TLS Support Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
northwood

Platinum

Re: TLS Support Thread

Post by northwood » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 am

Swimmer11.... Might want to talk to a counselor to get a grasp if stress control techniques and anxiety

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 pm

This is just a quick bump since crunch time is right around the corner. Please reach out if you need support. We're here for you.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:39 am

One of my former students was shot dead on Sunday night...he was just 17. Oh, and one of my co-teachers passed away last week from prolonged illness (obituary wasn't more specific than that). Found out about both this evening. :( Have been so shaken the past few hours that I can't bring myself to be productive to the level I should be during the crunchtime that is November.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:48 am

PinkLotus wrote:One of my former students was shot dead on Sunday night...he was just 17. Oh, and one of my co-teachers passed away last week from prolonged illness (obituary wasn't more specific than that). Found out about both this evening. :( Have been so shaken the past few hours that I can't bring myself to be productive to the level I should be during the crunchtime that is November.
I am sorry to hear that. I don't really have any advice or substantive thing to say, other than I promise it gets better, and spending 30 minutes to an hour talking about it with a friend, family member, or, best of all, student health center therapist will save you time in the long run.

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:37 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
PinkLotus wrote:One of my former students was shot dead on Sunday night...he was just 17. Oh, and one of my co-teachers passed away last week from prolonged illness (obituary wasn't more specific than that). Found out about both this evening. :( Have been so shaken the past few hours that I can't bring myself to be productive to the level I should be during the crunchtime that is November.
I am sorry to hear that. I don't really have any advice or substantive thing to say, other than I promise it gets better, and spending 30 minutes to an hour talking about it with a friend, family member, or, best of all, student health center therapist will save you time in the long run.
This is excellent advice. Don't hide your feelings, and allow yourself to grieve in a healthy way. Those who have grieved before will understand. I'm so sorry for your losses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your losses... If u need an ear to vent.. Im here

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks all for the kindness and condolences...I wish I could be there right now for my former students who were close with the boy who was murdered (as of now, no suspect has been found) :(

I've thought about utilizing the counseling services of the UG connected with my law school, but considering it's nearly mid-Novmeber I'm worried that will eat up too much of my time, and I am SUPER behind (as in just started outlining and doing practice probs in earnest last week when it seems like so many of my classmates have been on top of things since the very beginning)...ugh. :?

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:00 pm

PinkLotus wrote:Thanks all for the kindness and condolences...I wish I could be there right now for my former students who were close with the boy who was murdered (as of now, no suspect has been found) :(

I've thought about utilizing the counseling services of the UG connected with my law school, but considering it's nearly mid-Novmeber I'm worried that will eat up too much of my time, and I am SUPER behind (as in just started outlining and doing practice probs in earnest last week when it seems like so many of my classmates have been on top of things since the very beginning)...ugh. :?
Utilizing the services now will be better than not being able to cope with stress + grief down the road. And while it might seem like everyone is else is more prepared, I can guarantee that your perception is not only probably off, but also that "preparedness" isn't the same as it is in undergrad. You either get it or you don't. Keep at it and do your best, but get the care you need as well. You'll be glad you did.

Hopefully that didn't sound too harsh, but sometimes I think it's best to be straightforward in encouraging someone to take care of themselves. You deserve happiness! Best wishes.

ArtVandelayy

New

Post by ArtVandelayy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:27 pm

redact
Last edited by ArtVandelayy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 pm

ArtVandelayy wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Does any other 1L out there feel like they will be on the verge of killing themselves if there grades are not up to snuff? I, personally, feel like I would seriously be concerned with my mental health. I have always battled depression, and the idea of failing again, I do not know if I would be able to handle it. I just am fucking concerned.

Been feeling like this for a solid few weeks now. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and self-confidence issues for most of my life, and the competitive environment at my school is only compounding this problem.
I'm right here with ya, bud. Law school has kicked my lifelong inferiority complex, social anxiety, and depression into serious overdrive. Even though I have a scholarship to the school I currently attend, I feel each and every day that the admissions office made a grave mistake in even admitting me in the first place...I'm so, so terrified of failing out.

