First hand experience with SmartE edition casebooks? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
joetheplumber

Bronze

First hand experience with SmartE edition casebooks?

Post by joetheplumber » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 pm

So the professor said we need to get the SmartE/digital version. He said that the hardbound copy was optional. http://www.aspenlaw.com/product.asp?cat ... 1454819626

Any point in getting the bundled version with the hardcopy or will the digital version be sufficient. Also, can I print from the smartE version?

krepitch

New

Re: First hand experience with SmartE edition casebooks?

Post by krepitch » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 pm

You can print ten pages at a time. Sometimes it's easy to do, sometimes it takes forever (I don't know why yet, but it seems like it might have to do with the website).

If you have Adobe Acrobat (worth buying with a student discount, btw), you can print to pdf, combine all the ten-page files, then physically print the final document if you want to have the full thing. Of course, you can always just print a few pages at a time.

I think it's great because I have a thing about/against writing in books. LOL. Plus, it is easier to read and write on looseleaf pages and you only have to carry the pages you need to class instead of, say, an 1800 page Criminal Procedure casebook. You'll always have access to the rest of the book with the online version (and the included Adobe Digital Editions version you can download) if you need it. Also, the professor can annotate the SmartE version, so sometimes you can pick up hints about what he or she thinks is most important.

So, to answer your question directly, I think you'd be fine with only the SmartE version, unless you would like to have a bound book for reference in the future. Although I would suggest you look at the prices because sometimes the incremental cost of adding the bound book isn't very high, relatively speaking.

It will be interesting to see how publishers handle this because it's technically very simple for someone to create the full pdf and share it with other people. AspenLaw seems to have the most student-friendly approach, but there's at least one other publisher that has digital versions that don't give us the print option.

HTH. Let me know if you have more questions. I'm actually printing my Contracts book right now. :)

joetheplumber

Bronze

Re: First hand experience with SmartE edition casebooks?

Post by joetheplumber » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks! sounds good. I think i'll just order the digital smartE version instead of both. If i get both the digital and hard version, it costs like 70 bucks more. And the ability to print them would obviously be better than bringing like a big casebook.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”