Blind Grading Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ajr

Bronze

Re: Blind Grading

Post by ajr » Wed May 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
rayiner wrote:You're dramatically over-valuing this anecdotal evidence.
Perhaps, but apparently “Blind Grading” isn’t exactly as advertised. I was advised countless times that class participation had zero effect on exam grades. To me Zero is “0.”
This, however is positively not true, at least at my school. People get bumped up/ down one grade level all the time, based on a number of factors such as class participation.

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 pm

gdane wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:I'm surprised that a law prof was allowed to raise one's grade from a "B" to an "A-". This large of a grade increase defeats the purpose of blind grading. Usually class participation grade bumps are limited to half-a-grade (e.g., from a "B" to a "B+").
Tenured professors apparently have a lot of leeway to do stuff like this. My contracts professor flat out told us that sometimes he does not follow the school curve because he's tenured and "he can do whatever the fuck he wants." LOL. No joke he said that.
My Crim Law prof never curves, and has to fight the Registrar every semester to do so. Kind of crazy that in a 40 person class there were ~10 As. Of course, the flip side is that (anecdotally), she actually failed someone as well.

In other classes, at my school, the profs grade blindly, then turn the exams in to the Registrar for curve checks. If they want to bump someone up or down, they give the registrar a list of the students to bump, and the registrar does it while checking the curve. I think this is a good way to do it, because it's at least harder to bump one person up from a B to an A- if you have no idea what they got yet.

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Last edited by Breezin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skyblaze

New

Post by Skyblaze » Wed May 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Read your syllabus...

Any of my Professors that reserved the right to bump for participation explicitly said so in their syllabus, and explicitly said it was only for very rare circumstances.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:29 pm

I don't get it. It's clearly on the syllabus. If you choose not to read it or take advantage of it, that's on you, but that is an EASY grade boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Wed May 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Last edited by Breezin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Breezin wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:I don't get it. It's clearly on the syllabus. If you choose not to read it or take advantage of it, that's on you, but that is an EASY grade boost.
What don't you get?

People are reacting to how big of a boost you got for raising your hand a lot in class. I'm upset by it. Even assuming you had lots of insightful things to say, you underperformed most (and maybe almost all) of your classmates on the exam. Maybe you aren't good at analyzing fact patterns, or maybe you're a bad writer. I don't know. But you don't deserve an A-.
Considering I aced every other class, I'd say it was probably the MC test. You know, I think a fundamental skill would be reading the syllabus. If you did, maybe you would have chosen to participate.

Edit: My other exams were all written and the professors didn't give grade boosts. Considering that I may be #1 at my school, I think I analyze fact patterns far better than my classmates, and probably am not as good at MC tests (not that I studied much for it).

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Wed May 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Last edited by Breezin on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Breezin wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:
Breezin wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:I don't get it. It's clearly on the syllabus. If you choose not to read it or take advantage of it, that's on you, but that is an EASY grade boost.
What don't you get?

People are reacting to how big of a boost you got for raising your hand a lot in class. I'm upset by it. Even assuming you had lots of insightful things to say, you underperformed most (and maybe almost all) of your classmates on the exam. Maybe you aren't good at analyzing fact patterns, or maybe you're a bad writer. I don't know. But you don't deserve an A-.
Considering I aced every other class, I'd say it was probably the MC test. You know, I think a fundamental skill would be reading the syllabus. If you did, maybe you would have chosen to participate.

Edit: My other exams were all written and the professors didn't give grade boosts. Considering that I may be #1 at my school, I think I analyze fact patterns far better than my classmates, and probably am not as good at MC tests (not that I studied much for it).
Unlike you being #1 at a Tier 2 law school, the bolded statement above is relevant to whether you deserve a grade boost.

You don't deserve it. You did worse than most of your classmates on the exam. And you didn't study a lot for it. Now apologize.
I'll take my A- all the way to the T14. And I forgot where potential employers care about how you got your grade. All they see is the letter grade. And because I didn't study before the exam doesn't mean I didn't work. I did tons of work during the semester, but half of the professor's exam had nothing to do with fact patterns. I thought I knew it better because I worked plenty during the semester. Bottom line is it got me into the T14 and I'll probably go to Columbia. So you can keep fishing for an apology, but I have ZERO sympathy for your crying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:09 pm

The point of this thread was whether teachers give grade boosts, not to air your grievances with the system. The answer is yes. Period.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:15 pm

canesfan1986 wrote:The point of this thread was whether teachers give grade boosts, not to air your grievances with the system. The answer is yes. Period.
Not that I care, but just to clear things up...