I'm clinging on to the notion I keep reading on here that the practice of law is nothing like the first year law school--the only aspect of the 1L experience I've really enjoyed so far has been pro bono work, so hopefully that's a sign that the actual practice of law won't be nearly as misery inducing!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:34 pm

ArtVandelayy wrote:[quote="swimmer11"Been feeling like this for a solid few weeks now. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and self-confidence issues for most of my life, and the competitive environment at my school is only compounding this problem.

Even worse is that I lost my father to suicide when I was younger. I've seen firsthand the aftermath of suicide. It's a fucking trainwreck, and it definitely messed me up for a while - my mom even more. And yet I find myself contemplating it all the time, and by that I mean having thoughts of "wow, I don't see my life ending any other way" and subsequently researching methods. I think the only reason I haven't acted on these thoughts is because I can't begin to imagine what it'd do to my mom.

All this to say, I'm right there with you, dude. Struggling majorly. Yet I want so badly to succeed and do well in law school (and then open doors to a fruitful career). The angst I have about failing is eating away at me.
FIrst off my condolences to your loss when you were younger. You should seriously consider talking to someone( as in do it asap!). Having suicidal thoughts and then reserching methods to do it is a strong indicator. Law school is a marathon, and it is important to lear how to mange the stress and feelings that come along with it. The legal career is not a happy career, and depression and substance abuse runs rapent in the field. SO it may be a great idea for your career to take time off from school and lern some coping techniques and continue in the fall of next year. SO go talk to someome ASAP!

that being said, you can only control your preparation for the exam. Trust that you gave it your best, and that you prepared as best as you can- and let the chips fall where it may. Just because you dont do well by TLS standards, doesnt mean that you cant have a fruitful legal career. WHile it is on your mind, its something that you cant do much about, so take time to forget about it and jus focus on what you can do today to get ready for the exams.
I am in the minority here, but i honestly beleie that grades, while important are not teh end all be all. YOu need to be personable and have good social skils. Otherwise, you are jsut good on paper, but not in the flesh.

Best of luck, and remember, that while this forum is full of internet strangers, we all want to see you do well, and live a long and happy life. Anytime you need to vent, im here for you.

S

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm

pinkcamellia--this is another great resource to add to the first post of this thread: --LinkRemoved--
(law student mental health advocacy program named for Fordham Law student who committed suicide in 2005)

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:32 am

PinkLotus wrote:pinkcamellia--this is another great resource to add to the first post of this thread: --LinkRemoved--
(law student mental health advocacy program named for Fordham Law student who committed suicide in 2005)
Thanks! Adding to OP now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:05 am

pinkcamellia--another good resource is this link to local lawyer's assistance programs categorized by state; many have confidential help lines for lawyers/law students struggling with depression, anxiety, suicidality, etc.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/lawye ... state.html

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:35 am

ArtVandelayy wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Does any other 1L out there feel like they will be on the verge of killing themselves if there grades are not up to snuff? I, personally, feel like I would seriously be concerned with my mental health. I have always battled depression, and the idea of failing again, I do not know if I would be able to handle it. I just am fucking concerned.

Been feeling like this for a solid few weeks now. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and self-confidence issues for most of my life, and the competitive environment at my school is only compounding this problem.

Even worse is that I lost my father to suicide when I was younger. I've seen firsthand the aftermath of suicide. It's a fucking trainwreck, and it definitely messed me up for a while - my mom even more. And yet I find myself contemplating it all the time, and by that I mean having thoughts of "wow, I don't see my life ending any other way" and subsequently researching methods. I think the only reason I haven't acted on these thoughts is because I can't begin to imagine what it'd do to my mom.

All this to say, I'm right there with you, dude. Struggling majorly. Yet I want so badly to succeed and do well in law school (and then open doors to a fruitful career). The angst I have about failing is eating away at me.
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard suicide is to deal with. Since you say you are struggling, maybe you should see someone at your school even just to talk to about how you feel. I know it has been mentioned here before, but the 30 minutes you'll spend speaking with a counselor can often be really helpful in the long run, even if it seems like you can't make time for it now.

