OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BlueLotus

Gold

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:21 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Checking in. Ahead in Chereminsky and the relative E&Es. Have been writing out the E&E problems this semester. Feelsgoodman.

When are you guys going to begin outlining?
Spring break, which is right now. Glad I'm not the only one who's barely started!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 pm

I use other peeps outlines.

Spring Break I'ma start E&E'in like a maniac

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 pm

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
gaud wrote:I use other peeps outlines.
This. a thousand times over!

i don't trust them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:01 pm

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
gaud wrote:I use other peeps outlines.
This. a thousand times over!
i don't trust them.
Look for people that have booked or gotten an A in the class from upper levels, they are out there... If it doesn't pass a cursory a glance, then I don't use it :D
Yep. I can usually tell by looking at it if I could use it.

For example, I had two civ pro outlines last semester (both from 2Ls). One of them was total shit and the other was a complete 180. The 180 one was from a student that A+'d the final.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi guys. To anyone who took Civ Pro and Con Law first semester, a few questions.

1) In Civ Pro, I am reading Glannon and understand the rules. I just have not matched the rule to the rule number (Rule 12(b)(6), etc.). How did your Civ Pro outline look?
2) In Con Law, there are dozens of tests. Was your outline long or short?
3) In Con Law, I am reading Chereminsky. Is it credited to write out the E&E problems?

Edit: Plus, I can't wait to go in maniac mode again. Starting tomorrow, 9 AM - 1 AM! LET'S GO FOOLS.

By the way, those with long commutes, download BarBri videos and listen to them in your car.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm

^ Here's, e.g., what I did for Civ Pro for the section "Preparing a Complaint"
  • RULE 1, SCOPE = FRCP should be construed in a just, speedy and inexpensive determination of every action
  • RULE 3, COMMENCING AN ACTION = by filing a complaint w/ the court
  • RULE 7, PLEADINGS ALLOWED = (1) complaint, (2) answer to complaint, (3) answer to counterclaim, (4) answer to crossclaim, (5) 3d party complaint, (6) answer to 3d party complaint, (7) reply to an answer
  • RULE 8, GENERAL RULES OF PLEADINGS = P must present a "short and plain statement" of the claim for relief
  • RULE 9(b), PLEADING SPECIAL MATTERS = When stating fraud/mistake, party must state with particularity the circumstances constituting fraud/mistake
**IQBAL TEST** — only look at P's pleading
1. Complaint must go beyond threadbare recitals of the elements of a cause of action, supported by mere conclusory statements.
2. Only a complaint that states a plausible claim for relief survives a motion to dismiss. Plausibility is context-specific and requires common sense.

Swanson v. Citibank (2010): displays the two alternative readings of Twiqbal
  • Tries to reconcile Rule 8 with Iqbal — P must give enough details about subject-matter of the case to present a story that holds together. . . unnecessary to stack up inferences side-by-side to see if P's are more compelling than opposing inferences.
  • Posner applies the test more like the Iqbal court (by stacking up inferences in a probabilistic manner)
Cases
Conley v. Gibson (1957). OLD standard for Rule 8
  • FRCP 8 doesn't require P to specify detailed facts — party must simply put D on notice [of what the case is about and the grounds upon which it rests] . . . an intentionally liberal approach (occurs b4 discovery)
Bell Atlantic v. Twombly (2007): REJECTED Conley's "no set of facts" language. Imposed a plausibility requirement at the pleading stage.
  • Formulaic recitation of the elements of a cause of action are insufficient . . . Facts must be taken as true
  • P's complaint should be dismissed. Plausible that the telecom companies didn't agree to conspire, but rather continued to work in the areas that they had before (conscious parallelism)
Ashcroft v. Iqbal (2009): Applied Twombly to CIVIL ACTIONS
  • P must show that petitioners implemented the policy intentionally to discriminate. Complaint did not move the claim from conceivable to plausible — it's just as likely that the gov sought to keep suspected terrorists in secure conditions until suspects could be cleared of terrorist activity ("obvious alternative")
  • Dissent: argues that the conclusions (together) are sufficient. Petitioners conceded that they could be liable for the acts of their subordinates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

squid2211

New

Post by squid2211 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Hi guys. To anyone who took Civ Pro and Con Law first semester, a few questions.

