Corp Tax

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crit_racer

Corp Tax

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

Anyone taken this? At my school, it seems pretty brutal. Material is hard, and the class is filled with top students who are going to big firms. It basically seems like the "Fed Courts" of the transactional world.

Anyways, should I stick it out or drop it for something easy? I want to learn the info and might want to practice tax, but I'm worried about taking a hit to the GPA. I'm a 3L w/ a full-time offer at biglaw. Also, my grades are exactly the same after they were 1L year (top 10%) if that matters.

Re: Corp Tax

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 am

GPA being impacted by one class shouldn't be a big concern at all. Tax is likely one of the few things you can't just jump into in the summer blind and come out fine so if you are legitimately interested in it as a practice area you should probably stick it out. The corp tax reputation at my school is similar by the way but from what I hear everyone in there is overwhelmed so it should all be equal you would think.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Yeah i definitely think I should take at least one advanced tax class if I'm gonna try to get into that practice group this fall. Doesn't seem like you can BS it as easily as other areas. Man this shit is hard though! Anyone who doesn't wanna practice tax...stay away!

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 pm

It feels really hard at first, but with more familiarity, by the end of the class (with hard work obviously), you will have wrapped your head around it and it will get easier.

Basically, there is just a greater barrier to entry for understanding than there is for other classes (in which a high schooler could understand what was going on for the most part).

tonidee

Postby tonidee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:53 pm

I am taking Corp Tax this semester, too. I'd say stick with it and do the problems assigned.

narfkarta

Postby narfkarta » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:58 am

Get the Black Letter Outline, LATHROPE AND SCHWARTZ' CORPORATE AND PARTNERSHIP TAXATION. This is the best supplement, even better than the E&E.

Use this to learn the material and outline. No need to read the textbook or the E&E.

Then use the E&E to do practice problems.

This method got me an A-.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Last edited by thegrayman on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:16 am

Did you do tax work over the summer? How do you know you might want to do tax? It's just a little odd that it's still a 'might' at this point, post-SA and in your last semester. You should probably take some tax classes to make sure you actually want tax.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:45 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Did you do tax work over the summer? How do you know you might want to do tax? It's just a little odd that it's still a 'might' at this point, post-SA and in your last semester. You should probably take some tax classes to make sure you actually want tax.

yeah i did tax work over the summer, but my firm doesn't give offers for specific groups or assign you to a specific group when you accept. So it kind of depends if they end up needing people in the fall.

Decided to stick it out. Bought the black letter outline. Here goes nothin

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”