Law School Reputation Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Connor Benz

Bronze

Law School Reputation

Post by Connor Benz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi, my name is Connor.

I am being perceived as a "class clown" from my section mates. I'm wondering how can I change this perception? In all honesty, I do not try to be funny at all. I just be myself. I've gotten cold-called a couple of times. The first one did not go well, but the other ones were okay - one great. However, people think I am being funny when I talk to the professors. I am from California and I go to an east coast school. I talk to the professors the way I would talk to a peer. It makes me more comfortable and allows me to engage more in the discussion. However, my "tone" and lingo makes people laugh. I feel like I'm not being taken seriously. Any one else experienced this or have thoughts on what I can do?

SemperLegal

Silver

Re: Law School Reputation

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Connor Benz wrote:Hi, my name is Connor.

I am being perceived as a "class clown" from my section mates. I'm wondering how can I change this perception? In all honesty, I do not try to be funny at all. I just be myself. I've gotten cold-called a couple of times. The first one did not go well, but the other ones were okay - one great. However, people think I am being funny when I talk to the professors. I am from California and I go to an east coast school. I talk to the professors the way I would talk to a peer. It makes me more comfortable and allows me to engage more in the discussion. However, my "tone" and lingo makes people laugh. I feel like I'm not being taken seriously. Any one else experienced this or have thoughts on what I can do?
Change. Being professional =/= being comfortable.

Connor Benz

Bronze

Post by Connor Benz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 pm

I see what you are saying. I'm trying to do that. So I don't participate in class as much any more because I don't want to give off the wrong impression. I wore sweats to class last friday and got offensive glares. (sweats really?!) I was late to a class one time and I opened the door too hard and it slammed against the wall and people thought that was funny. (It was really embarrassing). I don't know what else I can do. I'm thinking maybe its a cultural thing. Being from California, a lot of us are relaxed people. Out here on the east coast, these students are stressed out and anal about EVERYTHING in the first few weeks. I went to the University of California and graduated top 10%. Students there were serious, yet they knew when to relax and when to get serious. They were competitive, yet friendly. My law school class seems really "cliquey" and I'm not feeling that. It seems like these students are never relaxed and always apprehensive.

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:24 pm

You don't seem too chill if you're worrying about shit like this.

Connor Benz

Bronze

Post by Connor Benz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:26 pm

boredtodeath wrote:You don't seem too chill if you're worrying about shit like this.
That is why I titled the post "reputation" I'm worried that I am giving off the wrong impression as a class clown. I'm looking for advice on how to fix this since its only the second week

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

boredtodeath

Silver

Post by boredtodeath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Connor Benz wrote:
boredtodeath wrote:You don't seem too chill if you're worrying about shit like this.
That is why I titled the post "reputation" I'm worried that I am giving off the wrong impression as a class clown. I'm looking for advice on how to fix this since its only the second week
Idk man, I probably would think you're a chill, fun dude if you actually come off as you say you are coming off. I don't know about the people at your school, but it seems to me than any reasonable 20-something wouldn't think "less" of you for this stuff.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:33 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Connor Benz wrote:I see what you are saying. I'm trying to do that. So I don't participate in class as much any more because I don't want to give off the wrong impression. I wore sweats to class last friday and got offensive glares. (sweats really?!) I was late to a class one time and I opened the door too hard and it slammed against the wall and people thought that was funny. (It was really embarrassing). I don't know what else I can do. I'm thinking maybe its a cultural thing. Being from California, a lot of us are relaxed people. Out here on the east coast, these students are stressed out and anal about EVERYTHING in the first few weeks. I went to the University of California and graduated top 10%. Students there were serious, yet they knew when to relax and when to get serious. They were competitive, yet friendly. My law school class seems really "cliquey" and I'm not feeling that. It seems like these students are never relaxed and always apprehensive.
I strongly suggest doing whatever makes you comfortable and whatever you think will help you get the best grades possible. Fuck everything and everyone else, especially your peers. Sounding smart and fitting in with your class will not get you good grades, nor will it get you a job. That being said, if you need to participate in class to stay engaged and grasp the material, get back into it. If that's not how you learn best, then stay quiet and let everyone think you're a clown. It doesn't matter in the slightest. Stay focused on the exams to the exclusion of all else and you'll thank yourself a million times when OCI rolls around next fall.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:11 am

clear fucking flame.

c'mon, guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”