Graduated, missed out on cum laude, feeling crappy

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sinc

Graduated, missed out on cum laude, feeling crappy

Postby sinc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:09 pm

I swear, not trolling.

Graduated from HLS last month. Top 40% of people get some sort of latin honors. I didn't.

I still feel bad about it. I was really close too (3.56 GPA) - (I think) about 1 or 2 Hs away from cum laude.

3 years ago, I got into both Yale and HLS and chose to go to HLS since I liked Harvard's larger class size and I liked Boston more than New Haven. I'm seriously regretting making that decision.

Since there are so many HLS graduates and such a big portion (40%) of them get honors, I'm afraid that graduating from HLS without honors looks pretty bad. There's no difference between me and someone at the bottom of the class, unless they look at my transcript.

Please tell me I'm being really irrational about this.

I do have a job... but... I dunno. Still feels like I spent 3 years working my ass off at the wrong place and have nothing to show for it.

Tom Joad

Re: Graduated, missed out on cum laude, feeling crappy

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease be joking, mang.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Ok, seriously. What is with the trolls lately? There seems to be an outbreak.

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:17 pm

sinc wrote:I swear, not trolling.

Graduated from HLS last month. Top 40% of people get some sort of latin honors. I didn't.

I still feel bad about it. I was really close too (3.56 GPA) - (I think) about 1 or 2 Hs away from cum laude.

3 years ago, I got into both Yale and HLS and chose to go to HLS since I liked Harvard's larger class size and I liked Boston more than New Haven. I'm seriously regretting making that decision.

Since there are so many HLS graduates and such a big portion (40%) of them get honors, I'm afraid that graduating from HLS without honors looks pretty bad. There's no difference between me and someone at the bottom of the class, unless they look at my transcript.

I do have a job... but... I dunno. Still feels like I spent 3 years working my ass off at the wrong place and have nothing to show for it.

QFP

ph14

Postby ph14 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Sorry man. No one will care really though, and in a few months you won't care or remember either. A lot of firms don't even list latin honors on bios either. Thanks for the data point, I think it matches up with conventional TLS wisdom that around 3.5 is the cut off for cum laude. Guess we know it's slightly higher.

Edit: assuming OP is not a troll.
Last edited by ph14 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:18 pm

:|

Fuck you.
Sincerely.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:19 pm

You are a failure.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:20 pm

You probably shouldn't even take the bar now, your career is basically over. Your job is going to fire you as soon as they find out.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:20 pm

Shoulda gone to Yale.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:21 pm

this thread should be entertaining :lol:

sinc

Postby sinc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:21 pm

I swear I'm not trolling. It's been bothering me for weeks. Especially since I thought 3.55+ would have been good enough for cum laude, and then I didn't get it. One professor also messed up my grades (gave me a P instead of H due to a "transcription error") so for a few minutes I thought fixing that mistake would push me over the line, but it turns out it didn't after they recalculated my GPA.

(BTW, in case they didn't recalculate my GPA correctly, if anyone got cum laude at HLS this year with a 3.56 or lower, let me know, and I'll make it worth your while to help me with this)

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:22 pm

sinc wrote:I swear I'm not trolling. It's been bothering me for weeks. Especially since I thought 3.55+ would have been good enough for cum laude, and then I didn't get it. One professor also messed up my grades (gave me a P instead of H due to a "transcription error") so for a few minutes I thought that'd push me over the line, but it turns out it didn't after they recalculated my GPA.

(BTW, in case they didn't recalculate my GPA correctly, if anyone got cum laude at HLS this year with a 3.56 or lower, let me know, and I'll make it worth your while to help me with this)

Assuming u are not a troll..it comes down to this ...do you have a good job? And how much are they paying u?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:23 pm

If I were next you you I'd punch you in the throat.

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:If I were next you you I'd punch you in the throat.

I'd grab your head by your hair and slam your face into the keyboard, while yelling at you, "you're a fucking FAILURE."

canesfan1986

Postby canesfan1986 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 pm

I'm calling shenanigans.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Lol oh my god what a fucking TTT loser. Should have thought about that before taking on debt for law school.

sinc

Postby sinc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:13 pm

ph14 wrote:Sorry man. No one will care really though, and in a few months you won't care or remember either. A lot of firms don't even list latin honors on bios either. Thanks for the data point, I think it matches up with conventional TLS wisdom that around 3.5 is the cut off for cum laude. Guess we know it's slightly higher.

Edit: assuming OP is not a troll.

Again, not trolling. Yeah I hope I'll stop caring, but... this was my last degree right? It would have been so nice to end my academic career on a good note. And plenty of bios do list latin honors.

sharktankdean wrote:Assuming u are not a troll..it comes down to this ...do you have a good job? And how much are they paying u?

Not doing big law (summered, hated it). I got the job I wanted (government), standard government salary ~$60K.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:If I were next you you I'd punch you in the throat.

I second this.

AZN MegaPoaster

Postby AZN MegaPoaster » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:25 pm

If this is a flame, fuck you. If this is not a flame, fuck you.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:38 pm

I am retracting my serious answer (which didn't consist of "fuck you")

OP's post count is 3 and account creation date is today.

Fail Flame.

But seriously... this is a shitty thing for thousands of law students every year, it always sucks to miss a latin honors cut off by a tiny bit -- but there is not much you can do but cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:36 pm

sinc wrote:

The only way they know you are not cum laude is if they . . . look at your transcript. So you don't have to worry. If they know you're not cum laude, they will also know you have a pretty good GPA from a top school.

Also what the fuck is wrong with you?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Hahahaha

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Since OP is clearly an asshole, I suggest he wipe himself on a piece of resume paper and then write "Harvard Law School" under it and mail that to firms. He will still get a job.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Serious question - are people firebombing the OP just because he went to Harvard or because of the honors thing?

It's funny how TLS is full of aristocratic snowflakes half the time and full of the Les Mis street urchins who hate them the rest.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”