Post removed. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by Nekrowizard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:49 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tww909

Bronze

Re: 4.0 at CCN. Transfer?

Post by tww909 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:02 am

S offers need based aid to transfers.

We had one guy in my transfer class at S from a similar position. Things turned out like you'd expect for someone with a 4.0 from CCN, great firm in desirable market, prestigious district followed by COA clerkships, etc. Plus he got to live in California for the rest of law school (and maybe got more aid for all I know).

I think it's a fine idea since it sounds like you don't mind the move and wouldn't be giving up a lot of money.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:51 am

First, congrats on doing so well first semester. Above all, try to replicate your success in the spring. As for whether you should transfer, I agree with a lot of what was said above. You could get need-based from HS and I *think* Y but I'm not 100%. I know there were 1-2 from CLS who transferred last year so it def. happens. The only thing you'd get is long-term prestige with HYS, but I think saying you were top 5% at CCN is better than HYS. You have the exact same immediate opportunities, if not better. If you want to clerk, you will have to hustle during 2L/3L to build those connections w/ professors. But without a long-term goal in mind that you feel like you can't get from CCN top 5% (do those even exist?) I would say don't transfer.

Longtimecoming19

Bronze

Post by Longtimecoming19 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:07 pm

With your numbers at CCN, you'll obviously be fine if you stay. I do think it would be worth it to transfer, though, especially if your gut is telling you that you'd like to. Someone below noted that saying you're top 5% at CCN is better than saying you're at YHS, but (assuming your second-semester grades hold up, of course), you'll still be able to say that you were top 5% at CCN during your 1L year. Moreover, you don't know if your grades will hold up over the next 2.5 years - you could slack off during 2L or 3L and then won't be able to say you were top 5% at CCN. If you transfer after your first year, you'll have your top 5% status securely frozen, basically.

Also, YLS does do need-based aid; I know several YLS transfer students who got way more in need-based aid than they were getting at their old schools.

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:14 pm

if you can get Y it would probably be worth it due to COAP and the ability to pursue non biglaw outcomes

if you're just moving to H (without personal reasons) I'd probably laugh at you

talk to people who were high honors pervious years and see what they did/how things turned out

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:20 pm

Ensure you keep those grades up, OP. I had at 4.0 at CCN first semester. Then I got like a 3.4 second semester.

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by Nekrowizard » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Nekrowizard wrote:Was there anything you did differently? I don't feel like I was super busy during the fall, but I suppose everybody's probably gunning a little harder now.
Nope. Probably should've gunned harder myself.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Congrats OP. Apply to HYS and then consider the options. You're in an amazing position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”