OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bronck

Gold

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:54 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Bronck wrote:You guys actually recited BLL on the test? I never did, it seems like a waste of time.
My civ pro professor specifically told us she would give points for it (and a few of my other professors have told us to to make sure we state the rules we're applying), and for case names in certain contexts, though she was more ambiguous on this. I'm a pretty quick typer (not super fast, but quick enough), so it didn't really cost me any time. I think the biggest gain was that as I typed it out, it made me see more forks in the law that I could apply to the fact pattern.
Interesting. I haven't actually had a prof tell us to recite BLL. I've had several tell us to NOT cite BLL or cases though.

I imagine you won't lose points for reciting BLL, which means that as long as you're a fast typer it's probably not a big deal. I can buy into the idea that it can help frame your thought process too.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Prewriting for civ pro helped me actually understand what the law is better than any other form of studying.

And my prof definitely wanted us to mention it on the exam.

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Just finished an exam... It was fucking hard as fuck :shock:
FML... I studied my ass off and that test was insane... Dear #curvegod please save me :cry:
This. A thousand times this.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm going to be saying prayers to based curved god every night. Each time someone says something about giving up I (naïvely) think TYCG.

Focusing on Con Law right now. I feel like I've turned the corner. Now I just need to maintain focus.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 pm

hibiki wrote:I'm going to be saying prayers to based curved god every night. Each time someone says something about giving up I (naïvely) think TYCG.
I love this post. +10000

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Just finished civpro a few hours ago. No idea what to expect. Professor could have loved or hated my answers, and I felt like I was spewing b.s. the whole time. Waiting is not going to be fun. Hope everyone's hanging in there!

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
redsox550 wrote:uchhh I hate this shit! Can't tell if I was feeling this shitty/paranoid/nervous last semester. Either way it sucks
lol Clermont will do that to you... everytime I think I've figured something out I realize another nuance that I don't understand that I'll prob get screwed over with on the multiple choice.
The highest score on multiple choice is usually around 17/30, so don't stress. Looking at the questions in the text book will give you a rough idea of what to expect.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Just finished my property exam. Walked out feeling like I crushed it. Typed about 7000 words in 4 hours most of which was substantive. Then I made the huge mistake of talking to a friend after. he mentioned something so I looked at the outline I made before typing and realized I left out a HUGE issue and all the subcomponents, even though he emphasized this in class probably 5 times and we have a big case specifically for that... dang!

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:43 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Just finished my property exam. Walked out feeling like I crushed it. Typed about 7000 words in 4 hours most of which was substantive. Then I made the huge mistake of talking to a friend after. he mentioned something so I looked at the outline I made before typing and realized I left out a HUGE issue and all the subcomponents, even though he emphasized this in class probably 5 times and we have a big case specifically for that... dang!
Ugh, thats the worst feeling ever. Happened to me after my contracts exam last semester (though tbf I walked out of that exam feeling terrible because I had freaked out a lot, so I knew I was gonna do poorly anyway).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:45 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Just finished my property exam. Walked out feeling like I crushed it. Typed about 7000 words in 4 hours most of which was substantive. Then I made the huge mistake of talking to a friend after. he mentioned something so I looked at the outline I made before typing and realized I left out a HUGE issue and all the subcomponents, even though he emphasized this in class probably 5 times and we have a big case specifically for that... dang!
That sucks dude. let's hope you knocked the rest of the content outta the park to make up for missing that issue.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Worry about the curve being too tight if the exam feels easy; worry about the exam being too hard if the exam feels, well, hard. Guess I will never be happy as a law student.

Prospect

New

Post by Prospect » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of some Crim. Pro. multiple choice questions?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Ugh, thats the worst feeling ever. Happened to me after my contracts exam last semester (though tbf I walked out of that exam feeling terrible because I had freaked out a lot, so I knew I was gonna do poorly anyway).
So I am guessing it didnt turn out well? I was hoping for a story of someone missing one big issue, but the rest was good so they still go an A- or better.