You've said two different grade bumps, one from a B to an A- and one from a B+ to an A-. Which one is it?

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:18 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:The point of this thread was whether teachers give grade boosts, not to air your grievances with the system. The answer is yes. Period.
Not that I care, but just to clear things up...

You've said two different grade bumps, one from a B to an A- and one from a B+ to an A-. Which one is it?
Mine was B to A-. He rarely gives 2/3 boost but he did for me. Some people I assume got 1/3, i.e. B+ to A-.

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Wed May 23, 2012 5:26 pm

The thing is to know the profs who bump and the ones who don't - some put it on their syllabus, some don't. That's when you ask 2Ls and 3Ls for the rundown.
I got bumped from a B to a B+ in one class last semester. One prof this semester supposedly bumps up two stages on occasion, but that does seem like a lot. I do know that he's somewhat generous with bumps, so I made a point to participate semi-regularly (not gunner level) to guard against getting what would effectively be a bump down if I didn't participate at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Wed May 23, 2012 5:32 pm

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:43 pm

You're right. It's more impressive that someone is better able to answer 100 questions about where a yellow T-Rex can go, what strengthens a science professors argument, and whether someone can understand what the author meant in line 41 about bees.

If you don't like the policy, raise your damned hand instead of being the cool guy who says nothing. Otherwise, stop whining.

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 pm

I'll admit it, but why would I apologize for it? I read it in the syllabus and made a conscious effort to try to get that 2/3 boost. I was well-prepared for class every day and I made it easier for the professor to do his job. I can only see harm if it's not disclosed at the beginning. Otherwise, everyone is well aware of the possibility. Can we at least agree that it's fair if everyone knows or should know about it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Wed May 23, 2012 6:31 pm

This sexual tension is killing me.

canesfan1986

Bronze

Post by canesfan1986 » Wed May 23, 2012 6:38 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:This sexual tension is killing me.
LOL! Greatest post I have ever read on here.

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Wed May 23, 2012 7:28 pm

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm

In UG if a prof wanted to bump someone’s grade (for whatever reason), fine ― it did not directly affect anyone else’s score/grade. But throw The Curve into the mix and if a student with a B+ suddenly gets bumped to an A-, some other student with a A- could be downgraded to a B+ because only so many A- grades are allowed. Am I understanding this right?

Scanning through the posts, I now believe “blind grading” means something other than an exam score is sacrosanct against a professor’s impulse. In short, [some] professors may “blind grade,” but there is more to the story.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Wed May 23, 2012 8:02 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZN MegaPoaster

New

Post by AZN MegaPoaster » Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Breezin wrote:
canesfan1986 wrote:
Breezin wrote:
What don't you get?

Unlike you being #1 at a Tier 2 law school, the bolded statement above is relevant to whether you deserve a grade boost.

You don't deserve it. You did worse than most of your classmates on the exam. And you didn't study a lot for it. Now apologize.
Lol'd. 180.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu May 24, 2012 1:31 am

wow I thought that thing on the syllabus was just so a prof reserved the right to LOWER a grade if some guy was flagrantly slacking off

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu May 24, 2012 6:40 am

Renzo wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:
shock259 wrote:At my school, it means that the prof just sees an exam number when he is grading. He gives it a grade. Then he goes back and matches it up to the student. He then has the option of slightly raising or slightly lowering it in some classes for "participation." After that, hesubmits everyone's grades to the registrar. The registrar then has to approve of the curve he used.
So much for the myth that being active in class has no bearing on your grade. Now I wish I had listened to the advice someone offered me. . . .raise your hand and never take it down!
This is still largely no myth. Most law professors can barely be bothered to grade the exams, let alone put in the extra effort to learn names, take note of meaningful participation, and make according adjustments.
This might be true for some professors, but this hasn't been my experience so far, except for one class where the professor made no effort. I was really surprised by how most of my professors made a real effort to lean everyone's name really quickly. One of my friends started skipping class a lot and his professor wrote him an e-mail asking if he was ok and that she was worried about him. That was a class of around 90 people and he hadn't done anything to stick out. I never really participated in any of my classes and I think almost all of the professors knew my name except for one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”