OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ArtVandelayy

New

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by ArtVandelayy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:52 am

For all of you beasting through this, how much sleep are you getting per night? I have been crashing hard in the afternoons lately

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 am

ArtVandelayy wrote:For all of you beasting through this, how much sleep are you getting per night? I have been crashing hard in the afternoons lately
I have been getting around ~6 hours of sleep a night. A little more, a little less, depending on the circumstances. If you are crashing hard maybe you should try and get a little more sleep, drink some coffee or an energy drink to power you through, and remember the fundamental rule: CSWS

JRustle

New

Post by JRustle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:45 am

ArtVandelayy wrote:For all of you beasting through this, how much sleep are you getting per night? I have been crashing hard in the afternoons lately
Right now I am going with about 4.5, but I plan on bumping that up to 8 or so once all outlines are finished/memorized and I am only doing practice exams.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:14 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 pm

T-minus 4 days for my first exam, then 2 day breaks

When should I start studying exclusively for exam 1&2? Today is suppose to be 2&3 day but I am reconsidering that now...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:18 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Raiden wrote:T-minus 4 days for my first exam, then 2 day breaks

When should I start studying exclusively for exam 1&2? Today is suppose to be 2&3 day but I am reconsidering that now...
my first two exams are next week ...i am exclusively studying for them both now...once the 2d exam is finished then another 4 days of exclusive study for the last 2 exams
Yeah I'll be doing 3-5 days of exclusive studying before each exam.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:49 pm

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Jsa725 wrote:anyone got civpro and are familiar with the FRCP? i gotta question.
I definitely don't consider myself a civ pro expert but I'll answer if I can!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:53 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:anyone got civpro and are familiar with the FRCP? i gotta question.
+1.

We've harped on the rules a lot so I may also be able to help. Maybe. Lol

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Just a random helpful hint that is already helping me study...

My torts exam is closed book, so obviously its a bit different since I really do have to memorize everything or I just won't be able to use it on the exam (since I, er, won't know it haha). Because I have a lot of old exam's from my professor, I've looked through like 4 already, and noticed some common themes that seem to pop up on every exam (some sort of medical malpractice, vicarious liability, and intentional torts are what I've seen). Definitely already helped me, since when I took a torts practice exam last night, 2 of the 3 things I just named were prominent features (one was entirely a malpractice question, the vicarious liability was involved in 2 of the 3 questions... no intentional torts though). If you have access to multiple old exams, I HIGHLY recommend looking through them all for patterns like this to help you focus your studying. Because of this, I know that I'll have to memorize all the vicarious liability rules (which previously weren't really high on my list), and to make sure I really understand malpractice well.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:02 pm

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 pm

Ah bro, unfortunately we didn't hit those rules :?

Sorry man

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:16 pm

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
gaud wrote:Ah bro, unfortunately we didn't hit those rules :?

Sorry man
aye, no prob... just grindin' away. monday is judgement day :shock: CSWS.
You'll have to let us know what it's like bro... I couldn't imagine going Monday

(has studied much less than you)

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
gaud wrote:Ah bro, unfortunately we didn't hit those rules :?

Sorry man
aye, no prob... just grindin' away. monday is judgement day :shock: CSWS.
Damn bro, I know you will crush it though. You have been with us since the get go and have been grinding as hard as any of us and possibly harder than your classmates. YOU GOT THIS

CSWS

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
company X files suit against A,B,C in 3 separate actions. court wants to minimize costs and join all three parties in a single action b/c A,B,C were all together in the crime (same time, same place) ...X wants damages b/c they destroyed expensive shit.

FRCP 21 says court can add a party on its own.

Question: does the court THEN follow FRCP 19 analysis or FRCP 20(a)(2)(A & B) ... b/c FRCP 21 does not elaborate.

I think the court would see if (1) same transaction or occurrence and then (2) if common Q of law or fact (Rule 20)
just want to make sure i do not need to use Rule 19 in this one
We didn't really learn about courts wanting to join parties (we just focused on plaintiffs and defendants wanting to join, how to join, and the effects of improper joinder), so my analysis may me off. But the way we learned it is R19 is required joinder, and R20 is permissive joinder. My guess is it comes down to whether the court sees the parties as required to be joined, and I don't think R19 would apply here assuming that X's lawsuits against A,B,C are all valid on their own.

R19 would apply if in the absence of the other parties, "the court cannot accord complete relief among existing parties" (R19a1A) or "that person claims an interest" and "as a practical matter" their absence will "impair or impede the persons ability to protect the interest" or "leave an existing party subject to substantial risk of incurring double, multiple, or otherwise inconsistent obligations because of the interest" (that is, if X was suing each of A, B, and C for the full value of the expensive shit and not suing A for 50%, B for 30%, and C for 20%) (R19a1B). You then need to make sure the court has jurisdiction over all the parties.

So I imagine the court would be forcing them to join under R20 (permissive joinder). R20a2 says defendants can be joined in one action if "any right to relief is asserted against them" and "any question of law or fact common to all defendants will arise in the action" and I think both those definitely apply. So the court would probably want to follow R20, but like I said we didn't really learn about this soooooo maybe my analysis is just completely wrong. :lol:

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 pm

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Jsa725 wrote:study beard in full force... cant wait to shave it post-exams :D
I'm jelly.

I had to cut mine (dinner party w/ the lady's folks) but it's coming back now. Gonna try and get that 300 look going on hahahahah

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Torts is by far my weakness. For vicarious liability, do you sue the negligent employee first then sue the company under VL?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Torts is by far my weakness. For vicarious liability, do you sue the negligent employee first then sue the company under VL?
On the exam you will have to talk about the negligence of the employee and VL of the employer under different headings, as 2 different possibilities. In practice you can choose if you want to sue the employee or the employer (you can't recover twice). You will probably want to sue the employer because he has more money so you can actually get damages. In theory the employer can then recover what he gave to you from the employee.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks.

To all my soldiers worrying. To all my soldiers falling off the rails, let's fucking go. Theresa still time. Buckle down. SAY FUCK THIS. And beast that shit. We all fuck up. We're all human. But as humans we have the ability to take the reigns. IM GOIN TO BEAST THIS K PT, WRITE OUT THE BLL 3 TIMES, FINISH SHORT HYPOS, THEN FUCKING KICK THIS PROXIMATE CAUSATION MOTHER FUCKER TO THE CURB! LETS. FUCKING. GO. LFG.

You do 4-5 PTs per class, type the BLL 10 times per class, brush up on your weaknesses, a few hypos/MC per class... 12-14 hours a day. You're fine.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Just did a contracts practice exam. Felt about the same as I did with the torts one I took a week ago, in that it sort of reminded me how little BLL I actually know right now haha. So it was definitely a nice reminder to get on memorizing that ASAP (and also to do a better job of putting it in my outlines...). I feel like my analysis, arguments, and counterarguments are getting a lot better though, and I hit a lot of the points raised in my professors sample answer.

At this point I'm just hoping all my classmates aren't secretly doing lots of practice exams too. :twisted: haha.

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Friends,

Just turned in my legal writing memo this afternoon. One week until first exam. Will buck down and CSWS now.

My only question is: Is it ok to drive a beer on Friday night while studying?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”