2L Supplement Suggestions (Fed Tax & BusOrg)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

2L Supplement Suggestions (Fed Tax & BusOrg)

Postby acrossthesea » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Does anyone have any supplement suggestions for Fed Tax or BusOrg/Corporations? The books are:

Fed Tax (Burke & Friel casebook)

BusOrg/Corporations (O'Kelley casebook)

Re: 2L Supplement Suggestions (Fed Tax & BusOrg)

Postby ran12 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:38 pm

For tax check out the black letter outline and E&E. Thought they were good but both lack analysis of certain issues.

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 am

I don't think tax really lends itself well to a supp. I never found that one was especially helpful. However, the West code supplement for tax comes with a giant poster that flowcharts the entire class. If you're going to buy a code supplement, get that one. That chart is money.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Anyone have any other suggestions?

We're using Schmalbeck's book, and the damn thing is just impossible to follow/uses a lot of language that leaves me wondering what on earth I just read.

Anyone have any experience with the outline briefs keyed to the book?

Postby Rotor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Chirelstein's Federal Income Taxation does a good job simplifying concepts with good examples.

Postby lawyerdown27 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 am

If you plan on being diligent and learning the concepts in tax throughout the semester, Chirelstein would be a good supplement to regularly spend some time reading. However, I didn't really learn much of anything in the class until about a week before the final - way too late to dive into Chirelstein. For that purpose, E&E was good for breaking down most of the rules and steps, but the practice problems aren't very challenging. I would re-do every problem in the beginning of each chapter of your casebook and learn those cold; maybe do the Q&A for additional practice. Lexis Understanding Fed Tax or whatever is useless - the supplement text is almost straight copied and pasted from your textbook.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”