Drop Out? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Would you drop out of GW Law after 1 year?

Poll ended at Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 am

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 46

jwgames2

New

Drop Out?

Post by jwgames2 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:28 am

My friend goes to GW Law and is deciding whether to drop out or stick with it. She just finished her first year, has mostly C's for grades, and is currently 45K in debt. To stay in law school, she is looking at having to take out another 80K in loans and would likely leave leave school with around 130K in debt.

Personally, I told her to just drop out. I think being at the bottom of the class, even at a school like GW, means you will struggle to find a job and I just don't think it's worth the 130K in debt. Plus, she doesn't seem to like law all that much.

Any thoughts?

alicrimson

Silver

Re: Drop Out?

Post by alicrimson » Wed May 23, 2012 1:32 am

Idk. I think it really depends on what she wants to do. If she just wants to be a lawyer and wouldn't mind working for the Public Defender or the State Attorney's Office, she might be okay yet, IMO. Plus, many states wipe the debt out after ten years. It isn't glamorous but will afford practice and opportunity to eventually move into private practice. I think that your friend's best course of action is contingent on what her underlying motives for attending law school are.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:35 am

Mostly C's lol... how do you even manage that at a supposedly T20 school.. Eff GW

Ok... with further thought.. If she is set on being a lawyer generally then she should stick with it IMO... but if it was for a pipe dream of big money or prestige or some other reason then I think she is effed with straight or mostly C's.... that sucks dude. Hope it improves.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 am

Almost straight C's from GW wont get it done. Honestly, if this was a T10 or even T14 I would say stay, but here this is clearly a drop out situation.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed May 23, 2012 2:00 am

Oh jeez leave

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed May 23, 2012 6:17 am

alicrimson wrote:Idk. I think it really depends on what she wants to do. If she just wants to be a lawyer and wouldn't mind working for the Public Defender or the State Attorney's Office, she might be okay yet, IMO. Plus, many states wipe the debt out after ten years. It isn't glamorous but will afford practice and opportunity to eventually move into private practice. I think that your friend's best course of action is contingent on what her underlying motives for attending law school are.
PDs are still really competitive. A lot of cities aren't even hiring consistently right now because of the economy. I doubt with their pick of candidates they'd go with someone with all Cs.

gokumax

New

Post by gokumax » Wed May 23, 2012 6:57 am

Wait, you said your friend doesn't seem to like the law that much? This one's a no-brainer. Drop out.

/thread

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 23, 2012 7:50 am

OP: What is your class rank ? Since you're interested in corporate law, you're likely to be disappointed due to your poor grades unless you're willing to go into solo practice.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed May 23, 2012 8:13 am

Seriously, if they don't like the law and have done poorly in school, there is absolutely no reason to stay and accrue more debt. Dropping out is the easy answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 am

alicrimson wrote:Idk. I think it really depends on what she wants to do. If she just wants to be a lawyer and wouldn't mind working for the Public Defender or the State Attorney's Office, she might be okay yet, IMO. Plus, many states wipe the debt out after ten years. It isn't glamorous but will afford practice and opportunity to eventually move into private practice. I think that your friend's best course of action is contingent on what her underlying motives for attending law school are.
With regards to the bolded, aren't these positions difficult to get in this economy? I'm hoping to get a position like one of those and I've basically been told on this forum "good luck".

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:22 am

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: What is your class rank ? Since you're interested in corporate law, you're likely to be disappointed due to your poor grades unless you're willing to go into solo practice.
Class rank is likely at/near the bottom. Curve is pretty high at GW. Most people get B/B+ grades because I think it's curved to a 3.1/3.2. Also at a really expensive school like GW, not worth it. Drop out.

Skyblaze

New

Post by Skyblaze » Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 am

I vote for drop only becasue you say your friend doesn't like it. If they don't like the law, for heavan's sake, don't spend a career in it.

pferaso

New

Post by pferaso » Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 am

If she doesn´t like law, she is almost certainly in law school because of the money. Chances are she will not get a high salary out of law school and she will be with a ton of debt. So it is a drop out situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”