I guess I just dont know how much weight is put on one issue when that issue was directly pointed out. Its almost like I just ignored 2 sentences. I guess it just depends on the way he grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:01 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
So I am guessing it didnt turn out well? I was hoping for a story of someone missing one big issue, but the rest was good so they still go an A- or better.

I guess I just dont know how much weight is put on one issue when that issue was directly pointed out. Its almost like I just ignored 2 sentences. I guess it just depends on the way he grades.
For me, it didn't turn out well (though I got a B, so it wasn't a disaster), but it really had nothing to do with just missing the one issue, it was because the rest of my exam was bad too haha. Seriously, don't worry about just missing the one issue, especially since (unlike me during my exam) you feel really confident about the rest of your exam.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:14 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rustyyoda

New

Post by rustyyoda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Done with crim law. It was fine except that there was no where on the exam to talk about CL homicide. The only issue spotter was limited to the MPC and none of the short answers addressed CL homicide. Wtf.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Can someone explain what pre-writing is?
I pre-wrote for con law. Under most circumstances, a proper answer is IRAC - prewrite the rule section. For example, there is a EP issue on an exam. What is the first step of an ep issue (putting aside state action/5th a or 14th etc) - First step is find the classification. What standard of review does it trigger? The standard of review largely determines how you answer a question. Take a look at my pre-written rational basis review standard:

The traditional RB standard of review requires only that there be some conceivable reason for the challenged classification, whether or not this was the actual purpose that motivated the legislature. A classification subject to mere RB review comes before a court “bearing a strong presumption of validity,” and its challenger must “negate every conceivable basis that might support it.” (FCC). The asserted rationale may rest entirely on “rational speculation unsupported by evidence or empirical data.” (FCC). The classification can be overinclusive, underinclusive, illogical, and unscientific, and may involve approaching an issue incrementally, “one step at a time, addressing itself to the phase of the problem which seems most acute to the legislative mind.” (Lee Optical).
And if, as is often the case, the classification involves “a process of line drawing,” the fact that the legislature had to draw the line somewhere “renders the precise coordinates of the resulting legislative judgment virtually unreviewable.” (FCC).

I see a classification that triggers RB review - all I have to do is copy this down real quick, then I can just look through my pre-write to guide my answer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:37 pm

First exam tomorrow. Got here at 8. Gonna keep going till 10, get a good night's sleep. CSWS till I get that A+, baby!

Or so I'm trying to convince myself. I'm actually really tired and finding it hard to focus. :(

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:02 pm

My brain hurts from studying.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Crim question... if you black out and kill someone, is your action voluntary or involuntary? Am I right in thinking its voluntary, and any defense you'd have would be based on lacking mens rea?

rustyyoda

New

Post by rustyyoda » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm

SportsFan wrote:Crim question... if you black out and kill someone, is your action voluntary or involuntary? Am I right in thinking its voluntary, and any defense you'd have would be based on lacking mens rea?
It depends on if they knew that there was a possibility that they could black out. There's a case where a driver has an epileptic seizure and causes a car accident, killing another driver. The court finds that his act of choosing to drive, knowing that he had epilepsy and could have a seizure, was voluntary and held him liable. But, if you had a seizure out of the blue and had no history or any idea that it could happen, that would be involuntary.

So if you knew you could black out or you had blacked out before, probably no defense. But if it's the first time and you had no idea it could happen, probably defense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:13 pm

oh con law. why do you hurt me so?

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Can someone help me out with vertical privity?

If O has Lot 1 and 2 and conveys Lot 1 to A (no covenant) then Lot 2 to B (with covenant).

If O has Lot 1 and 2 and conveys Lot 1 to A (with covenant) then Lot 2 to B (no covenant).

Is there vertical privity in either of those cases?

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:oh con law. why do you hurt me so?
The worst part is that I actually find this stuff interesting, which makes studying take so much longer.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 pm

*is not sure*

I think both of those would be horizontal privity. I believe it vertical privity would exist in a situation with A or B assigning their interest to someone else.

Sorry for the size

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”