Explain to a 0L how the law school curve works? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nagster5

Silver

Re: Explain to a 0L how the law school curve works?

Post by Nagster5 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:30 am

IWantT6 wrote:I'm confused as to how this works into class rank. Let's say there are 5 sections. Does each section have its own curve? If so, how is rank determined? If the top student in each section got an A, how would it be determined who is #1 v. #5?
Generally people take more than one class

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:35 am

Nagster5 wrote:
IWantT6 wrote:I'm confused as to how this works into class rank. Let's say there are 5 sections. Does each section have its own curve? If so, how is rank determined? If the top student in each section got an A, how would it be determined who is #1 v. #5?
:lol:

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 am

Nagster5 wrote:
Cute, but their question actually makes more sense than that.

If I'm at a school with five sections, and each section takes the same core classes (some with different teachers, etc.), how does the overall class curve work out? Are class grades curved to the section and are all the data aggregated into a larger class curve? Or is there just a class-wide curve?

People taking more than one class is irrelevant if the top students in each section are all getting A's in each of their classes.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:41 am

Each section is graded independently, but they all apply the same curve (10% As, 20% A-s, etc.) for the individual section.

with the curve I just gave, let's say there's 100 kids in each section, and let's say 10 people in each section got an A in all their classes, then getting all As would put you in the top 10%
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:26 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Each section is graded independently, but they all apply the same curve (10% As, 20% A-s, etc.) for the individual section.

with the curve I just gave, let's say there's 100 kids in each section, and let's say 10 people in each section got an A in all their classes, then getting all As would put you in the top 10%
Obviously you didn't read the question. In that scenario, the most important question is: "who would be number 1?" :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IWantT6

New

Post by IWantT6 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:58 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

If I'm at a school with five sections, and each section takes the same core classes (some with different teachers, etc.), how does the overall class curve work out? Are class grades curved to the section and are all the data aggregated into a larger class curve? Or is there just a class-wide curve?

People taking more than one class is irrelevant if the top students in each section are all getting A's in each of their classes.
Exactly.
lymenheimer wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

Obviously you didn't read the question. In that scenario, the most important question is: "who would be number 1?" :roll:
+1

So I'm guessing that there is no way to differentiate between 1-5 if everyone has all A's, you would just be classified as top X%?

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:05 am

IWantT6 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Nagster5 wrote:

Exactly.
lymenheimer wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

+1

So I'm guessing that there is no way to differentiate between 1-5 if everyone has all A's, you would just be classified as top X%?
At least at the schools I know, if you are tied then you do it like law school rankings. So if the first three people are tied, they are all listed as #1. Then the 4th person is 4. This is also a huge assumption that the same people will get universally the same grade in each class. There's definitely a chance, but the odds of this happening is lower than 0Ls tend to think.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:24 am

The person with the highest GPA is #1

Hope this helps!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:07 pm

KD35 wrote:At least at the schools I know, if you are tied then you do it like law school rankings. So if the first three people are tied, they are all listed as #1. Then the 4th person is 4. This is also a huge assumption that the same people will get universally the same grade in each class. There's definitely a chance, but the odds of this happening is lower than 0Ls tend to think.
Exactly this. There is enough randomness in people's grades for there to not be many ties, but it definitely happens (amusingly, I was exactly tied for GPA with another student after my first year).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”