Law School Legends vs. Sum and Substance

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which audio series is overall the best?

Law School Legends
17%
Sum and Substance
17%
They're just companies, it depends entirely on the subject
67%

Total votes: 24

geoffree

Law School Legends vs. Sum and Substance

Postby geoffree » Sun May 03, 2009 9:31 pm

Anyone who has experience with these want to pipe up with a preference? Or is it the case, as I imagine, that it all depends on the prof? If so, which one (LSL or S&S) for which subject?

Just as a heads up, I'm an 0L. Please don't flame me for posting in the forum for Law School Students :mrgreen:

upgrade

Re: Law School Legends vs. Sum and Substance

Postby upgrade » Mon May 04, 2009 12:24 am

It depends heavily on your prof and the prof on the CDs. My property prof has what seems to be a unique approach, the S&S CDs are pretty much worthless for that class. Even without my unique prof, there is a lot of useless stuff in the property S&S. The Ks and Crim Law S&S are decent. The Civ Pro S&S is really good and fairly entertaining listening.

Bezerkley

Postby Bezerkley » Mon May 04, 2009 9:52 am

I have used 3 of the Sum and Substance CD series.

Con Law was the worst of the 3. It was a good overview but because of the nature of the subject it is hard to really prepare you for an exam through a lecture series.

Civ Pro and Evidence were both outstanding. I could have skipped every class, listened to those CDs and done fairly well (as well as I typically do) on the exams.

Dacos

Postby Dacos » Wed May 06, 2009 2:53 pm

bump.

I'm interested in this "Law School Legends" audio that I've been hearing about lately. Has anyone here used it or know someone that has? Was it worth it?

belligerentfuture

Postby belligerentfuture » Mon May 11, 2009 6:50 am

Is there anything else out there that is decent besides LSL and S/S? I ask not because I think lots of audio lectures is going to replace case books etc, but because I am contemplating commuting 1.5 hrs each way (3 round trip) next year (1L) and that's a lot of time to spend listening to NPR....

It seems like the S/S ones are about 5 hours....which would be maybe 4 days of commuting...if I listened to it twice....

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Mon May 11, 2009 7:59 am

That's an insane commute for law school. Especially come exam time or whenever you have a memo due you're going to want to kill yourself.

belligerentfuture

Postby belligerentfuture » Wed May 13, 2009 4:36 pm

awesomepossum wrote:That's an insane commute for law school. Especially come exam time or whenever you have a memo due you're going to want to kill yourself.

Well, I have people I can stay with when necessary (i.e. finals, etc), but on a long-term basis it's gonna be the commuting. So, any former commuters have any audio suggestions??

laxgirl37

Postby laxgirl37 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:51 pm

S&S Crim Law is excellent, but the K is only fair (the professor's voice is quite terrible). LSL civ pro kinda made me want to drive into incoming traffic- i've never heard anyone quite so excited about the subject as that professor!

Publius39

Postby Publius39 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:09 pm

laxgirl37 wrote:S&S Crim Law is excellent, but the K is only fair (the professor's voice is quite terrible). LSL civ pro kinda made me want to drive into incoming traffic- i've never heard anyone quite so excited about the subject as that professor!

Try S&S Civ Pro. Arthur Miller teaches it at Harvard and his examples are very good. It's still a little difficult to understand, but he makes things managable.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”