Top half at T30 = still effed? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sunynp

Gold

Re: Top half at T30 = still effed?

Post by sunynp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:49 pm

JetsFan: please don't post in this forum as an 0L. There is a place called ask a law school student made specifically as a place where 0Ls can post. See this sticky at the top of the forum:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=170599
JetsFan1990 wrote:Perseus, you amuse me. Just curious, what would you say to someone who is median at BC ( with a 20k scholly, for instance)? This isn't my situation, by the way. I haven't even started school yet.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:51 pm

sunynp wrote:JetsFan: please don't post in this forum as an 0L. There is a place called ask a law school student made specifically as a place where 0Ls can post. See this sticky at the top of the forum:
JetsFan1990 wrote:Perseus, you amuse me. Just curious, what would you say to someone who is median at BC ( with a 20k scholly, for instance)? This isn't my situation, by the way. I haven't even started school yet.
To be certain, I can post in this forum in three weeks (when classes start), but not now?? hmmm..

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm

yikeslawschool wrote:So I just finished 1L year and I'm in the top half at a T30 that's in a pretty saturated market and I'm paying full tuition.

Too early to know how OCI will go, but I just looked at employment stats and finally realized how terrible the market is--it just sunk in.

I'm not seriously considering dropping out since I'm a third of the way through; I'm just at the point where I realized law school may have been the biggest mistake I ever made and I should have just gone out and gotten a regular job after college.

I know there are a lot of people worse off (worse schools, worse ranking, etc.), but I'm just curious what others' thoughts are.
OP: where are you in school? I wouldn't stay in school at sticker if I were you. If you really want to be a lawyer, even facing a terrible market, you should see if you can find a job for the summer. That should be your top priority for a while. If you can't find anything, I would get out of school.

I'm debt averse but I also know something about the market for lawyers. I think you might find something, but it will be very hard. Also, finding something to allow you to service debt at sticker might not be possible. If you don't, then you must cut your losses or you will be struggling with IBR for years.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:55 pm

JetsFan1990 wrote:
sunynp wrote:JetsFan: please don't post in this forum as an 0L. There is a place called ask a law school student made specifically as a place where 0Ls can post. See this sticky at the top of the forum:
To be certain, I can post in this forum in three weeks (when classes start), but not now?? hmmm..
The rules are there for a reason. You are hijacking OPs thread for no purpose but your own speculation. You have no experience or advice to add. If you want to know more, ask in the other forum. Or wait til you start school and start your own thread here. There is a difference even though you do not see it.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:44 am

Perseus_I wrote:
TLSwag wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:The statistics I quoted state that only 25% of the class gets some kind of prestigious employment, and those numbers appear to include Article I clerkships, which do not always lead to a paying legal job. I think the numbers fully back up my statement that, if you do not have something unusual going for you (PI, superior interviewing skills, diversity, IP), then you are in a tough spot outside the top 20%. The data does not lie. If you are paying sticker, you should drop out. If you are not paying sticker, it depends. Less than 20% will ever work in big law, and mid law is not something you can count on.

OP:

Step 1: Is your T30 the flagship law school in your native state, or does it have some other strong connection to your native state? If yes, it's probably worth it to stay if you're willing to take a low-paying job and rely on IBR. Big law or mid law are even slim possibilities, depending on your networking skills and your ability to raise your GPA. If no:

Step 2: Is your debt level such that you could at least manage it (keep it from growing into a mega tax bomb) with a small law job of about $30,000-$50,000/year (best case scenario) or document review (more likely)? If yes, stay. If no:

Step 3: OP, do you have something unusual going for you like well-connected parents, IP, diversity, or amazing verbal persuasive skills on the level of Jeff Winger in Community? If yes, consider staying. If no, the rational thing to do is to drop out.

Common sense, people.
right but you were assuming the bold before... and you said should drop out not "in a tough spot" - two very diff things. can not make a claim about someone dropping out w/o knowing debt financing situation.

also you have a false concept of reality if you think there aren't at least SOME jobs that pay dec - above dec that aren't big law/fed clerkships. i mean i get the point here it may not be a huge portion but there are some and again, you don't know people's debt financing situations to be making outrageous claims like that. some people will graduate debt-free or close to it and can afford to take lower paying jobs.
Yeah, I was (incorrectly) assuming a large amount of debt. Most law students do have a lot of debt, especially median students. So I clarified to account for debt. I make my decisions based on the law of averages, not based upon hope, which is why I attended a T1 without debt rather than a superior non-HYS school I could have attended at sticker. Part of the reason is I am shy and not confident in my ability to hustle for a job outside OCI vs. other much more extroverted students. But I realize that others may operate differently, and broad statements are likely to have multiple exceptions.

I think my steps 1-step 4 are solid as advice because they allow for these exceptions.
Honestly, I stopped taking you seriously when you herpderped about NYC being a cheaper place to live than Dallas/Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”