2L, Have SA, In-Semester Externships?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawyerdown27

2L, Have SA, In-Semester Externships?

Postby lawyerdown27 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 pm

I'm a 2L at secondary market T2. I'm on LR, MC, and I have a SA lined up with a bigger mid-size firm. I'm hoping that the % chance of an offer is high, but I'm taking nothing for granted.

The one thing I haven't done in law school is pursue an in-semester externship (I had a prosecution 1L summer gig, unpaid and not for credit). Do these have any added value for resume purposes if I already have a SA? Or are my remaining elective course spots better served doing classes that either (1) will be on the bar, (2) cover areas of law this firm handles, or (3) are interesting to me (not in a "Law and ___" way, but in a "stuff I think every lawyer should know" way)?

Thanks all.

rad lulz

Re: 2L, Have SA, In-Semester Externships?

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Do something in case you get no offered

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I would say do the externships. I did despite having two 2L summer SA's lined up, and I do believe it provided valuable experience and some great resume fodder. Don't worry about bar classes, cuz you'll get all you need if you just stick to the bar prep schedule you have after grad. Don't worry about taking extra classes; you'll learn more from working than you would from classes.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 pm

I think externships are worthwhile for everyone. Even somewhere you don't do super substantive stuff, you get much more practical experience than you do sitting in class - even if it's just seeing how different legal institutions work. I can't say it's always going to directly make your resume stand out (though I will say one of the externships I did ended up, in practice, being a sort of prereq to getting the permanent job I have) (not a firm job). But personally, I think it's just going to make you a better candidate because you have a broader base of knowledge, more to talk about, and a broader context for whatever you do in future.

I also completely agree that doing bar courses just for the bar isn't necessary (if you want to do a course and it's on the bar, cool. But you can learn whatever you need in bar review. Yes, learning secured transactions and corps was tougher than learning the stuff I'd taken courses in. But not enough to have justified taking a whole semester course in something that didn't interest me.)

(I also did LR and MC, so if you're worried about time commitment, it can be done.)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”