I hope that things get better soon. Hang in there! We are here for you and want you to be happy and healthy. :)

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:50 pm

I did people who are overly anxious/neurotic deal with the prospect of failing your first semester exams? I have been studying extensiviely, front-loaded early in the semester so I could focus on PT and hypos right around this time, but I keep feeling like I am not dong enough. It is stressing me out, making me overly anxious, and making me more and more depressed as the time towards finals come.

If anyone was in my situation (overly anxious/neurotic), how did you deal with this?

Besides Xanex which I am prescribed.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:12 pm

I was going a little crazy by the time finals came around too. I took a few days off entirely. Played video games, took lots of baths, worked out, drove my car around, and did whatever to totally forget law school and all the pressure I put on myself. It really helped give me the last juice I needed to push through.

Not sure if the same will work for you, but hope this helps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Bump.

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Bump.
Hang in there everyone! If you need anybody to talk to, feel free to PM. :)

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:25 pm

CorkBoard wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Bump.
Hang in there everyone! If you need anybody to talk to, feel free to PM. :)
Same here :D.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ArtVandelayy

New

Post by ArtVandelayy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, once again, I find myself depressed, withdrawn, and generally disinterested in people the last week or so.

I struggled with suicidal ideations last semester, but chalked it mostly up to the mounting stress of finals (not to mention an extensive family history of depression and bipolar disorder). As I progressed further downward, I sought counseling through one of the administrators at my school and also started taking Zoloft. I had really hoped that this semester would be much better, but it is quickly becoming evident that things are very much the same. I'm falling behind on reading and, even worse, growing so distant from my classmates that I fear I've doomed myself for not only the rest of this year, but also the next two years. I'm pretty sure today I went the entire day without really talking to anyone. Maybe there were a few brief exchanges about classwork, etc., but I just don't have a single friend in school, and it only makes me want to come right back to my apartment after class and be even more miserable.

I don't know what the hell it is....I haven't had nearly as much difficulty finding my niche socially in the past, but thus far, the months that I've been in law school have honestly been the worst of my life.

If it weren't for my mom, and how badly it would affect her, I'd have no hesitation just ending things...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 pm

[quote="ArtVandelayy"]

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go talk to someone, anyone, right now. Life is beautiful and life is wonderful. Law school sucks balls, and i can honestly tell you that my one big regret is that I didnt leave law school last year ( im a 2L- at least for now). While I dont know how you feel, I do know that im feelilng something very similar as you, and Im working on my plan to leave law school and move on. Yea it sucks, but If its sucking you down that much, maybe its not for you, and there are other beautiful and wonderful things you can do.

You have a lot of good to give.... dont let law school be the last thing on your mind...

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm so sorry to read this. :cry: This was me last semester, and through seeking help it definitely has gotten better. Please PM me for details re: my circumstances. I have been assisted by this thread and would love to pay it fwd to other struggling law students.
Last edited by BlueLotus on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtVandelayy

New

Post by ArtVandelayy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:46 pm

northwood wrote:
ArtVandelayy wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go talk to someone, anyone, right now. Life is beautiful and life is wonderful. Law school sucks balls, and i can honestly tell you that my one big regret is that I didnt leave law school last year ( im a 2L- at least for now). While I dont know how you feel, I do know that im feelilng something very similar as you, and Im working on my plan to leave law school and move on. Yea it sucks, but If its sucking you down that much, maybe its not for you, and there are other beautiful and wonderful things you can do.

You have a lot of good to give.... dont let law school be the last thing on your mind...
Thanks so much for your compassion and understanding...unfortunately I think I'd be even more depressed if I dropped out. As corny as it is, I've been wanting to go to law school for so long and finally realized that goal this year at a T14. Dropping out, to me at least, is akin to giving up, failing even. I would feel like such a massive failure in the eyes of my family, my friends from home, my friends from college. That I could never handle. I already feel as though I've squandered away the opportunity of my life this year after putting forth minimal effort last semester and consequently ending up directly at median.
Last edited by ArtVandelayy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”