What's a good supplement for Legislation Regulation? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
consigliere0329

New

What's a good supplement for Legislation Regulation?

Post by consigliere0329 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

It's a newer course at most law schools, I guess some aren't even requiring it yet. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good supplement?

apl6783

Bronze

Re: What's a good supplement for Legislation Regulation?

Post by apl6783 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Mastering Statutory Interpretation.

Use it for the canons of construction/other methods of statutory analysis, use it for the Chevron cases and their analysis. Use your casebook for the state farm/hard look review stuff.

That class has very little substantive material. If you're vaguely aware of what the course is about during the semester you can spend one solid day with that book studying for it/outlining and make an A, assuming you understand how to take LS exams.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Ugh, my legislation class is all over the place. I thought it would be about statutory interpretation, but, I'm actually not sure what we're supposed to have learned. We just read civil rights cases and then answer "what did the majority hold?" "what did the dissent hold?" I don't think any supplement is gonna help.

consigliere0329

New

Post by consigliere0329 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:11 am

apl6783 wrote:Mastering Statutory Interpretation.

Use it for the canons of construction/other methods of statutory analysis, use it for the Chevron cases and their analysis. Use your casebook for the state farm/hard look review stuff.

That class has very little substantive material. If you're vaguely aware of what the course is about during the semester you can spend one solid day with that book studying for it/outlining and make an A, assuming you understand how to take LS exams.
Thanks, I'll look that up.

Leg Reg and Con Law I've hardly been able to pay attention in. My Con Law teacher is great, the material is just so damn boring and he doesn't do ANY cold calling at all because he's a pretty laid back guy, so I don't even have that small fear that I should read in case I get called on. Probably would be better if he did do some cold calling, but hard to really complain about that.

My Leg Reg teacher really knows the material and is an expert in Admin law and a brilliant guy, but he's kind of all over the place, talks about every single angle to things but not even in any kind of order. It's pretty much impossible to really take notes. You can get some stuff down, but if even if you had a word for word transcript of the class it would be like putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle. And on top of all that, it is incredibly dull material and cases where it just seems like people are constantly manipulating situations to get the results they want so there is no real continuity to the reasoning behind things (basically like Con Law).

Say what you want about classes like Civil Procedure but at least they have some order to them. Any day now you could have a single Supreme Court justice go crazy and all of a sudden the entire landscape of our country would change.

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:34 am

Does Mastering Statutory Interpretation include things like hypos and practice problems?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”