the books in the first week.
Oh no, we still get it for 2 semesters. This semester is 3 hours, next semester is 2 hours.

One could only dream right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Then my bitterness is unwarranted. That class is a beating, but at least it was only one night a week. I hope they find a way to spice it up for the PT students. Professor Simpson brings candy and fresh baked cookies to class, so that's something.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm

YAY! 2/3 chances I get her for LSS!

Since it's a tangent, anyone else on here in the Part Time section?

kiwi4president

Bronze

Post by kiwi4president » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:12 pm

Off topic but I'm going to be in las Vegas during the orientation. I could definitely cancel the trip if orientation is that important. I called admissions and they said I could miss it if I had a reasonable excuse. They said Vegas was reasonable haha... Anyway am I missing too much by skipping the orientation or should I just go to Vegas and have a good time?

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm

kiwi4president wrote: should I just go to Vegas and have a good time?
Depends on how good of a gambler you are.

Go, count cards, win big, and ditch the law school thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dsb83

Bronze

Post by dsb83 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm an incoming student too but I think you'd be okay missing orientation. Just make a point to have all your ducks in a row and be pro-active about seeking out necessary information before and after. How well do you think you know what to expect in the fall? I think this would be the biggest benefit besides meeting classmates, faculty and ensuring all the administrative stuff is done.

On LSS, how do you go about balancing it with the substantive courses? I know the class has substantial benefit, but I could see myself dismissing it somewhat and my grade suffering. Any advice on that?

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:55 pm

I would go to Vegas. Orientation isn't horrible, but it's not terribly informative. I was happy to meet some of my future classmates, and that helped alleviate some of the first day jitters. However, the bulk of the information will be in the orientation packet, which you should make a point to pick up first thing when you return. Also, you will have a mentor who should be able to answer any questions you have. I am assuming you will have to do a timed writing sample on the second day of your orientation. If that's still the case, make sure you schedule a time to do that, so that you can get it out of the way.

sjwest

Bronze

Post by sjwest » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:02 pm

libdemjenn wrote:timed writing sample on the second day of your orientation
What? Oh boo. What is this for?

libdemjenn

New

Post by libdemjenn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 pm

sjwest wrote:
libdemjenn wrote:timed writing sample on the second day of your orientation
What? Oh boo. What is this for?
We turned in two writing samples before classes started. One writing sample was timed, and it was completed on the second day of orientation. The other was given to us at orientation, and we submitted it by email before class started, I think. They were both short and easy to do. The samples are read by the writing center, and they determine if you need additional writing assistance. I think there are three potential results: (1) You're awesome; (2) We suggest you come to the writing center; and (3) You are required to go to tutoring at the writing center. I have never talked to someone who admitted to being in category three.

This brings up something else. Assuming incoming 1Ls will have to do the writing sample at orientation, you will be expected to do it on your own laptop using Word or something similar. If you plan on purchasing a new laptop, I would have it purchased by orientation. You can buy Microsoft Office from the campus computer store for less than $20 once you have your student ID number. http://www.cougarbyte.com/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2015 Forum”