Should I drop out Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sempermedusa

New

Should I drop out

Post by sempermedusa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:55 am

I am a 2L at a T-14. I have a sizable scholarship, but it doesn't cover everything and I still have huge student loan debt. My grades during 1L were abysmal, in the bottom 25% of my class, and I did really terrible in legal writing. Worst of all, I really hate law school and I don't really want to be a lawyer. Midway through my first semester I realized I'd rather go into business but I was afraid to be a quitter so I kept going, and now it's almost the end of my second semester of 2L, and I feel really stupid. My first semester was very good, but I doubt it will be this semester. More importantly, however, I was unable to find a legal 2L summer associateship. Part of this is of course because of my poor performance, but part of this issue is also because I recently founded a tech company. This summer I plan to work on this venture full time in lieu of a traditional legal associateship. The company is currently pre-revenue and pre-investment, so it cannot support me yet. Also, since my company is heavily involved in academia, I want to maintain relations with my school. If I stay in school then I have another year of financial security and access to my school's resources for startups and I'll have a JD so I can do something (maybe) if my business fails, but I'll have even more crippling debt, and I might never qualify for a legal job because I really really suck at it and I feel like I'm wasting money. Should I drop out?

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Re: Should I drop out

Post by BeeTeeZ » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:04 pm

sempermedusa wrote:I really hate law school and I don't really want to be a lawyer...Should I drop out?
Yes.

brorepresentation1

New

Re: Should I drop out

Post by brorepresentation1 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:02 am

It may be best for you to drop out.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”