Barbri mbe practice ?s Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bgdddymtty

Silver

Re: Barbri mbe practice ?s

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:19 pm

5ky wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:My scores have really been all over the map without any seeming correlation to the purported difficulty of the set:
Contracts: Set 1: 72%; Set 3: 56%; Set 5: 81%; PRE: 84%
Crim: Set 1: 83%; Set 3: 67%; Set 5: 44%; PRE: 88%
Evidence: Set 1: 72%; Set 3: 94%; Set 5: 72%; PRE: 76%
Property: Set 1: 56%; Set 3: 83%; Set 5: 75%; PRE: 68%
Torts: Set 1: 61%; Set 2: 72%; Set 5: 58%

How have you guys felt about the PRE tests? I like the tests themselves, but I feel like the explanation videos are pretty much a waste of time since we already have the detailed answers in the book.
Have you really had all of those assigned?

I think I've only had:
Torts: Set 1, Set 2, Set 5, PRE
Conlaw: Set 1, Set 5, PRE
Contracts: Set 1
Yes, with the exception of Torts Set 2, which is assigned for tomorrow. I'm doing Texas (online since I'm still in C'ville), and it's pretty much all essay-only subjects from here on out. I have Con Law next Thursday and Friday, and the Con Law and Torts PRE's right after that. Which state are you studying for?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Is anyone else using adaptibar? I'm curious as to how it compares to BarBri. I really like the flashcards and the explanations for wrong answers.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:28 pm

kaiser wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:My scores have really been all over the map without any seeming correlation to the purported difficulty of the set:
Contracts: Set 1: 72%; Set 3: 56%; Set 5: 81%; PRE: 84%
Crim: Set 1: 83%; Set 3: 67%; Set 5: 44%; PRE: 88%
Evidence: Set 1: 72%; Set 3: 94%; Set 5: 72%; PRE: 76%
Property: Set 1: 56%; Set 3: 83%; Set 5: 75%; PRE: 68%
Torts: Set 1: 61%; Set 2: 72%; Set 5: 58%

How have you guys felt about the PRE tests? I like the tests themselves, but I feel like the explanation videos are pretty much a waste of time since we already have the detailed answers in the book.
Seems like a waste to me as well, especially since the PRE Q's are the easiest by far, and theres only a select few where I'm genuinely curious as to how I got tricked (as opposed to those where I was 50/50 and just got caught up in some incorrect wording).

I haven't watched any of those or any of the approach videos. If I don't do we'll, I read all the answers for the ones I missed then retake the test and tell myself why an answer is right when I get to one I got wrong.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 pm

70% on crim set 5. some are tricky but I hope I can make up for property on the exam with it.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:16 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Is anyone else using adaptibar? I'm curious as to how it compares to BarBri. I really like the flashcards and the explanations for wrong answers.
I've heard from a few people that Adaptibar Q's, although real, released Q's, are in general too easy. From what I've read, its useful to see the length, structure, and style of real MBE Q's, but that they only released the easy ones, which is why most people tend to do very well at AdaptiBar Q's compared to BarBri and other source Q's. So I'm sure it can be helpful, but I feel like the scores can and would be misleading.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlameTrain

New

Post by BlameTrain » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:13 am

Probably the wrong type of forum to ask this, but did anyone struggle with the pre-MBE torts questions? I have started studying and thought I knew my stuff, but got roughly half right and am freaking out since these are supposedly the "easy" ones. Tripping up over some silly errors and several where I can get it down to two and guessed wrong.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:29 am

BlameTrain wrote:Probably the wrong type of forum to ask this, but did anyone struggle with the pre-MBE torts questions? I have started studying and thought I knew my stuff, but got roughly half right and am freaking out since these are supposedly the "easy" ones. Tripping up over some silly errors and several where I can get it down to two and guessed wrong.
Not an issue if you haven't started studying torts yet. You'll pick it up

BlameTrain

New

Post by BlameTrain » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:07 am

usuaggie wrote:
BlameTrain wrote:Probably the wrong type of forum to ask this, but did anyone struggle with the pre-MBE torts questions? I have started studying and thought I knew my stuff, but got roughly half right and am freaking out since these are supposedly the "easy" ones. Tripping up over some silly errors and several where I can get it down to two and guessed wrong.
Studied my outline of class notes integrated with the CMR off and on for a week while I worked in Contracts which is primarily why I am freaking out. If I'd done no prep, I'd be pretty happy.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:00 am

15/18 (83%) on Con Law Set 3. Rocking it this morning!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:13 am

BlameTrain wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
Studied my outline of class notes integrated with the CMR off and on for a week while I worked in Contracts which is primarily why I am freaking out. If I'd done no prep, I'd be pretty happy.
If you are merely picking wrong on 50/50's, it means you know the material, but just need to get the fine-tuned points. Look at the choices that fooled you. What makes them wrong? And what made them different from the right answer? And of course its fine to make silly errors at this point. So long as you learn what you did wrong, and try and fill in the gaps in your knowledge, you will be just fine.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:11 pm

How did people perform on the MBE Preview stuff yesterday?

I felt really good about contracts and got 19/25
I felt terrible about torts and went 16/25.