1) In Civ Pro, I am reading Glannon and understand the rules. I just have not matched the rule to the rule number (Rule 12(b)(6), etc.). How did your Civ Pro outline look?
2) In Con Law, there are dozens of tests. Was your outline long or short?
3) In Con Law, I am reading Chereminsky. Is it credited to write out the E&E problems?

Edit: Plus, I can't wait to go in maniac mode again. Starting tomorrow, 9 AM - 1 AM! LET'S GO FOOLS.

By the way, those with long commutes, download BarBri videos and listen to them in your car.
A in Civ. Pro. Just to note, my professor preferred, but didn't require case names and specific rule numbers. I'm willing to share, but I'm not sure if there is a way to copy and paste on here from Word without losing formatting?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah, I got an A in Civ Pro as well. I only used Glannon, no other supplements. I did not structure my outline based on when we learned it in class. Rather, I started with PJ, SMJ, Erie, etc. I heavily infused the outline with Glannon info, though the foundation was what we did in class. I made sure to input all the Erie examples Glannon went over in the Examples & Explanations section since I figured something similar may show up on the exam. For things like PJ, you just need to type like a motherfucker and go through every single analysis, even if it's not entirely on point.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Bronck wrote:Yeah, I got an A in Civ Pro as well. I only used Glannon, no other supplements. I did not structure my outline based on when we learned it in class. Rather, I started with PJ, SMJ, Erie, etc. I heavily infused the outline with Glannon info, though the foundation was what we did in class. I made sure to input all the Erie examples Glannon went over in the Examples & Explanations section since I figured something similar may show up on the exam. For things like PJ, you just need to type like a motherfucker and go through every single analysis, even if it's not entirely on point.
Did you write out the E&E questions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
Bronck wrote:Yeah, I got an A in Civ Pro as well. I only used Glannon, no other supplements. I did not structure my outline based on when we learned it in class. Rather, I started with PJ, SMJ, Erie, etc. I heavily infused the outline with Glannon info, though the foundation was what we did in class. I made sure to input all the Erie examples Glannon went over in the Examples & Explanations section since I figured something similar may show up on the exam. For things like PJ, you just need to type like a motherfucker and go through every single analysis, even if it's not entirely on point.
Did you write out the E&E questions?
Nope. I just read through them, generally pretty casually, a couple days before the exam.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Also used Glannon for Civ Pro, also got an A. I could tell from my profs previous exams there would be at least one question on PJ and one on Erie, so I focused on those two doctrines and read and re-read all the cases related to those two topics.

I spent some time outlining the rules but pretty much nothing I learned in the first half of my class showed up on the final.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Another A in civ pro (lol at all of us getting A's *brushes shoulder off*)

+1 to this sort of analysis. I had PT'd the runthrough so many times I had it memorized. I would seriously just go: pennoyer > ishoe> shaffer > wwvw > etc. Just ran through them all and with my professor mentioning the case names was key.

As for the rules, just lay that shit out in the order they would come up in a case.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 pm

did anyone have a closed book civpro exam?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 pm

mephistopheles wrote:did anyone have a closed book civpro exam?
No lol that would suck

Though, I probably would have performed roughly the same. But it would be more stressful not knowing that O/L is right there

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Anyone here have a closed book Con Law exam?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:49 pm

stillwater wrote:
yes, i did.

did you make an outline? or basically how did you prepare differently from the classes that were open notes?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
stillwater wrote:
yes, i did.

did you make an outline? or basically how did you prepare differently from the classes that were open notes?
i didn't make anything approaching a coherent outline. I would read freer and mark up the margins. I would go back a day or two after and write a rough outline using my marginal notes. It was just another way for me to review the material. then closer to the test I would re-read freer. I never made anything more refined or went back to condense them or anything. I have a pretty good memory so I found it unnecessary to do anything further. But I also didn't use my outlines in my open book exams.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 am

A little levity for the CSWS gals (and gay boys, lol) slogging thru my buddy's ~140 page Crim Law outline :mrgreen:

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 am

Got through the rest of my reading for the week today and applied to a few jerbs. Not too bad of a day, I guess. Probably could've done more, but oh well.

Tomorrow = do memo rewrite (I bet I can half-ass that in an hour or so), apply to a lot more jobs, and start my property review.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:48 am

What jerbs are still open in March? I know most of fedgov, firms, and shiny PI stuff has gone already. Judges? Local PI stuff?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”