Hey y'all, with the generous help of Nightrunner I've put together this thread as a resource for those of you experiencing struggles in the law school environment. This is a safe place where you can post anonymously about issues you're facing as a result of law school. These things include: depression, anxiety, thoughts of suicide, where to get help on or off-campus.
What is not welcome here: simply complaining about exams, trolling, egging people on to hurt themselves or others.
Resources if you are having thoughts of suicide:http://www.hopeline.com/
- You can live chat with someone or call 1-800-273-TALK
Call a trusted friend or family member and tell them how you are feeling
Reach out to your law school's wellness center and tell them that the need to see a therapist is urgenthttp://www.daveneefoundation.com/
Law student mental health advocacy program
Resources if you feel anxious or depressed:http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml
- National Institute of Mental Health on anxietyhttp://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml
- National Institute of Mental Health on depressionhttp://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm
- How to tell if you have anxiety and should seek help, including what you can do to help yourself right nowhttp://www.helpguide.org/topics/depression.htm
- The same thing, but for depressionhttp://www.anxietypanic.com/
- This site has general info and a message board to talk with others who are feeling anxioushttp://www.lawyerswithdepression.com/
- Lawyers and other professionals in law-related fields who have experienced depression
I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread - y'all can also feel free to PM me. If I'm not available at that moment and you need to talk, I will find someone who is available and can talk to you.
Everyone who has been in law school has experienced some sort of struggle. You are not alone. Lawyers are highly susceptible to depression and anxiety, and law school can run you into the ground emotionally. Just because these things are true does not make them okay, and it does not have to be your new normal.
Please, if you are having thoughts of suicide, feeling anxious or depressed, seek help right away.