Is that about the same as anyone else? And do we know how they piece together these preview sections? I feel like the first 10 question are pretty fair, then 10-20 are brutally hard, and the last couple questions are gimmes. Is this how the actual MBE is structured, or are we getting harder/easier stuff from Barbri.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:22 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:How did people perform on the MBE Preview stuff yesterday?

I felt really good about contracts and got 19/25
I felt terrible about torts and went 16/25.

Is that about the same as anyone else? And do we know how they piece together these preview sections? I feel like the first 10 question are pretty fair, then 10-20 are brutally hard, and the last couple questions are gimmes. Is this how the actual MBE is structured, or are we getting harder/easier stuff from Barbri.
I'd say the PRE stuff skews to the easy side. The questions seem to progress based on subject matter, as opposed to difficulty, so I'm not noticing any trend as to questions getting easier or more difficult as I go along. But I do notice that the subjects sort of correspond to the way the CMR organizes the information (i.e. torts began with Q's on intentional torts, moved onto negligence, strict liability came more toward the end, etc.).

My results were for the PRE sets I did so far (torts and con law) were either right around or above my highest regular set performance. Did 19/25 on torts, but I typically hit around 70-75% right on torts anyway. Did 22/25 on con law, whereas I suck at Con Law, and did as poorly as 7/18 on one of the regular sets.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:04 pm

I've done two PRE and did 12-15% better than my Barbri averages. Two more tomorrow.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Anybody know if the PRE questions are easier than real ones? I'm getting 72-80% right for each subject when they're assigned.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:19 pm

usuaggie wrote:Anybody know if the PRE questions are easier than real ones? I'm getting 72-80% right for each subject when they're assigned.
I think they are probably on par. At least that's what I'm hoping for!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Had done really well on all the PREs up until Evidence. Did it after watching the two lectures and went 16/25. Fine for the normal questions, but a bit concerning since they were PREs. Questions were simple and tricky at the same time sort of.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:25 pm

usuaggie wrote:Anybody know if the PRE questions are easier than real ones? I'm getting 72-80% right for each subject when they're assigned.
Most of the PRE Q's seem easier, but the ones toward the end seem to be more difficult for me, since most of my errors are in the last few. Just did the contracts PRE set, and got 19/25 (which is disappointing for me since K's is what I consider my best subject). Yet 4 of the 6 wrong came from the last 6 Q's in the set.

And oddly enough, I did a 16 Q portion of K's Set 5, and got 12, which is 75% (though the percentage likely would have fallen off a bit had I done the other half of the set). So 75% on set 5, and 76% on the PRE. Hard to make sense of that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm

kaiser wrote:
Most of the PRE Q's seem easier, but the ones toward the end seem to be more difficult for me, since most of my errors are in the last few. Just did the contracts PRE set, and got 19/25 (which is disappointing for me since K's is what I consider my best subject). Yet 4 of the 6 wrong came from the last 6 Q's in the set.

And oddly enough, I did a 16 Q portion of K's Set 5, and got 12, which is 75% (though the percentage likely would have fallen off a bit had I done the other half of the set). So 75% on set 5, and 76% on the PRE. Hard to make sense of that.
I think the whole Set 1/Set 5 distinction is overwrought. If you did your sets on StudySmart, I'd look at the Summary tab under View Results and see how you've done on questions based on the difficulty level Barbri assigns to each question. While my results by set (listed earlier in this thread) are all over the map, my intro/intermediate/advanced scores are just as you would expect in every single subject.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:33 pm

goodolgil wrote:Had done really well on all the PREs up until Evidence. Did it after watching the two lectures and went 16/25. Fine for the normal questions, but a bit concerning since they were PREs. Questions were simple and tricky at the same time sort of.
I wouldnt worry. I had a similar low score for evidence but the other three PREs I did were in the 72%-84% range. If this was mid July, then maybe I would worry. We still got 1.5 more months to learn/memorize this crap.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:51 pm

I just rocked out Crim Set 2 (15/18), but I'm kicking myself over a massive reading comprehension fail on #7. That was probably the easiest one of the whole bunch.

phonepro

Bronze

Post by phonepro » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 pm

today on PRE:

19/25 on K ; 17/25 on evidence.

wehhhhhh

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:10 pm

phonepro wrote:today on PRE:

wehhhhhh
That might not be where you want to be, but I can guarantee that it puts you above 75% or more of all Barbri students at this point in the game.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:34 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

wehhhhhh
That might not be where you want to be, but I can guarantee that it puts you above 75% or more of all Barbri students at this point in the game.
I wish you could see your percentile rank for PREs, like studysmart.

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:00 pm

5ky wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

wehhhhhh
I wish you could see your percentile rank for PREs, like studysmart.
Me too. I wish they were integrated with the StudySmart percentages. I'd love to have the 88% I got on the Crim PRE offset some of the lasting psychic damage done by the 44% I got on Set 5.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:13 pm

wehhhhhh
Also did 19/25 on K's. But the good thing is that I am able to clearly isolate the tricks I fell for, and make a flashcard for that point of law to ensure that it doesn't trick me again. There was no major point where I was confused by the explanation or anything, so I guess thats good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”