BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Re: BarBri Thread: People taking Barbri for July 2013 exam

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Just did my first practice CA Performance Test. Pretty damn tough.
Was it Farley v. Dunn or In re Black?

I though Black was pretty easy, but damn was Farley rough. My third issue was an absolute mess!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Farley. I found it quite challenging to organize and difficult to finish on time. I also thought the instructions were somewhat unclear...but I guess I should count on that being the case on exam day.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:39 pm

what does a "CA Performance Test" involve? Is it like the MPT

DwightSchruteFarms

Bronze

Post by DwightSchruteFarms » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:48 pm

tfer2222 wrote:what does a "CA Performance Test" involve? Is it like the MPT
Honestly, I don't know the difference between other states' tests and CA's PT. In CA, it comprises of 40+ pages where close to 25 make up a "Library" and 12 up the facts, depositions, memo, etc (3 are instruction pages and useless filler). The biggest problem I have is managing the 3 hour timeframe. It takes 1-1.5 hours to get through the damn file and outline. 1.5 hours should ideally be enough for typing...but in that 1.5 span, I'm prob typing for 1 hour and rechecking facts/organizing my essay for the other 30.

ANyone have any tips on PTs? Techniques that work well for them?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:58 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:what does a "CA Performance Test" involve? Is it like the MPT
Honestly, I don't know the difference between other states' tests and CA's PT. In CA, it comprises of 40+ pages where close to 25 make up a "Library" and 12 up the facts, depositions, memo, etc (3 are instruction pages and useless filler). The biggest problem I have is managing the 3 hour timeframe. It takes 1-1.5 hours to get through the damn file and outline. 1.5 hours should ideally be enough for typing...but in that 1.5 span, I'm prob typing for 1 hour and rechecking facts/organizing my essay for the other 30.

ANyone have any tips on PTs? Techniques that work well for them?
That sounds miserable. The MPT is only 1.5 hours total, so the file + library is half of that, maybe even less

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:58 pm

edited. ^what he said.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:01 pm

I just pulled 150 on the simulated mbe. No more studying for me.

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:12 pm

shepdawg wrote:I just pulled 150 on the simulated mbe. No more studying for me.
Damn son

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:08 pm

just curious, what % were you averaging on practice q's?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:50 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
just curious, what % were you averaging on practice q's?
I was anywhere from 65% (con law) to 87% (torts) on the practice sets.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:27 pm

AntiHuman wrote:I am like 2 weeks behind. I think I'm going to skip the essay writing approach videos, essay analysis videos for each essay, and the mbe workshop videos...just do as many MBE questions as possible and outline as many essays as possible(don't write them out completely?) Thoughts?

General tips on what to skip on the paced program would be greatly appreciated. I am falling behind and feel like I should only do whats necessary. Already skipping on AMPS.
I think skipping the AMPs is a good call. I am also skipping the essay analysis videos and the PRE MBE workshop analysis videos, because I feel like they don't add anything whatsoever to the essay model answers and the MPQ answer explanations, respectively. But I watched the first essay writing workshop, like the intro or whatever, and felt it wasn't a waste of time.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:41 pm

Is anyone actually making "outlines" from notes in the way BarBri keeps suggesting? I'm having trouble seeing the point of doing more than just reading over the completed handout/read CMR/flash cards.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:10 am

Got back first graded essays and only got a 4. Not sure how much stock to put into these assessments. It was a K's essay, and that is easily my best subject. One issue was on economic duress. I got zero points since I used the phrase "economic duress", whereas the grader said that the issue is coercion (even though the lecture defined the situation as economic duress). My explanation got 0 points because I laid out economic duress precisely how it was in the lecture. Explanation was that I didn't lay out coercion (?). Then I saw circumstances that I felt weren't really in good faith. Grader (and BarBri explanation) said they seem like they were in good faith. So I get 0 on that part also.

Again, not sure how much stock to put into these assessments.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:17 am

kaiser wrote:Got back first graded essays and only got a 4. Not sure how much stock to put into these assessments. It was a K's essay, and that is easily my best subject. One issue was on economic duress. I got zero points since I used the phrase "economic duress", whereas the grader said that the issue is coercion (even though the lecture defined the situation as economic duress). My explanation got 0 points because I laid out economic duress precisely how it was in the lecture. Explanation was that I didn't lay out coercion (?). Then I saw circumstances that I felt weren't really in good faith. Grader (and BarBri explanation) said they seem like they were in good faith. So I get 0 on that part also.

