What is the write-on like at your school?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
malleus discentium

What is the write-on like at your school?

Postby malleus discentium » Thu May 21, 2015 3:54 pm

I thought they were pretty much all the same but I'm learning that they are widely divergent, so I'm curious.

At HLS, we get a 20 page article to check the citations for and to edit. Then we write a ~20 page comment on a recent SCOTUS/COA decision. We have a week to do it and do it wherever we want. (This is atypical and probably a lie.)

Winter is Coming

Re: What is the write-on like at your school?

Postby Winter is Coming » Thu May 21, 2015 4:18 pm

10 days to cite check and edit the worst 12 pages of writing I've ever seen. Write a 7 page note (7 of endnotes). Whole process has turned me off of doing anytype of journal.

Posner's article about how ridiculous the bluebook is spot on. Theres no need for a uniform system of citation across publications, especially when the "rules" are so ambiguous you assure disunity in the first place.

Things like "the rule of 5" and the abbreviations of things are the reasons why people hate lawyers.

Honestly, I know I'm being a bit of a baby, but this was by far my least favorite part of law school, would have rather taken two more finals. I like law school, but most legal "scholarship" is just mind-numbingly ridiculous.

/rant. Going on a bender under work starts Tuesday.

Postby BVest » Thu May 21, 2015 7:37 pm

I did two.

SMU: Three Parts. Part One: Editing exercise consisting of 3 4-page excerpts from law journal articles of different sorts (one general, one international, one technical); edit the articles using standard editing marks and keep log of all bluebooking edits, including rule. Part Two: Bluebooking exercise, consisting of 15 sources (wide range) for which you had to produce full citations in proper form (although not really proper form because they required that you underline rather than italicize and bold rather than small-cap). Part Three: In a three-case closed universe where one case is primary and two others are related, write brief (5 page) case note (printouts of the cases were provided and honor code prohibited you from reviewing them online or any other material). 96 hour time limit (Thurs( 6 days after finals finish)-Mon 9 AM).

UT: 120-page closed-universe packet of excerpts from cases, LR articles, treatises, news stories, reports, novels, non-fiction books, etc., as well as random quotations and more (you're also allowed to consult the constitution, but that's the only permissible outside research). Write something. Max 8 pages. No question presented. Two weeks starting as on the Friday finals finish.

Postby JamesClarson » Fri May 22, 2015 8:44 am

Hi! I also did two. But I used writing services, because I havent much time for this. So, good luck to you!
Last edited by JamesClarson on Fri May 22, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby nothingtosee » Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 am

JamesClarson wrote:Hi! I also did two. But I used: https://spamspam.com/spam/, because I havent much time for this. So, good luck to you!

Thanks, James!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”