Dealing with a crush in Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Connor Benz

Dealing with a crush in Law School

Postby Connor Benz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:46 pm

Every one knows 1L life is crazy and the last thing you want to be is distracted. However, I have developed a crush on a girl that sits next me in my Civil Procedure class. I need to focus and it does not help that she is in my section. So in other classes, I sometimes find myself staring at her :shock: The unfortunate thing is she really does not talk to me because she probably thinks I'm an idiot. Has anyone else dealt with a crush in law school? I don't know if I have the time and energy to try to get her to like me haha.

LeDique

Re: Dealing with a crush in Law School

Postby LeDique » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Offer to carry her books.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Wtf is this?

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:19 am

TCR is a note, passed by a friend, containing the line "check yes or no."

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 am

First: don't shit where you eat. Dating girls you go to law school with is a recipe for an awkward break-up, where you still get to see the person for what seems like forever. Dating a girl that sits next to you in class is adding a multiplier of ten.

Second: Are you 12?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 am

Send her a note. Since it is CivPro, send a complaint to her discussing your love for her. If she responds with a 12(b)(6) motion, sorry bud.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:37 am

zworykin wrote:TCR is a note, passed by a friend, containing the line "check yes,no, or it depends."

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:38 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:Second: Are you 12?

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:53 am

Icculus wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Second: Are you 12?

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:First: don't shit where you eat. Dating girls you go to law school with is a recipe for an awkward break-up, where you still get to see the person for what seems like forever. Dating a girl that sits next to you in class is adding a multiplier of ten.

I don't agree with this! I know at least four associates who met their wives/husbands in their 1L section. :)

Nightrunner

Postby Nightrunner » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:04 am

Connor Benz wrote:Every one knows 1L life is crazy and the last thing you want to be is distracted. However, I have developed a crush on a girl that sits next me in my Civil Procedure class. I need to focus and it does not help that she is in my section. So in other classes, I sometimes find myself staring at her :shock: The unfortunate thing is she really does not talk to me because she probably thinks I'm an idiot. Has anyone else dealt with a crush in law school? I don't know if I have the time and energy to try to get her to like me haha.

I always went with the "meet her at bar review and have sex with her" plan. It wasn't flawless, but it worked a lot more than it probably should have.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:07 am

Nightrunner wrote:
Connor Benz wrote:Every one knows 1L life is crazy and the last thing you want to be is distracted. However, I have developed a crush on a girl that sits next me in my Civil Procedure class. I need to focus and it does not help that she is in my section. So in other classes, I sometimes find myself staring at her :shock: The unfortunate thing is she really does not talk to me because she probably thinks I'm an idiot. Has anyone else dealt with a crush in law school? I don't know if I have the time and energy to try to get her to like me haha.

I always went with the "meet her at bar review and have sex with her" plan. It wasn't flawless, but it worked a lot more than it probably should have.

This. If you're going to do it, might as well as do it right, rather than stare at her in class/feel butterflies,see rainbows/post on TLS about it. Personally, I wouldn't do it because there are other women who won't make your relationship with fellow law students awkward. If you end up going out with her and breaking up and you have mutual friends, you are DUNZO.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 am

goldeneye wrote:Send her a note. Since it is CivPro, send a complaint to her discussing your love for her. If she responds with a 12(b)(6) motion, sorry bud.

A motion for joinder is the credited response in this situation.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:52 am

goldeneye wrote:Send her a note. Since it is CivPro, send a complaint to her discussing your love for her. If she responds with a 12(b)(6) motion, sorry bud.

TCR

lmr

Postby lmr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:19 am

Okay, well if this is genuinely a problem I'd change seats. Sit in the front or somewhere you can't see her. I get you may have assigned seating but just ask to switch w someone or look for an empty seat that you can takeover. Or you could maybe just start talking to her like a normal classmate/may demystify her and you'll be able to relax. You'll be dealing w attractive women throughout your career, you need to learn to be professional about it.

realized you are a flame..
Last edited by lmr on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:22 am

NYC2012 wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:First: don't shit where you eat. Dating girls you go to law school with is a recipe for an awkward break-up, where you still get to see the person for what seems like forever. Dating a girl that sits next to you in class is adding a multiplier of ten.

I don't agree with this! I know at least four associates who met their wives/husbands in their 1L section. :)

Some people having had success doesn't mean it is generally a great idea. Some people have had success going over waterfalls in barrels, too.

Anyhow, if op finds sitting near his cute classmate distracting he should try sitting near a girl with whom he has had dates/a relationship missearably fail, for the remainder of the semester or year. That takes distraction to a new level of unmanageability, friends.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:29 am

lmr wrote:Okay, well if this is genuinely a problem I'd change seats. Sit in the front or somewhere you can't see her. I get you may have assigned seating but just ask to switch w someone or look for an empty seat that you can takeover. Or you could maybe just start talking to her like a normal classmate/may demystify her and you'll be able to relax. You'll be dealing w attractive women throughout your career, you need to learn to be professional about it.

Btw, this is the actual TCR.

In addition to being better off learning to treat attractive women with professionalism, you may just realize she is not as awesome for you as she appears. On the other hand, if she really odd amazing you can then get to know each other on a more paced and authentic basis, helping to minimalize the repercussions of eventual pitfalls. But the latter should not be your objective. Tread carefully, keep your head down, and focus on doing well in class.

arizonairish

Postby arizonairish » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:00 am

Read the title of this really fast, thought it said "Dealing with Candy Crush in Law School."

I have that issue too.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:02 am

zworykin wrote:TCR is a note, passed by a friend, containing the line "if yes, check yes. if no, do a backflip."

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:06 am

Deal with a crush by crushing that box, yo.

HoratioHornblower

Postby HoratioHornblower » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:07 am

Last edited by HoratioHornblower on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

90convoy

Postby 90convoy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:39 am

Talk to her! Find something interesting to say to her and say it. Worse case scenario you have a convo together :shock: Also, don't put her up on a pedestal; she is just a human being.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 am

lmr wrote:...You'll be dealing w attractive women throughout your career...

Only if you plan on dropping out of law school.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:35 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:

Zing.

By the way, law school isn't quite as ugly as I was lead to believe.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:40 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:

Zing.

By the way, law school isn't quite as ugly as I was lead to believe.

Hmmm...disagree. UG was 10x better.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”