The average is a 3, so that's probably pretty good. Also, I said economic duress instead of coercion and got some points for it, so who knows

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:35 am

kaiser wrote:Got back first graded essays and only got a 4. Not sure how much stock to put into these assessments. It was a K's essay, and that is easily my best subject. One issue was on economic duress. I got zero points since I used the phrase "economic duress", whereas the grader said that the issue is coercion (even though the lecture defined the situation as economic duress). My explanation got 0 points because I laid out economic duress precisely how it was in the lecture. Explanation was that I didn't lay out coercion (?). Then I saw circumstances that I felt weren't really in good faith. Grader (and BarBri explanation) said they seem like they were in good faith. So I get 0 on that part also.

I did pretty much the same thing as you on this part of the question and got a 5. It was kind of annoying that the only "duress" we learned about in that lecture was economic duress. I would have gotten more points had I relied on my common sense 1L K knowledge rather than thinking I should try to apply that point from the lecture.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 am

tfer2222 wrote:

I did pretty much the same thing as you on this part of the question and got a 5. It was kind of annoying that the only "duress" we learned about in that lecture was economic duress. I would have gotten more points had I relied on my common sense 1L K knowledge rather than thinking I should try to apply that point from the lecture.
Not only is economic duress what we learned in lecture, but its exactly what is in the CMR as well. I can understand losing 1/3 point or losing 1/2 point here and there. But getting absolutely 0 points for that entire issue simply due to that differing term, and a conclusion that the seller wasn't really in totally good faith? Just doesn't make all that much sense to me.

No Mystery

New

Post by No Mystery » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:46 pm

goodolgil wrote:Is anyone actually making "outlines" from notes in the way BarBri keeps suggesting? I'm having trouble seeing the point of doing more than just reading over the completed handout/read CMR/flash cards.
I haven't been making the outlines. I'm considering copying and pasting from the notes but removing the hypos; that at least could turn an 80 page handout into a more memorizable 40 pages.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:03 pm

No Mystery wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Is anyone actually making "outlines" from notes in the way BarBri keeps suggesting? I'm having trouble seeing the point of doing more than just reading over the completed handout/read CMR/flash cards.
I haven't been making the outlines. I'm considering copying and pasting from the notes but removing the hypos; that at least could turn an 80 page handout into a more memorizable 40 pages.
This is basically what I did with Con law (I removed hypos and changed stuff around a little bit to better suit my own personal organization preferences). I think writing it out, in and of itself, helped with memorization, plus I have a much more workable/searchable outline now. Took kind of a long time, but I think I'll be doing it with the other subjects soon.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:25 pm

kaiser wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:

Not only is economic duress what we learned in lecture, but its exactly what is in the CMR as well. I can understand losing 1/3 point or losing 1/2 point here and there. But getting absolutely 0 points for that entire issue simply due to that differing term, and a conclusion that the seller wasn't really in totally good faith? Just doesn't make all that much sense to me.
The grading is just haphazard. I only got 5/6ths of the possible 3 points for issue 4, anticipatory repudiation, despite the fact I IRAC'd with a verbatim rule statement, missed nothing from the model answer, came to the right conclusion, and had "Good Analysis" as the comment from the grader.

Of course, she also earlier said that "Your righting would flow better if you followed IRAC more closely" so YOLO

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:48 pm

kaiser wrote:
NinerFan wrote: Any rec's on good apps for this?
I've been using StudyDroid.com and the corresponding Android app. Quizzlet is another one I've used in the past. With StudyDroid, you can search archives of public flashcard packs, and I believe there were quite a few on bar exam stuff. So that can help for quizzing yourself on BLL if you don't have time to make your own. But I found the process of making the cards an effective form of review.
http://ankisrs.net/

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:20 pm

I should be able to find this info on the BarBri site, but I can't: how are the BarBri practice CA PTs graded? I just got back my first practice performance test and I'm not sure where I should be, points-wise.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 pm

5ky wrote:

The average is a 3, so that's probably pretty good. Also, I said economic duress instead of coercion and got some points for it, so who knows
It's funny-- I did a con law essay and there was only one issue-- I wrote about the completely WRONG issue and got a 3.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 pm

BCLS wrote: It's funny-- I did a con law essay and there was only one issue-- I wrote about the completely WRONG issue and got a 3.
out of what? NY is out of 10

BCLS

Silver

Post by BCLS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:27 pm

tfer2222 wrote:
BCLS wrote: It's funny-- I did a con law essay and there was only one issue-- I wrote about the completely WRONG issue and got a 3.
out of what? NY is out of 10
3/7

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:20 pm

BCLS wrote:
Damn son
Congrats. Did your pace program have you taking the simulate MBE this early? Mine isn't for like 3 weeks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”