Irrelevant law on bar exam model essays

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Irrelevant law on bar exam model essays

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:57 pm

is it just me, or do the official model bar exam essays include long recitations of law that bear little relationship to the core legal issues presented? in law school, i wrote really short exams because i had neither the patience nor desire to spend my time bullshitting; i focused entirely on the core legal issues and only recited law that seemed to bear directly on the facts (i.e. i would't be like "note that [some issue that facts specifically preclude] doesn't apply" ad nauseum)

tl;dr - should i write spend lots of time talking about abstract law on the bar?

Re: Irrelevant law on bar exam model essays

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 am

The model answer includes everything an applicant could possibly talk about.

You are not supposed to, nor are you recommended, to actually talk about them all, especially when you are high unlikely to do so under the time pressure.

In other words, hit the main issues, apply the facts properly, and move on.

Re: Irrelevant law on bar exam model essays

Postby GertrudePerkins » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm

This also strikes me as something that could vary a bit by jurisdiction. MA specifically tells you not to write abstract rules of law -- just get right into application to the facts. But maybe other states are different.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”